SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
cruisinkruty
cruisinkruty is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1995 SW2
Default I did it! 95SW2 in frame overhaul!

First off let me tell you I bought this 95SW2 off of Ebay from Winner Saturn in Pa. They assured me that the car ran well and consumed no oil. Boy did they lie! Well I took the time and tore the engine down in frame. The only real pain in the behind was the power steering pump assembly. Everything else was straight forward common sense. I do have a twin post lift in my garage so I am blessed in that resepect. The replacement pistons I bought were standard bore cast speedpros with teflon coated skirts and much to my surprise,oil return holes in the oil ring grooves! Wow! I used perfect circle Moly rings. The next hardest part of the job was installing the wrist pin circlips. I did one piston a day as thats all my fingers could stand. I used a timing component set I got off of Ebay that has been recommended on this forumn. I used felpro gaskets. Metals crankshaft in Cleveland reconditioned the head for me. I used clevite rod bearings. Another lousy part of the job was the cleanup of the intake air plenum. Man was that thing ever encrusted with oily pasty residue. I soaked it in the solvent tank at work and then used there pressure washer to douche it out real good I left that mess there at work I have put over 1500 miles on the engine and changed the oil twice already and it went from 1/3 a quart every 60 miles to not burning a drop! The job took me 3 weeks in my spare time and about 850.00 in parts and headwork. I am pleased I drive the wagon everyday to work in incliment weather. Special thanks to Richpin and his wonderful how to videos.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cruisinkruty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cruisinkruty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
bobfather99
bobfather99 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
Default Re: I did it! 95SW2 in frame overhaul!

Good Job!!!!

Just think 400,000 more miles of coolness in your party wagon.....sweet

94 Blue SL1 RIP Thanks to a Drunk Uninsured Driver
95 White Bonneville w/190k

Soon Ill be back in Saturnland.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobfather99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobfather99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobfather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinkruty View Post
The replacement pistons I bought were standard bore cast speedpros with teflon coated skirts and much to my surprise,oil return holes in the oil ring grooves! Wow!
I am surprised that you are surprised that there are oil drain holes in the pistons at the oil control rings. I have yet to see an S-series piston without them. As far as I know every piston will have them, I haven't seen all the pistons in the world so I can't say for sure that they all have them. The oil that the rings are "controlling" needs to be drained somewhere.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
cruisinkruty

1995 SW2
1995 SW2

ssicarman...did you just crawl out from under a rock or something? The main reason the 1.9 saturn engines burn oil is because of a lack of oil return holes behind the oil rings. If ya never ever seen pistons with out them I got 4 old ones out of my 95 SW2 engine...by the way, I work at Fords v6 assembly plant here in Cleveland and the V6's that ford makes "the 3.0 and 3.5" do not have any either and no I am NOT a ford employee,but I work in the plant for a contractor. I am glad this forumn could educate you a bit...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cruisinkruty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:01 AM   #5
Ackpacket
Ackpacket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinkruty View Post
ssicarman...did you just crawl out from under a rock or something? The main reason the 1.9 saturn engines burn oil is because of a lack of oil return holes behind the oil rings. If ya never ever seen pistons with out them I got 4 old ones out of my 95 SW2 engine...by the way, I work at Fords v6 assembly plant here in Cleveland and the V6's that ford makes "the 3.0 and 3.5" do not have any either and no I am NOT a ford employee,but I work in the plant for a contractor. I am glad this forumn could educate you a bit...
Perhaps he means that he's never seen *new* s-series pistons that come without the holes. I mean maybe he's implying all the s-series pistons now sold have the holes.

2002 sl2 DOHC 126k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ackpacket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ackpacket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ackpacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

cruisin...
did the crankshaft not need polishing nor turning? did u hone the cylinders?

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
cruisinkruty

1995 SW2
1995 SW2

The cylinders looked so good I was amazed. No vertical score marks and all the original cross hatching intact. No upper ridge on the cylinders.Rod bearings looked next to perfect. After getting the head and block surface clean with scotchbrite cookies I douched everything out with starting fluid,a good spray job flushed everything down and out.Followed by a liberal spray down of wd-40. Then upon reassembly I installed the rod bearing in the rod and lubed it with 10w30 oil blended with a touch of stp so it clings good. Then I dipped each piston into a container of 10w30 oil up to the wristpin so everything got a thorough soaking,stuck it in the ring compressor and put them in. I assembled it just like my Ferguson F-40 tractor. I did an inframe in it and it was a piece of cake too. Think about it.If your bearings show no wear and the cylinders still have the cross hatch with no ridge at the top no honeing is neccesary. Now on the Ferguson I had to install new cylinder liners so that was a different story there. I used new O-rings on the oil pump too.I filled the oil filter with oil B4 installation like I always do. Fired her up and had darn near instant oil pressure and she runs like a top.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!