SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 11:56 AM   #1
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Default G.M. Puts Off Its Hybrids, changes VUE plans

(free registration required

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/06/bu...06auto.html?th

Quote:

By DANNY HAKIM

Published: November 6, 2003

DETROIT, Nov. 5 - General Motors has delayed plans to sell a hybrid vehicle similar to the Toyota Prius by two years, until 2007, according to people close to the company's product development strategy.

That means that Ford, which plans to sell a hybrid version of its Escape sport utility vehicle next year, will put a light-duty, Prius-style hybrid on the road about three years before its American rival.

G.M. has previously laid out plans to offer fuel-saving electric technologies as options on as many as a dozen models this decade, if the demand for such vehicles materializes. Most of the vehicles would reduce gasoline consumption 10 percent to 15 percent.
The new plan for the Saturn Vue is to equip it with a small electric starter system that allows the engine to shut off at stops, as well as advanced transmission technology for overall fuel savings of 12 percent to 15 percent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2003, 01:19 PM   #2
IdentityLost!!!

Boooo! I was looking forward to it. I think they estimated it getting 40 miles per gallon! Saturn is getting left behind again. I hate not being the favorite child.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IdentityLost!!!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IdentityLost!!! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 11-06-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

looooosers. the 04 prius is 2nd-gen now. there was one at the toyota dealer the other day and they said they have a 6 month waiting list for them. at least the EV1 was a 'first'. but wait... it's gone now.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2003, 03:01 PM   #4
WeeeZer14
Advanced Member
WeeeZer14 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The '04 Prius is 2nd-gen, but some parts are already 3rd gen. Similar over at the Honda camp. GM is getting way behind the ball if they keep pushing off their first generation. And as we all know they can do all the testing they want, but real-world (read: general public) testing is the best.

In the VUE forum discussion of this topic I pondered if GM is focussing too much on fuel cell and "easy" goals (displacement on demand, etc). Maybe what happened is that GM heard all the complaints about the VTi in the VUE and people upset for being test subjects that they wanted to avoid similar complaints. I hope not because 1.) I would love to be their test subject (to a limit of course) and 2.) makes you wonder if they doubt their technology that much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WeeeZer14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WeeeZer14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2003, 03:22 PM   #5
Uncle Buck
Uncle Buck is on a distinguished road

Let the other guys spend $ developing and educating the market. It took Microsoft Windows until 1995 to do what the Mac was doing in 1989. Which are you using to view this thread?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uncle Buck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uncle Buck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2003, 04:00 PM   #6
Leo
Leo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Buck
Let the other guys spend $ developing and educating the market. It took Microsoft Windows until 1995 to do what the Mac was doing in 1989. Which are you using to view this thread?
This is a really bad analogy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2003, 04:09 PM   #7
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It took Apple until 2002 to do what Unix was doing in 1969 (a shell)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Xanatos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Xanatos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2003, 05:22 PM   #8
hasitha
hasitha is on a distinguished road

As I understand, they are going to convert the big SUV's in to hybrids instead of the Vue. Assuming they have a limited budget dedicated to hybrids, and I wasn't going to buy a hybrid Vue anyway, I agree with them on this one.
I think it is the best way to conserve fuel. Say a typical Vue sells for about $20,000 and a big SUV sells for about $35,000. If the hybrid adds $3000 to the sticker, somebody spending $35,000 would be willing to pay extra $3000 than somebody paying $20,000. Keep in mind that you have to spend at least $16,000 to get a midsize car. So the Vue is really playing in the low price range where an extra $3000 is a lot.
Assuming ultimately we want to use less gas, a 2.2L Vue with a manual will 30mpg at best (ours did) and lets say the big SUV gets only 15mpg. To drive 3000 miles the Vue would need 100 gallons and the big guy would need 200 gallons. If the Hybrid option lets you use use 20% less fuel, then you will save 20 gallons in the Vue and 40 gallons in the big SUV. In my mind the better choice is to improve the fuel efficiency of the high volume gas guzzlers than niche vehicles like the EV1, Prius, Insight etc.
Having said that, our 97sc2 gets 30/35 and the Vue does about 25/29. We bought the most fuel efficient we can to meet our needs. For us that is being environmentally friendly.

-> Hasitha
97sc2 5m
02 Vue 5m

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hasitha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hasitha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2003, 12:31 AM   #9
johnsocal
johnsocal is on a distinguished road

So I guess the Saturn "Green-Line" has already been "flat-lined" by GM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnsocal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnsocal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2003, 05:59 AM   #10
DualCamCoupe
Advanced Member
DualCamCoupe is on a distinguished road

I love how the American car manufacturers refuse to invest in the future, then whine and cry when the Japanese beat their pants off. This decade they are complaining that they have to spend too much money of health care for retired workers because they didn't put any away while those employees were working. Next decade they'll be complaining about having to play catch up to the Japanese in hybrid cars, because they aren't investing now. You'll have to excuse me if I won't take their bittching and moaning too seriously.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DualCamCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DualCamCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2003, 08:18 AM   #11
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

The pay back in dollars and cents.

***Warning! Boring math problems ahead***

Assume the hybrid or whatever gets double the gas mileage of the standard car, vue, whatever.

$3000 mark up
$1.50 /gal gas
Assume 30 mpg (big hybrid suv)
$3000 / $1.50 = 2000 gal of gas used
2000 gallons of gas X 30 MPG = 60,000 miles

You would have to drive 60K miles to get a total cost savings for operating the big SUV.

Now for the littler VUE,

$3000 / $1.50 /gal =2000 gallons of gas
2000 gallons X 60 MPG (small SUV, or car) = 120,000 miles!

***math prob's over, read on***

All that to get the pay back for higher fuel efficiency. See you in ten years. Oh there is one thing. The increased cost of ownership is “More moving parts = more Maintenance Money”, and that is typical.

But you can feel good about driving your "efficient" car. GM knows that, but the introductorary cost is too high yet. It needs to half of that amount, or at the 3-year payoff point.

Try the numbers. Or have I really missed something here? (I am ignoring the political, environmental, or religious considerations.) Money talks.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2003, 10:02 AM   #12
jolym
jolym is on a distinguished road

It is not accurate to say GM is not investing in hybrid technology. In fact, GM is already making hybrid buses for the Seattle and is working with a number of other cities to do similar projects.

As stated above, GM will use the same technology it is developing for the buses in its larger SUVs.

The problem with the VUE is that whatever GM developed for the VUE could be used only on the VUE. Investing money to tool for a vechicle that may sell only in the area of 20k units per year is a waste.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jolym's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jolym reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2003, 12:21 PM   #13
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You mean crashing? I don't remember Macs being so unstable.

Anyway, I'm doing research on fuel cells. It seems that GM is investing more money and time into alternative power sources and new concept designs (Hywire is one such concept). As far as I'm concerned, let the competition waste resources on hybrids while Detroit looks into alternative fuel sources as substitutes. As far as I'm concerned, gasoline will be gone in our future. It's too early to tell how long it will take, but GM estimates that they will have these products out within 10 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zborgerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2003, 01:27 PM   #14
Fitter Roger
Fitter Roger is on a distinguished road

Please go to the VUE board and read my 4 replies to this topic.

It makes perfecrt sense what GM is doing.

For more info on Hybrids from GM go to ai-online.com, back issues Feb 2003.

Remeber that GM and Ford have tons of E85 hybrids running around and nobody cares. I have only on station that sells E85 in a 70 mile radius.

Roger D

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fitter Roger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fitter Roger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2003, 01:45 PM   #15
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
huh. my classic mac doesn't crash nearly as much as my ibm pc with windows 95 does.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2003, 02:05 PM   #16
germ
Advanced Member
germ is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by Xanatos
It took Apple until 2002 to do what Unix was doing in 1969 (a shell)
And they're still have problem getting that totally correct. Especially with the latest version of their OS. In all honesty though,I've recently been thinking of swtiching to Apples. Just the latest snafu give me one more reason to stick with my windows pc.

But this is a Saturn board,so here's the blurb that C&D ran on this whole deal:

Saturn Delays Hybrid Intro

The Daily Auto Insider
Friday, November 7, 2003
November 2003

General Motors is planning to delay its introduction of a Saturn Vue SUV with a gasoline-electric hybrid engine, The Wall Street Journal reported.

GM had planned to launch the Saturn Vue hybrid in late 2005. Now, GM will introduce it sometime in early 2006, but only with a "mild-hybrid" engine that would generate fuel efficiencies of about 10 perecent instead of the 40 miles per gallon performance of a more robust hybrid system.

GM also wants to focus more intently on a plan to introduce gas-electric hybrid engines in its large Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon sport-utility vehicles in the 2007 model year, the WSJ said.

Here's another article that give a little more insight to their decision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to germ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help germ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2003, 07:33 AM   #17
DualCamCoupe
Advanced Member
DualCamCoupe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by rossao1
All that to get the pay back for higher fuel efficiency. See you in ten years. Oh there is one thing. The increased cost of ownership is “More moving parts = more Maintenance Money”, and that is typical.

But you can feel good about driving your "efficient" car. GM knows that, but the introductorary cost is too high yet. It needs to half of that amount, or at the 3-year payoff point.
If only I could get gas at $1.50! Your point is well taken though, but I think there are a couple of things you aren't considering:

1. tax credits for hybrids
2. ability to use carpool lane without carpoolers
3. gas price is increasing
4. hybrid technology will get cheaper (economies of scale)

While a hybrid may not make sense to most people (including me) right now, it will at some point due to increasing gas prices. Even if we go hydrogen at some point, hybrid technology will still be useful. At that point, the Japanese will be ready with 6th generation hybrids while the Americans are demanding subsidies from the tax payers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DualCamCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DualCamCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2003, 07:42 AM   #18
bodie
bodie is on a distinguished road

The Vue was a late entry into the small SUV market and when Saturn finally did produce it after months of delays sales had already been lost to other brands. Now with a delay into the alternative fuel/power segment this could further damage Saturn's standings in the market.
GM is not backing SATURN/VUE as it should and the Redline and other performance attempts are for a similiar small segment of the market are a couple of years late also.
It seems to me that GM is further distancing itself from the brand by treating it more and more like a liability that doesn't "FIT" the GM family

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bodie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bodie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2003, 07:46 AM   #19
bodie
bodie is on a distinguished road

Hey I forgot something !! The only reason GM and others are investing in the bus technology and diesel replacement technology is that FEDEARL law is seriously mandating change so in order to even sell buses and big trucks they have to reduce diesel fuel emmisions even further etc. OR get out of the big truck/diesel bus game.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bodie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bodie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2003, 09:51 AM   #20
FL ION BY
FL ION BY is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default hybrid

I think the Hybrid would be my next Saturn purchase. I wish my ION was a hybrid.

Previous Saturn cars: 1993 SL2 Blue/Green, 1999 SC1 2-Door Dark Blue, 2003 ION3 Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FL ION BY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FL ION BY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread