SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2018, 02:19 AM   #1
Francophile50
Francophile50 is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default My obsession over wagons

Hi I am new here. I first bought a Saturn vehicle, well actually leased a brand new 1996 and really liked it. I knew I needed to own one so when my lease came up I decided to purchase a new 1998 wagon. Both were silver can't remember the interior but at the end of my finance I realized the vehicles were a little small for me. When I went back in 2002 they had remodeled the vehicle and actually increased the space for the driver and made the suspension better which made it alot more comfortable to drive. So again I purchased a new wagon which made my third this time a Gold one with tan interior and leather arm rests only. I drove that only until recently when I parked it out on the street in the industrial area in San Francisco and later came back to find it had been hit and pushed into a wall. When I put in a claim with my insurance company and they sent it to a good repair shop it was deemed a total loss and I was forced to surrender it to the insurance company. With 250020 miles on it I was devastated. Actually only the bumpers were damaged and it was driveable and really not that bad. I had been through thick and thin with that car for 16 years. Well I looked on Craigslist and found a 2004 silver L300 wagon with 68886 original miles.I took it for a test drive and it was pretty clean and straight it had a wheel with low air so we got some air and it performed well. I bought it and took it to Wheel Works to get the tire patched and they told me the treads were separating from the tires. Needless to say I had to buy all new tires. I came back a few days later got an oil change, changed all the filters, bought a lifetime alignment and had the brake fluid flushed and got a New 6 year battery. That is when they told me the seals on the struts were leaking and it would cost $905 to fix. I am waiting on that. Now I was just offered a 2001 Cranberry LW200 for $500. It is pretty straight with new tires, new battery, new brakes, and many upgrades but super dirty with bad smokers smell. I am thinking of buying it and cleaning it up. Both of these have grey cloth interiors and would make my fourth and fifth wagons. Not sure what it is but they are so attractive and appealing and practical to me. What do you think? Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Francophile50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Francophile50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Francophile50 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2018, 05:53 AM   #2
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: My obsession over wagons

You didn't say if the 2004 was the 2.2 4 cylinder or the v6. I've had both and believe me when I say that the 4 cylinder is way more reliable and easier and most cost effective to own. The downside is that many feel the 2.2 is underpowered for the wagon. I actually like wagons as well so I get you lol. These can be pretty good cars , but like I said earlier the 3.0 v6 is more expensive to own and operate. Also there is a Facebook page for Saturn L/LW owners that is very informative.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
Francophile50

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

My 2004 Saturn is 2.2 I4. I initially bought it as a v6 but the guy I bought it from was selling it for his wife. He didn't know that they were the second owners of the car. carfax told me that. Actually he didn't know much. I knew it was low miles and straight it was cheap. I paid 3K for it and with the insurance buy out from my last car and the maintenance it wound up costing me a couple grand. I still have to deal with the struts and I will have the bumper painted and then it will be essentially a new car. It drives well. Strong acceleration, good suspension a smooth ride. I have no car note and paid no interest on financing. It cost me $210.00 to transfer title and register it. I may still buy the 2001 LW200 which is V6 and restore that too. It is Cranberry with grey interior. I am look for a good source of parts for these older wagon like moulding to replace parts falling off. Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Francophile50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

We have a 2003 v6 now with 132k on it. We sold a 2002 with the 2.2 almost 2 years ago with 280k on it. The 2002 was sold to a family friend and is still going with well over 300k. The 2.2 was way cheaper and easier to maintain and if we get another one it will be a 2.2 over the v6. Good luck with your new ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
Francophile50

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I drove the 2001 V6 yesterday. I looked at it for $1800.00 It has a lot going for it. The engine was maintained well. New cpu,new alternator,new battery, new tires and brakes. Nice aluminum rims. Power windows and seats, fog lamps, nice car. The car is trashed cosmetically. It has paint oxidation on the roof and rear bumper. The front bumper has someone else's paint on it. The panels inside of the trunk space are falling off. It has a cracked driver side taillight. The cargo cover has the handle ripped off. There is heavy dirt everywhere and heavy smoke smell too. The sun-visors have duct tape on them and the leather steering wheel is scarred heavily and dirty. The car is roached but I can clean it and what I can't clean I can replace. All the options work except the fog lamps. I offered him $800.00 and he took it. I probably over paid but he is delivering it to me since insurance is still in his name and I will have it cleaned and painted and replace the broken parts. It has 144,000 miles but I love the color and want to save the car from the junk yard. What do you think am I crazy?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francophile50 View Post
I drove the 2001 V6 yesterday. I looked at it for $1800.00 It has a lot going for it. It has 144,000 miles but I love the color and want to save the car from the junk yard. What do you think am I crazy?
^^^ No not crazy. It could be a diamond in the rough. I'd really want to know if the timing belt was ever changed. With that mileage I hope so. Replacement at 100K miles is ideal. Many change before this since the engine is destroyed if the belt breaks while operating.

Sounds like the owner did not know much about this vehicle so that answer may be hard to come by. Regardless, take a good look at the upper intake manifold runners and see if they still have the German Hose clamps on them.

Some Shops/Previous Owners give up on those German clamps and replace them with the very common worm clamps (Ugly) If this is what you find, it would appear that this engine has had some work done to it. Might not have had the timing belt replaced, but could have had a thermostat, oil cooler, water pump or other items serviced.

Keep us posted on what you find.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #7
Francophile50

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I just bought the car and I'm going to have it looked at next weekend when I have more time off. The first thing I want looked at is the air conditioning because it just blows warm air. The guy told me he had a lot of investment in it before he decided to sell it. He had a stroke and now can't drive the kids don't want to deal with it so he's selling it for nothing. I was the only person in a month that responded to the Craigslist ad so if I didn't buy it the junkman was going to get it. With new CPU new alternator new battery new tires and routine maintenance it would be a shame to let him have it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00000_74LQrPz7Q5L_1200x900.jpg (124.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 00C0C_a0LHruBY2bs_600x450.jpg (36.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 00T0T_fGW9iKJ8uDJ_600x450.jpg (45.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 00R0R_8KpRAGUlTwZ_600x450.jpg (24.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 00000_e8I90e5dpFP_600x450.jpg (18.3 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #8
Francophile50

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Now the money is starting to flow. I went online to eBay and started my Christmas shopping early. First but my driver side tail light replacement for $105. The one on there is cracked and not working. next picking up the driver side and passenger side sun visors that are lighted with mirrors I offer $24 each let's see if I can buy them for that. the ones on there the material looks all pushed in sagging and it has duct tape on it which is tantamount to being a redneck driver. I bought an almost pristine cargo cover in the right color for $80. I had some leftover eBay Bucks on my account so I picked up a ACDelco authorized leather grain black and gray steering wheel cover for free. Normally $14. Made an offer on a gray center console for $60 . Thinking of buying a brand new OEM set of charcoal Saturn embroidered mats. Also thinking about buying leather seat covers for $60 but I will wait until I get the smoke removed from the vehicle. Got to figure out where to purchase the inside cargo area plastic panels underneath the windows. Have to come across a wagon in Pick-n-Pull that has gray interior to fix that problem. I also need to pay for door cylinder locks complete assemblies and new keys and fobs because somehow the drivers didn't care about holding on to the ignition keys or door fobs. Also if anybody knows a good source for L300 rubber insulation for the driver side door jamb please let me know because it seems that on both wagons that seems to be going. well that's all for now but I will keep you appraised on any updates if you're interested. Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
soulsurvives

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As stated earlier with that mileage you need to be sure of the timing belt and water pump. I think you pais too much, but I do understand the desire for a car lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #10
Francophile50

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Pais?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #11
soulsurvives

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francophile50 View Post
Pais?
Paid LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #12
timl865
timl865 has a spectacular aura abouttiml865 has a spectacular aura abouttiml865 has a spectacular aura about

My 02 lw200 4cyl has 191k miles and runs like new. It was dealer maintained its whole life and has been troublefree. I absolutely love this wagon!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to timl865's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help timl865 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
timl865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
Francophile50

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Tim I got 250, 020 before mine was totaled and taken away from me. I have two new ones one with a hundred and forty four thousand miles on it, and the other with 69000 miles on it. I just got the paint part which was going on both of them fixed. Now I'm in the process of making them mechanically sound and cosmetically appealing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!