SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
kristen27
kristen27 is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Saturn Vue Troubles

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue with about 62,000 miles on it, and have been having some problems

My service engine light came on last month and wouldnt go off for about 3 weeks, I thought it was the gas cap being loose after the first week (i have had that happen many times and i would tighten it and it would go off in about 3 days) this time it didnt go off after getting gas 2 more times and making sure it was clicking to tighten the cap.

After 3 weeks it went off and then stayed off for another week and 2 weeks ago its come back on. i have a little hand held reader which i checkedf last time it came on and this time and I get 'no code'

I dont know if this has anything to do with the other physical problems im experiencing with the car. if im going over 30 mph and i start to come to a stop my steering wheel will shake. Im having problems getting enough power? to get up hills.

I was noticing a chirping like noise whenever i would excellerate from a stop and that has stopped and only happens when i have the air conditioner on.

I did replace a serpentine belt? 3 months ago.

I had my oil changed 1,000 miles ago and i watched the guy reset my light but now my change oil light will come on when i start and stay on for about 5 minutes then go off. I dont know what thats about.

Last thing. I had an automatic starter installed and he did it by hooking things up under a panel thats under my steerling wheel he never did anything under the hood, either way now when I go to lock my doors with the new remote it doesnt beep as if the alarm has been set and im wondering if that means he disarmed it? and how can i get the beep back.

Sorry this was so long :/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kristen27's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kristen27 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kristen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
3RedLines
3RedLines has a spectacular aura about3RedLines has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 2003 Saturn Vue Troubles

I'll take a stab at it

Some scanners I've seen have trouble reading EVAP codes. The "Loose gas cap code" is one of them.

Steering wheel shake...Possibly warped rotors.

Chirping noise... Sounds like it may be a slipping serpentine belt or bad tensioner.

Oil Change Light.....Did he:

After changing the engine oil, perform the following steps:
1. Turn the ignition to RUN, with the engine OFF.
2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within 5 seconds.

If the Change Oil light flashes, the system has been reset. The light will flash for up to 30 seconds or until the ignition is turned OFF.

I think the remote start has its own security system and doesn't use the original security system built into the BCM. Perhaps you can try your original remote and see if the original security system works.

Maybe someone else can chime in and give their thoughts?

2007 STS-V
2006 STS 1SC
2005 STS 1SE MRC, ACC, HUD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3RedLines's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3RedLines reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3RedLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

Can't use the gas pedal to reset an '03-have to use the button inside the underhood fuse block to reset the oil life monitor. Your owner's manual will have the info you need.

As for the other symptoms, if you have a 4 cylinder automatic (you didn't say which powertrain you have), it sounds like a VTi transaxle that is starting to slip-this could also be the source of the Service Engine Soon lamp illumination. My advice is to take it to your saturn retailer and have them scan it and listen to the noise. IF it is a VTi trans and IF it is the source then it will likely be covered in part or in full (dependent upon if you are 1st owner or not). If not, you can pay the diagnostic fee and fix it or not, depending upon how serious it is. Good luck-post up again if you have any more info.

Oh, and as for the car starter-who knows what they hacked up when installing it. My advice is to NEVER, EVER install those things, but if one insists upon having them take it back to the installer if it is still under warranty and make them fix or remove it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

The 2003 VUEs have a lot of front end noise (gives them character...)
Problems could be the CV/bearing assemblies or out-of-balance tires. If it happens when you are braking, it could be a bad rotor.

Can you tell us your engine size and your transmission? MoparNut's post is most applicable if you have a VTi. If you do, you should look at the threads on the boards about the VTi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen27 View Post
I have a 2003 Saturn Vue with about 62,000 miles on it, and have been having some problems

1 My service engine light came on last month and wouldnt go off for about 3 weeks, I thought it was the gas cap being loose after the first week (i have had that happen many times and i would tighten it and it would go off in about 3 days) this time it didnt go off after getting gas 2 more times and making sure it was clicking to tighten the cap.

After 3 weeks it went off and then stayed off for another week and 2 weeks ago its come back on. i have a little hand held reader which i checkedf last time it came on and this time and I get 'no code'

2 I dont know if this has anything to do with the other physical problems im experiencing with the car. if im going over 30 mph and i start to come to a stop my steering wheel will shake. Im having problems getting enough power? to get up hills.

3 I was noticing a chirping like noise whenever i would excellerate from a stop and that has stopped and only happens when i have the air conditioner on.

I did replace a serpentine belt? 3 months ago.

4 I had my oil changed 1,000 miles ago and i watched the guy reset my light but now my change oil light will come on when i start and stay on for about 5 minutes then go off. I dont know what thats about.

5 Last thing. I had an automatic starter installed and he did it by hooking things up under a panel thats under my steerling wheel he never did anything under the hood, either way now when I go to lock my doors with the new remote it doesnt beep as if the alarm has been set and im wondering if that means he disarmed it? and how can i get the beep back.

Sorry this was so long :/
1) Have the code read at the dealer and repair as indicated

2) Replace brake rotors

3) Accessories drive belt requires more tension

4) OLM reset not properly done - consult owner's manual

5) Ask the dealer service people but since you have had aftermarket electronic equipment installed don't expect much help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Rogermartin
Rogermartin is on a distinguished road

Hi Kristen27, I am also a new member. I had the same thing happen with me about the gas cap. Check the cap for cracks around the seal. I was amazed when I looked at mine after taking it to the dealership to have them check it out. It was well worth the $45.00 to have them run their diagnostics on it. I was glad to find out it was just the gas cap causing the "ses" light to come on. The shaking thing with the steering wheel I found out myself by replacing the rotors on them and that took care of the shaking. I experienced that one after having my brakes done and instead of replacing the rotors they just had them "turned" down. Never will I do this again. Now the only problem I have now is the pads squeak really bad but they work. I am going to investigate on how to get rid of the squeaking of the pads. Now for the oil light coming on. I had the same thing happen after I had the oil changed at one of those "quick lube" places and had the dealership I went to check that when I took it in for the gas cap problem. It hasen't come on yet since then. So I will definetly check that they reset my light properly when I have the oil changed or decide to change it myself. Now, for the automatic starter problem. I have heard that if you have something like that installed at a aftermarket place that it can really screw up the computer system on your car and it won't work properly. A buddy of mine had an older SL sedan and he wanted to have a starter put on it also but the guys at the place where he was going to have it installed at told him that it would mess up his system and it wouldn't work properly. So that is all the info I have to share with you about the things that are going on with your saturn vue. Good luck and I hope this helps you out. Roger Martin(radar91186@hotmail.com)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rogermartin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rogermartin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rogermartin is offline   Reply With Quote