SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 12:33 AM   #41
the_new_raceman
the_new_raceman is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: Just changed Cam Cover gasket

Ive been having an issue for a while now with oil in those 2 plugs. Ive also had a problem when im coming to a stop and i push the (new) clutch in it fluctuates in revs. Like ill stop and my normal is around 850rpm but itll drop from there to like 200rpm then up and down a couple times before it either levels out at 850 or it stalls. Could a deteriorating gasket be causing this? Oh and by the way the plug beside the timing chain was like black soup in a plug tube!! lol i think its time for that gasket eh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_new_raceman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_new_raceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2005, 03:01 AM   #42
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Just changed Cam Cover gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_new_raceman
Ive also had a problem when im coming to a stop and i push the (new) clutch in it fluctuates in revs. Like ill stop and my normal is around 850rpm but itll drop from there to like 200rpm then up and down a couple times before it either levels out at 850 or it stalls. Could a deteriorating gasket be causing this?
That sounds like a problem with the EGR valve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #43
jimpennjr
jimpennjr will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 3.6L
Question Re: S-Series Camcover Gasket Replacement

For a 96 SL1 SOHC I will need a T-40? And how many ft.-lbs or is it in-lbs.? Please help I am losing too much oil. A quart every 750 miles. Thanks in advance.

jimpennjr
'96 SL1 5-speed--Traded in for an '09 HHR
2008 Vue XR V6 Trade in the '04 Vue for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimpennjr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimpennjr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #44
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: S-Series Camcover Gasket Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpennjr
For a 96 SL1 SOHC I will need a T-40? And how many ft.-lbs or is it in-lbs.? Please help I am losing too much oil. A quart every 750 miles. Thanks in advance.
S-Series Torque Specifications, 1996 Cam Cover Bolt: 89 In-Lbs (10 Nm)

Divide by 12 inches/foot to convert from in-lbs to ft-lbs (89 in-lbs / 12 in/ft = 7.4 ft-lbs).

Note: Most ft-lb torque wrenches are NOT accurate at this low a setting. Hence the advice to use an in-lb torque wrench for greater accuracy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #45
Thor4SL2
Thor4SL2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpennjr
The leaking valve cover gasket will account for some of your oil loss, perhaps a few ounces, but I seriously doughty it could account for that much. (1 quart per 750 miles). Before doing the valve cover try to find what else is using oil, otherwise you may just be wasting your time. You may even end up doing the whole job over again after replacing the valve guides, etc.

It's not what you know that counts,
it's what you think of in time!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thor4SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thor4SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #46
trebuchet03
trebuchet03 is on a distinguished road

I am another lucky winner of oil in the spark plug wells. I am re-doing the gasket for my parents 93 SW2. I can't seem to figure out how to disconnect the EGR solonoid from its wires. Can I remove the bolt connecting the EGR to the valve cover leaving the vacume lines and wires connected to the EGR?

Sorry if thats too much of a noob question, I drive and maintain my 626, unfourtunatly, my parents drive this poor saturn into the ground...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trebuchet03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trebuchet03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2005, 11:34 PM   #47
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

you can i beleave. just make sure its out of way when you put the cover back on or it will be a RTV mess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2005, 10:39 AM   #48
spyder05
spyder05 is on a distinguished road

After installing the Saturn pre-fab gasket on the composite cover, do I have to have the engine idle for a certain period of time for the gasket to "heat cure"? I replaced the gasket on my 97 SC2 the other day and found a nice leak on the divers side.. arg.. looks like I will be doing the job again.

Thanks..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spyder05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spyder05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:22 PM   #49
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

try checking the torque again. to tight or to loose can cause leaks, and after a few heat cycles gaskets can "set" for lack of a better term and need retorqued.

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #50
TXTABBY
TXTABBY is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

I saw in my Haynes manual to torque the bolts to 89 in. lbs. which works out to just over 7 ft. lbs. 8 sounds about right. Also...u say

"BOTH Engines, take the cover inside and WASH IT with dish soap and water until COMPLETELY oil and dirt free, use a scotch brite pad or putty knife to remove ALL TRACES of old RTV from the cover. Set aside to dry."

Better to get a large plastic container with a lid to wash the valve cover, then take it to a garage where they can dispose of the waste 'soapy-oil' properly. That of have a friend take you to your local mechanic and have him clean it out for you...Don't just wash it out in your bathtub, letting the oil drain in the sewer system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXTABBY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXTABBY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:01 PM   #51
TXTABBY
TXTABBY is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Re: "S" Series camcover gasket replacement

"I just did this procedure on my car over the weekend, and the Haynes manual says to snug the bolts down to 22 ft lbs. Is Haynes in error with this?"

Well, I hope it was a SOHC! That one IS 22 ft.lbs. The DOHC is 89 in.lbs...about 8 ft.lbs. So the Haynes manual is right, just hope you're working on the right valve cover

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXTABBY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXTABBY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:07 AM   #52
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Changed the gasket recently on my car with an aluminum cover, and have just 2 cents to add. I saved money by not using a gasket, just RTV. Reading other posts here where the preformed rubber gaskets leak later, I did not want to risk it, and an RTV-only seal pretty much means no leaking.

However, after removing the cover with the factory gasket and seeing how easy it was to remove and how there was no RTV to clean off the head surface, I had second thoughts. If I ever have to do this again, I'm guessing it's going to be a lot harder, both removing the cover and cleaning. Using a razor to cut through the RTV will work, but not sure how easy it will be to get a razor around some spots. Then, I'll have to clean RTV from the head surface. Around the back and timing chain side, there's not a lot of space for scrubbing.

Also, to remove old RTV, I used gasket remover which warns "do not get on painted or non-metal surfaces." Even though I was very careful when spraying this on the cover flange, some did drip down and ate the silver cover paint. With more patience, using brake clean and more scrubbing should be fine.

No leaks, so I'm good for now. If I ever have to take the cover off again, it'll probably be for more major work, so I'll let the mechanics deal with the now glued-down cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:51 AM   #53
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

You're absolutely right...the next poor ******* that has to do the job you just did incorrectly over will have a hell of a time. Should have just spent the money for the right gasket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:23 PM   #54
Revwillie
Revwillie is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnTech
You're absolutely right...the next poor ******* that has to do the job you just did incorrectly over will have a hell of a time. Should have just spent the money for the right gasket.
He's talking about the aluminum cover that has no gasket, right? Mine didn't.

93 SC2 140,000mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Revwillie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Revwillie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:55 PM   #55
SaturnTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revwillie
He's talking about the aluminum cover that has no gasket, right? Mine didn't.
YES IT DOES ALL SATURN CAM COVERS HAVE GASKETS. The aluminum cam cover has a preformed gasket that you buy and install, just like it came from the factory. OR, you can be a hack and RTV the hell out of it until it leaks again and have a huge mess on your hands. Your cam cover most certainly DID have a gasket on it from the factory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2005, 05:06 AM   #56
Fricken eh!
Fricken eh! is on a distinguished road

one tip I found that helps you not overtighten the cam cover bolts is the following. put a few drops of oil in the bolt shank prior to inserting it into the rubber washer/gasket. this makes it a lot easier for the bolt to turn inside of that. without the oil, there is a lot of friction, and you can't "feel" how tight the bolt is getting. the required TQ value is so low on those bolts that the friction between the bolt and the rubber piece makes getting an accurate TQ reading very hard. my $0.02...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fricken eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fricken eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2005, 07:50 AM   #57
The_Lizard
The_Lizard is on a distinguished road

Hi folks, new member, took a first look under the black DOHC cover on my step-daughter's Saturn yesterday. (Darn fast and easy, my ride is a 98 Outback and you don't want to have to dive for heads on that boxer.)
She had oil flooding the #1 plug hole. I've just read all of this thread.

I removed the cover easily, but I could not easily get the old gasket off. I quit trying rather than rip anything up, so I just closed it back up again.
I think I'll pop it again, clean everything, and put in a thin bead of the black stuff.

Is there a trick to removing the old gasket? I couldn't even get a knife tip between it and the cover.

In other news, I'm also going to try to swap out the temp sensor, which is the other issue I've been reading about here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The_Lizard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The_Lizard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2005, 07:55 AM   #58
SaturnTech

The cam cover gasket on the later model S Series with the black cover DOES NOT USE RTV. There is a rubber gasket and O-rings for the spark plug wells. It sits in a groove on the cover, DON'T be a hack and just RTV it. Grab the gasket with some pliers and pull it out, it will be hard and brittle. Spray it down with some brakleen, insert the new gasket and torque the bolts back down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2005, 08:26 AM   #59
The_Lizard
The_Lizard is on a distinguished road

Just as a follow-up, I haven't done the gasket yet. I replaced the temp sensor and the car is running well again, so now it's "wait and see" if simply opening, cleaning, and re-torquing will solve the #1 plug well flooding. I may get a chance to check it today (it's about 30 miles away). Meanwhile I told my step-daughter to keep an eye out for leaks.

I have no idea how long it was flooding like that, she just started using the car about 6 weeks ago and they said it was idle for about 2 years before that. So, ??? I'll keep you posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The_Lizard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The_Lizard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread