SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
wagoneer
wagoneer is on a distinguished road

Default Battery replacement

04 L300 sat for a year or so, then I replaced the battery and altho the battery tests at full charge, there is no connection to the electrical system. Nothing is getting any power at all. Terminal connections are solid so I assume something has tripped and interrupted the main circuit. (Especially since there is a fuse box right next to the positive terminal.) How do I reset this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wagoneer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wagoneer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Battery replacement

Welcome to the Board.

Assuming that the new battery is good and that the battery cables are indeed on properly and tight check the fuses. Use a test light.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
martx-5
martx-5 is on a distinguished road

Are you sure you have the polarity correct when you put in the new battery?? I don't know about your car, but on my Miata, if you jump the battery backwards or intall the battery backwards, it blows the main fuse and kills everything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to martx-5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help martx-5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
martx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
wagoneer
wagoneer is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Battery replacement Next Step - fuses?

The obvious basics such as polarity have been double checked and I've been working on my cars for decades without a lot of bozo boo boos so I'm pretty sure there is a fuse related problem here. I've opened the fuse box next to the battery and there are 3 empty screw sockets running down the center of it. I'm familiar with the older glass tube fuses but not with these square plastic head fuses so I haven't begun to test them. The older ones are visibly bad when they burn out but I need a brief primer on what these new one's look like and how to test them. I can use a test light or a multimeter and since there is no power to anything including the dome light I would expect to have to start with a "main" fuse but didnt see anything to i.d. that one. I've been able to do most jobs if I have a good shop manual to show how so if there is an online diy for these type fuses that's probably all I need.
Finally, by way of analysis, when I put a trickle charger on the previous battery, I did get weak lights and a feeble alarm (since there was not enuf charge to allow the key transmitter to disable alarm) but after putting in the new battery - zip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wagoneer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wagoneer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman
Welcome to the Board.

Assuming that the new battery is good and that the battery cables are indeed on properly and tight check the fuses. Use a test light.

To repeat. Use a test light to check the fuses.

Any fuse that shows power on one side but not the other is bad. Pull out one fuse to have a look at it to see how it is constructed. The very top of the fuses have an opening where you make contact with the fuse terminals.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote