SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
mark4Jesus
mark4Jesus is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Key FOB doesn't work on TPMS relearn.

I did some searching but did not find an answer. When pushing lock and unlock buttons at the same time, the car does not go into relearn. I watched a video and I noticed that the Aura in the video did not have remote start, but my daughter's does. Any ideas/experiences?

Thanks

Current Saturns:
2008 Aura, purchased Aug. 30, 2014
2001 L200 Green, used. Have had for 9 years.

Saturns Owned:
2003 Vue, new.
2001 L200 Maroon, new.
93 SL1, new
93 SL2, used

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mark4Jesus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mark4Jesus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mark4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Key FOB doesn't work on TPMS relearn.

As I understand it, keyless remote operation is separate from the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). Are you having problems with one, the other or both?

If its a remote that isn't working, did you review the owner's manual for instructions? Battery replacement? According to the service manual; After changing the battery, turn the ignition to ON/RUN. This will synchronize the key.

Is remote start a factory option or an aftermarket add-on? Remote start has no effect on synching remotes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

keyless remote gets you into tire pressure system for relearn. i think what he is saying when he tries to get in to relearn mode it wont go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
mark4Jesus

2008 AURA XE
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
keyless remote gets you into tire pressure system for relearn. i think what he is saying when he tries to get in to relearn mode it wont go.
That is correct. The manual and video say that you are to push the lock and unlock buttons on the FOB at the same time and it will enter into relearn mode.

When I do that, nothing happened. When my daughter got home today, one of the tires did not read and pressure, just displayed "--". Which I suppose means that sensor is bad, or could it just need to be relearned?

The relearn procedure did not work when everything was displaying properly.

Current Saturns:

Saturns Owned:
2003 Vue, new.
2001 L200 Maroon, new.
93 SL1, new
93 SL2, used

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mark4Jesus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Oh, I see now. I searched a little more for the TPMS functions and stand corrected but.........were directions followed?

From the service manual;

Alternate Keyless Entry Transmitter or DIC Learn Enable Method

Ignition ON, initiate the TPM Learn Mode using one of the following procedures:
  1. On vehicles equipped with keyless entry, simultaneously press the keyless entry transmitters lock and unlock buttons until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.
  2. On vehicles not equipped with keyless entry, press and release the driver information center (DIC) INFO button until the TIRE LEARN message appears on the DIC display. Press and hold the SET/RESET button until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.

I haven't searched for when each battery powered sensor wears out..........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:35 AM   #6
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
one of the tires did not read and pressure, just displayed "--". Which I suppose means that sensor is bad, or could it just need to be relearned?
that tire's sensor is very likely broken. the tire has to be unmounted to replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

if sensor not working light will flash on startup then stay lit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

TPMS - another owner issue on top of failure of some owners neglecting periodic tire pressure checks. Sensors are warranted to last at least thru a new car warranty and then its the owners problem. 5-12 years or approximately 100k miles.

Perhaps its time for some to return to the old ways while adopting simple troubleshooting; one way for anyone with tpms and possible problems with battery depletion - use a tire pressure gauge. A tire that's up to specified pressure (not low), not displaying correctly or fails to display, is an original sensor beyond new car warranty with tires replaced at least once, is probably about a worn out sensor battery.

http://www.tirereview.com/changing-t...sor-batteries/

http://www.tpmsdirect.com/OE_TPMS_Li...ancy_a/283.htm

http://www.standardbrand.com/TPMS-Ca...e/Content.aspx

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...s-sensor-units

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
if sensor not working light will flash on startup then stay lit.
i know there is a delay designed in to prevent false positive warnings. the tpms computer will wait a period (though I can't remember how long) to see if the sensor reports in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

required by law to report in less than 20 minutes. i dont think you have a bad sensor. just think you cant get into relearn mode and why i dont know. does your horn work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
TPMS - another owner issue on top of failure of some owners neglecting periodic tire pressure checks. Sensors are warranted to last at least thru a new car warranty and then its the owners problem. 5-12 years or approximately 100k miles.

Perhaps its time for some to return to the old ways while adopting simple troubleshooting; one way for anyone with tpms and possible problems with battery depletion - use a tire pressure gauge. A tire that's up to specified pressure (not low), not displaying correctly or fails to display, is an original sensor beyond new car warranty with tires replaced at least once, is probably about a worn out sensor battery........
To put this into another perspective relative to car ownership and possibly dwelling too much on minutiae while losing sight of the reason for tire pressure monitoring with or without the bells and whistles......... Here's another view on losing perspective:

There's a wonderful discovery channel about aircraft accidents and crashes that are well documented long after the NTSB determined what caused a specific airplane to land somewhere other than at designated airports. One case determined that pilots were in error that caused the deaths of everyone on one flight that was on its final approach to a landing - no one was flying the airplane during a prolonged distraction. Three pilots, a senior pilot, second pilot and third, flight engineer were too busy looking, troubleshooting and attempting to diagnose why one of the landing gear lights didn't turn on to indicate each wheel was down and locked prior to landing. The auto pilot was inadvertently 'nudged' off by the senior pilot that was supposed to be the flying pilot while the second pilot was supposed to monitor the instrument panel gauges while the third officer would be left to troubleshoot and determine if the light bulb burned out or a wheel didn't extend and lock. All three were troubleshooting the indicator as the plane slowly dropped out of the air and into the Florida everglades, killing all aboard. This occurred all before the phrase cockpit resource management became a valuable tool to assignment of tasks with all crew members having an equal voice in flight management instead of the old hierarchy of the "senior" pilot knowing everything. A simple distraction with no one actually flying caused an untimely death to those on that airplane. The bulb was found to be intact and working and the landing gear operated as designed. Distractions killed the crew of experienced pilots and passengers.

TPMS is a great tool when used but it has it weaknesses - dwelling on whether or not a sensor or procedures are faulty and ignoring the reason for tire pressure monitoring. Simply checking for pressures with a tire gauge can separate tpms issues from a tire that's low on air..............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
mark4Jesus

2008 AURA XE
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Pressure sensor was bad. Dealer replaced at no cost. I am the kind of guy that likes everything on my car to work. I have never had a vehicle that told me when a tire was low, so I have always looked at the tires or could tell by handling if one was low. However, this is my daughter's car and she is not very good about checking tires/oil, ect., so I would like it to work.

Current Saturns:

Saturns Owned:
2003 Vue, new.
2001 L200 Maroon, new.
93 SL1, new
93 SL2, used

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I think tpms may be a little too patronizing and allows a false sense of tire monitoring just as you found out with a faulty one. It's never too late to inform anyone about the added complexities of tire pressure monitoring compared to an occasional visual tire check coupled with a pressure gauge to remain aware of basic car maintenance. A failed pressure sensor still requires a pressure check and troubleshooting if the tpms system failed, a sensor failed or the battery wore out. As long as tpms isn't taken for granted and practicing the tried and true method of using a tire pressure gauge, tpms can be counted on. Like anything added to our cars, more sophistication can mean more distraction from 'old school' methods.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #14
mark4Jesus

2008 AURA XE
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

fdryer, very true. The tech at the dealer told me that the average battery life in one of the sensors is about 3 years, not very long for something so expensive.

Current Saturns:

Saturns Owned:
2003 Vue, new.
2001 L200 Maroon, new.
93 SL1, new
93 SL2, used

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #15
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Pressure sensor was bad. Dealer replaced at no cost.
the sensors go bad but not all that often. my experience is u can cut the battery out of a non-reporting sensor & it'll still be issuing spec voltage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #16
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
The tech at the dealer told me that the average battery life in one of the sensors is about 3 years, not very long for something so expensive.
well, that's not been my experience. an oem sensor retails for about $30.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #17
mark4Jesus

2008 AURA XE
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Greenman, The sensor itself is not that much; however, by time you pay for it and the labor to replace it and balance the wheel, that's pricey. Wouldn't be so bad if it is part that can be easily replaced. The dealer is a GM dealer so they work on everything, maybe why the tech made that statement.

Current Saturns:

Saturns Owned:
2003 Vue, new.
2001 L200 Maroon, new.
93 SL1, new
93 SL2, used

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #18
machinn
machinn has a spectacular aura aboutmachinn has a spectacular aura aboutmachinn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I did some searching but did not find an answer. When pushing lock and unlock buttons at the same time, the car does not go into relearn. I watched a video and I noticed that the Aura in the video did not have remote start, but my daughter's does. Any ideas/experiences?

Thanks
Kind of reviving an old thread, but I am having the same problem with my 2008 Saturn Astra. I replaced and rotate two tires; the TPMS light has been on since. Whatever I do, I canít get the Astra in TPMS relearn mode. Can you share your experience on how you manage to get to tpms relearn mode? Is there a different way than pressing simultaneously the LOCK/UNLOCK method?
Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to machinn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help machinn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
machinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #19
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

Here is the procedure for the TPMS relearn on the Astra...If the lock and unlock buttons on the keyfob work independently and it doesn't try to go in to learn mode when both are presses, then the Keyless entry module may be faulty.
http://www.thetpmsforum.com/showthre...eset-Procedure

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #20
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinn View Post
Kind of reviving an old thread, but I am having the same problem with my 2008 Saturn Astra. I replaced and rotate two tires; the TPMS light has been on since. Whatever I do, I canít get the Astra in TPMS relearn mode. Can you share your experience on how you manage to get to tpms relearn mode? Is there a different way than pressing simultaneously the LOCK/UNLOCK method?
Thanks!
Sorry, I just reread your post. If your car is in fact an Astra, this is the wrong forum.
I had a look in the Astra forum and from what I read there is no relearn procedure. As long as the sensors are functional the car will self learn the sensors while driving above 15mph for a couple miles.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...70&postcount=3

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote