SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Ackpacket
Ackpacket is on a distinguished road

Default broken rear windshield

Hey all. Returned to school after thanksgiving break to find my rear windshield broken. It's being held together by the tint and I was content to leave it at that and focus on school. It's started to crack a bit more and the weather has been taking a turn for the worse, and I need to get it fixed for the long drive home. I can't afford the 500 to have someone replace it around here, so I checked and the local junker has a few saturns of compatible years. Price for the window is 40 bucks. Does anyone have a disassembly guide handy for that? Also, can the rear window be reused? I planned on using a sawzall and cutting everything holding the window in at the yard, so I spend as little time there as possible. As far as tools go, I have a minimal socket set up here and plenty of spare hands to help with holding/positioning. Comments appreciated

2002 sl2 DOHC 126k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ackpacket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ackpacket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ackpacket is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: broken rear windshield

Usually window replacement is best left to the pro's IMHO. If you really want to give it a shot.. HF sells a set of window/molding tools that look pretty crappy but "might" do the job? IDK.., never tried.

$500 sounds pretty high.. I know the early front windshields are absurdly expensive (for some reason) but, have you actually gotten a quote? If you decide to give it a shot I can send you the RNR from from the manual but it really doesn't look like a lot of "fun" at all!

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

Last edited by off-track; 12-11-2010 at 09:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Got a rear window @ cost....~$430 for a '97 SL2. That didn't include the labor because somehow the guy I talked on the phone to turned "rear window replace" into "front windshield replace"

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Got a rear window @ cost....~$430 for a '97 SL2.
$430!?! Why is the glass for the Sat's so expensive?? A "rare" side stationary window for my son's SF was only $250..

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-track View Post
$430!?! Why is the glass for the Sat's so expensive?? A "rare" side stationary window for my son's SF was only $250..
Front windshield for a '97 SC1 was cheap...$180 installed.
Rear window on '97 SL2 was supposed to be closer to $600 but the quote guy flubbed it so they gave it to me supposedly as the cost of the glass alone.
Rear 1/4 window for a '96 SC2 was supposed to be ~$225, but had it swapped from a '95 SC1 for $99 in my yard.
What super sucked with the '97 SL2 is I rolled it less then a month after putting the rear window in...

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
casterman
casterman is on a distinguished road

I just had one replaced on a 99 SC2 and they are tougher to do than an SL because of the trim . I bought the glass at a local salvage for $50 and they pulled it. I have a local small glass shop that cut out my shattered one and installed the used one for $60 labor. If you can't find a salvage that will pull the glass talk to a small local glass guy about going out to the salvage and pulling it for you. On the SL you have to remove the rear roof sail panels with a male 15 Torx socket, unplug the defroster wires and use a box knife to cut the silicone adhesive on the broken car. It you try to use the Harbor Freight windshield cut out knife you are guaranteed to break the new rear window. Use piano wire cut out kit from HF and have a friend hold one end and you hold the other and work your way around the donor glass slowly. You can buy the silicone adhesive at O'reilly Auto parts for about $10 a tube, buy 2 tubes - you can take any unused ones back for a refund but it you run out with 6" to go it's a big problem (that is experience talking) -- put some masking tape to hold it in place for a couple of hours -- must be in a warm place

Crazy John
Tulsa Oklahoma
Bringing the Dead back to Life

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to casterman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help casterman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
casterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Ackpacket
Ackpacket is on a distinguished road

Don't suppose anyone wants to go out to the junk yard and help me pull the old windshield? I'd gladly just cut the damn thing out and worry about the rest of it later. I don't have any tools up here though, my home is in southern california and i'm going to school in the bay area. I can offer $60 to pull and install. Sorry if that's insulting, I understand it can be to people that do this for a living. I used to earn money on the side through craigslist and I'd get lowballers all the time. Comments appreciated.

2002 sl2 DOHC 126k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ackpacket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ackpacket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ackpacket is offline   Reply With Quote