SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
swansong
swansong is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
Default Am I the only one who prefers Sx1 seats?

You know, I've been hearing a lot around here how the Sx2's have 'upgraded' or 'better' seats.

I have a SL1, my fiancee has an SC2, and we both prefer my seats over hers. The SC2 driver seat is just way too hard, and I can never get the lumbar support to a comfortable position. After a three hour drive it starts to actually hurt. The passenger seat is slightly better, but I'd still take my SL1's seats. They're softer, and seem to fit the body better. I only wish they could sit a bit more upright. (I drive with the seat angle fully upward usually)

So am I alone on this one?

Mine - 2002 Ford Focus SVT, 127k, Sonic Blue
Was mine - 2002 SL1, Auto, Cranberry, bought at a neglected 110k, sold at 125k
Wife's - 2000 SC2, Auto, 116k, Red, bought at a pampered 57k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swansong's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swansong reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Am I the only one who prefers Sx1 seats?

I've thought even the Sx2 seats soft & annoying...

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

I never sat in an Sx1 seat. When I was working on our house, I hurt my back lifting a hunk of plywood into the attic. I have my driver's seat lumbar support all the way out. I would sit in it and make the half hour drive back to our rental home. By the time I got home, my back would feel much better. I'd like to add the lumbar support to the passenger seat someday.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Landric
Landric is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

I really liked the lumbar support, all the way out, on my former '99 SL2, but other than that, I didn't much care for the seat. I just bought a '99 SL, so we will see how I feel about the base model seat over time, but it felt pretty comfortable on my 1/2 hour test drive. At the same time, I bought the car to drive to work, a 10 mile round trip, so its unlikely I will ever drive the car far enough to worry about the seat comfort. I have newer vehicles for extended trips, the SL will just get a short, daily workout and hopefully save me some money on gas in the process.

-Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Current '99 SL 5 M/T

Bought New-Foolishly Traded '99 SL2 5 M/T, VIN 1G8ZJ5278XZ268547, do you own my old Saturn?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Landric's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Landric reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Landric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I'd like to add the lumbar support to the passenger seat someday.
Very doable, I did that on both my 99 SC2 and my wife's 99 SC1. Just need the frame from the seatback of a driver's seat, and swap the seatback frame. If you happen to find one with matching fabric, then it's that much easier. If you do have to swap the fabric, I've always used zipties to replace the removed hog rings, and have never had any issues with them.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
wb 86
wb 86 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

While I prefer the seats in my 99 SL over my former car, a 97 SL2, I miss the lumbar adjustment/ support. To add lumbar support in my SL, I use a back pad that adjusts by air pressure, similar to a Thermarest camping mattress, from my rec. kayak. Overall the SL seats are more comfy to me, but on the 10hr drive to my folks house on I-81, I do enjoy the option of the pad. Since I am usually travelling north to paddle with the old man I have the pad in the car anyway.

As an outdoor-sy person I also appreciate the easier (to me) to clean material on the base model seats over the higher end seats.

-Craig

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wb 86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wb 86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wb 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
guy_450
guy_450 will become famous soon enough

2001 SW2

As far I remember, I had no comfort or lumbar support problem behind the wheel of my 95 SW1 but I was younger at that time. Today, imho, my Sx2s 3rd gen seats are more confortable than my son's SL1 (also a 3rd gen).

2001 SW2 4AT silver (garaged, 2000 SW2 5MT sold)
2013 VOLT, now it is son's DD, it has replaced my former 2002 SL2
2019 VOLT electric instant torque & regen braking + range extender

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guy_450's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guy_450 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guy_450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
You know, I've been hearing a lot around here how the Sx2's have 'upgraded' or 'better' seats.

I have a SL1, my fiancee has an SC2, and we both prefer my seats over hers. The SC2 driver seat is just way too hard, and I can never get the lumbar support to a comfortable position. After a three hour drive it starts to actually hurt. The passenger seat is slightly better, but I'd still take my SL1's seats. They're softer, and seem to fit the body better. I only wish they could sit a bit more upright. (I drive with the seat angle fully upward usually)

So am I alone on this one?
yes. you are alone. I can't stand the seats in the single cam cars

The best Saturn seats are all time were in the 91-92 SC and SL2. they were Recaro clones. then Saturn started cheapening them over the years.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
AlainMDavos
AlainMDavos will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I put second generation SL1 seats in my 95 SL1 years ago after I bought the car. The seats were in terrible shape from the previous owner for 98 000 miles. The seats I replaced are more stable and are still stiff unlike the common seat compression the first generation seats. Although I miss the adjustable headrests, I still like the basic seats.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlainMDavos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlainMDavos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlainMDavos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #10
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

eRic 02sc2 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post

The best Saturn seats are all time were in the 91-92 SC and SL2. they were Recaro clones. then Saturn started cheapening them over the years.
I was looking at one on the net (e-bay?) recently. It looked good enough to install in my 1999 SW2, but I read that 1st gen seat mount points don't match 2nd gen seat mount points (boo!).

My wife can't stand my SW2 passenger seat. I was thinking of buying a driver seat and installing it in the passenger side, but I guess it's not a symmetrical fit either (double boo!).

CarloSW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfg83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfg83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
Landric
Landric is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

The seats in my ex's 1993 SW2 were a lot better than the seats in my former '99 SL2. For long distance driving I think I would prefer the SL2 seats from either the 1st or 2nd generation cars (never been in a 3rd gen car, so can't comment on its seats), but for my limited driving the SL seats are not an issue.

-Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Current '99 SL 5 M/T

Bought New-Foolishly Traded '99 SL2 5 M/T, VIN 1G8ZJ5278XZ268547, do you own my old Saturn?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Landric's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Landric reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Landric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post

NO he is not alone lol his wife also prefers them he even answered his own question in one of his first sentences without realizing it

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
I was thinking of buying a driver seat and installing it in the passenger side,
Carlos, did you see this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
Very doable, I did that on both my 99 SC2 and my wife's 99 SC1. Just need the frame from the seatback of a driver's seat, and swap the seatback frame.
The lumbar adjuster will be on the inside, but swapping just the seatbacks is doable.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
I was thinking of buying a driver seat and installing it in the passenger side, but I guess it's not a symmetrical fit either (double
Plus the seat height adjuster and seatback tilt would be on the wrong side, thus swapping the driver's seatback onto the passenger seat base.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
swansong
swansong is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled Saturn View Post
NO he is not alone lol his wife also prefers them he even answered his own question in one of his first sentences without realizing it
Jeez it seems one must have very strict grammatical and logical integrity when posting on this forum!

Mine - 2002 Ford Focus SVT, 127k, Sonic Blue
Was mine - 2002 SL1, Auto, Cranberry, bought at a neglected 110k, sold at 125k
Wife's - 2000 SC2, Auto, 116k, Red, bought at a pampered 57k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swansong's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swansong reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #16
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I loved my 2nd gen SL1's seats. That car was so comfortable. Then again my SL2 was good too. I did not like the 3rd gen seats though. Too flat and crappy.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
I was looking at one on the net (e-bay?) recently. It looked good enough to install in my 1999 SW2, but I read that 1st gen seat mount points don't match 2nd gen seat mount points (boo!).
It's the buckle bolted to the seat that changes, everything else is the same.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote