SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2018, 12:25 AM   #1
STaRDoGG
STaRDoGG is on a distinguished road

Question P0455: Where to put the smoke? ;)

So I have emissions coming up, and of course, literally, the DAY AFTER I get the notice, my CEL comes on ... thjs seems to happen every single time emissions time comes up; starting to suspect they program this into the onboard CPU to keep the money flowing into the auto industry, but i digress.

I replaced the gas cap with the cheapest Stant one available on RockAuto, and thought it seems to fit nice and tight, I still have that code showing as pending, even after clearing the codes, it comes back.

So now I want to build a DIY smoke machine to push some smoke through the evap system to look for leaks, but, no idea where to attach the hose to, to send it through. I've Googled around, Youtube'd around, and looked under the hood myself, and still havent come to a conclusion, so here I am asking ...

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to STaRDoGG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help STaRDoGG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
STaRDoGG is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2018, 02:09 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P0455: Where to put the smoke? ;)

I'm at a loss why you couldn't find general info for injecting smoke into the evaporative emissions plumbing. Presuming most evap systems are similar, pushing smoke should be easy. I don't have info for '08 Vues but presume the P0455 error code applies to every vehicle - DTC P0455 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Large Leak Detected. The gas cap is the first attempt for most situations. I'll use descriptions for '05 Vues for sending smoke into a system.

There are several steps for setting up smoke but the main points are to 1)use a gas cap adapter from GM with a port to send smoke into the evap system, 2)power the vent valve solenoid, next to the fuel fill pipe to seal the evap system. Sending smoke thru a gas cap adapted with a port allows smoke into the fuel/evap system. GM uses their scantool to command the vent valve closed. You'd have to find a way to send 12v to the vent valve. There may be another easier way to find the large leak, depending on vehicle age.

As vehicles age, parts of the country influences aging. The rust belt states may use salt for winter snow/ice melt and superb ice melt corrodes any part of the vehicle not protected by weather resistant coatings. Examining the fuel and vapor lines from the fuel filler pipe to tank may be one place to start looking for severe corrosion. Under chassis fuel lines are the next area to examine. Rubber hoses and clamps next.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:51 AM   #3
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

What year, engine, trans, model do you have??

On my 'Rescue Vue", I had a couple problems:

1) The gas cap seal wasn't a good fit. I bought a rubber o-ring and pushed it on the gas cap to give the seal a little more sealing ability

2) The Evap return and fuel lines on mine were rusted bad.. I replaced both lines. Scroll down to post 9..

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215542

3) There are two valves that control the Evap purge, One in the engine compartment and one on the charcoal canister thats on the drivers side near the rear wheel. As the charcoal cannister gets old, the charcoal dust will start breaking lose and can get up into the valves and start jamming them.

To clean the valves, I used a can of Carb Cleaner, and a small 9 volt radio battery to energize the valve.

I unplugged the hoses and electrical connector from the valve, then used a couple small test clips (wires with electrical clips) and the 9 volt battery to cycle the valve, on - off - on - off - on - off a bunch of times while I sprayed carb cleaner in the valve.

Clear the codes and go for a ride.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
STaRDoGG

Thanks for the help guys.

@fdryer: If I were to get one of those gas caps with a port for the smoke; how would I be able to tell if it's in fact, my own gas cap that's bad, since I'd be putting a different gas cap on it?

@waiter: I just replaced the vent valve solenoid with a new one 2 years ago during the last emissions test fiasco, as well as 1 new O2 sensor. btw, it's a 2008 Vue, 3.6L.

Meanwhile, they're burning hundreds of tires in Gaza!

For some reason I suspect it to be a gas cap sealing issue. I'm mostly wondering if I got a "bad" new gas cap from Rock Auto, as I've read it happen to many other posters in other forums, but I also want to do a 'quick' smoke test. The gas cap I just bought *seems* to click in nice and solid, but who knows, maybe for whatever reason, it's just not doing the job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help STaRDoGG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As fuel level drops in a tank, a vacuum develops. The gas cap has a valve to allow air into the tank. When screwing the cap back on, a gasket seals against the plastic fuel neck. Examining for wear on the top part of the fuel fill pipe shouldn't reveal large nicks, dirt or damage to prevent the cap from sealing. The P0455 error code occurs when the fuel system is sealed to test for pressure (less than 3 psi) in the evap system as well as vacuum. P0455 is generated when a vacuum isn't detected due to a large leak in the vapor lines. A small vacuum tests for a sealed fuel system. The tank mounted pressure and vacuum sensor measures vapor pressures and vacuum.The majority of aftermarket gas caps are good when you can hear clicks from screwing the caps on. The clicks are plastic versions of a torque wrench - disassembling these caps will reveal a plastic ratchet design to allow just so much tightening before the clicks are heard to prevent overtightening.

It's your choice to use a home made smoke system or examine the fuel vent lines as suggested. My L300 has a large steel pipe feeding fuel from fuel neck to rubber line connected to tank. Running in parallel to this steel pipe is a small diameter steel line, the fuel vent line connecting to the fuel vent valve. Both are in front of the right passenger wheel and gets hit with road rash, water and NYCs superb road salts. P0455 popped up and wouldn't go away. Another thread mentioned a corroded fuel and vent line with the same error code so I ordered a replacement set. As soon as I removed these two lines, it was obvious the small vent line corroded severely and cracked by a bracket holding the two lines together. Severe rusting from salted roads after 13 yrs. Periodic inspections didn't turn up anything in previous years but one error code, P0442(?) did come and go. P0455 remained once the vent line opened from rust. Several layers of undercoat and the new lines should last another 13+(?) years. I replaced the cap first. No more evap system errors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
STaRDoGG

Great info, much appreciated @fdryer.

I did already whip up a quicky "smoke machine" but havent had the chance to tackle to project yet. We'll see how things pan out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!