SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
Luthin
Luthin is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Where to buy true stainless steel exhaust system?

Does anyone know where I can buy a true cat-back stainless steel exhaust system? I live in a state that thinks salt will cure everything during the winter and I'm really tired of replacing exhaust pipes (despise exhaust work). I want a true stainless steel exhaust system starting after the cat and including the muffler. I'm hoping to find one that will match up directly to the car and isn't a "universal" design that requires heavy modification to work. For what it's worth, I'm doing this so I don't have to worry about my exhaust again, not for looks. So the focus here is durability and functionality, not flashy/shiny tips or loud "fart cans". I don't want anything that will attract any unnecessary attention from the po-po.

Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luthin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luthin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luthin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
SaturnFix
SaturnFix will become famous soon enoughSaturnFix will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1996 SC2
Default Re: Where to buy true stainless steel exhaust system?

You must be referring to the muffler. I am also located in Wisconsin, and I've seen many Saturns in the air, none of them had exhaust pipe failure.

Many of them had muffler and/or hanger failure however.
Sometimes flexpipe too.

What is your Saturn's oil economy?
Canada Saturn owners REVOLT!!! Improper factory spark plugs! c.c
If you are in the Southern Wisconsin area, check out: facebook.com/SaturnFix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnFix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnFix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The high grade stainless exhaust, CAT back is Thermal Research and Development. It is not cheap but it is 304 SS. http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/B801-C801 And that one fits your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Luthin

1998 SL2

Saturn Fix -- no I mean the whole exhaust system, including the pipe. I've been through 2 pipes now since '06 (if I fixed my car again now this would be the 3rd I've had to install) and I am sick of putting on new exhaust. You are correct though -- the muffler doesn't fare much better. Probably the cheap crap they're making the pipe and muffler out of I presume?

And for what it's worth, I drive 15 miles one way to work each day, so it's not short trips either...

Old Nuc -- This looks like a very nice system. Thanks for the link! Have you or has anyone else you know used this system? Is it good? The site says the systems "...have a deep, throaty sound". Have you or anyone else used this system? Does "deep throaty sound" = "fart can" sound?? Just nervous that I'll stick out like a sore thumb with a bright flashy muffler tip out the back and a loud car...at least now they leave me alone 'cause the car sounds like a piece of junk!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Luthin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
harley2003
harley2003 has a spectacular aura aboutharley2003 has a spectacular aura aboutharley2003 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The high grade stainless exhaust, CAT back is Thermal Research and Development. It is not cheap but it is 304 SS. http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/B801-C801 And that one fits your car.
I check this out and am not sure what model and years fit in some places they say all models interchange and others tell a different thing can you clear this for me please.

2013 Hyundai Sonata new
2003 Harley Davidson FXDWG wide glide.
2015 Hyundai accent hachback

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to harley2003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help harley2003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
harley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Luthin

1998 SL2

Good question Harley. Anyone know what the difference is between part #B801-C801 and #B801-C802?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthin View Post
Old Nuc -- This looks like a very nice system. Thanks for the link! Have you or has anyone else you know used this system? Is it good? The site says the systems "...have a deep, throaty sound". Have you or anyone else used this system? Does "deep throaty sound" = "fart can" sound?? Just nervous that I'll stick out like a sore thumb with a bright flashy muffler tip out the back and a loud car...at least now they leave me alone 'cause the car sounds like a piece of junk!
No ring-ding-ding Japanese car sound. I have one and it is a bit louder than stock. Being as how it is a deeper tone if you live in a car sound sensitive area you may have troubles. I believe eRic 02sc2 has some videos and I ran some actual sound tests and at idle and low RPM it is very close to the stock system but at higher RPM and engine loads it will get louder.

I removed the entire exhaust system and replaced it with an OBX header, Walker direct fit CAT, and TR&D CAT back system. The muffler tip does not look ostentatious.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley2003 View Post
I check this out and am not sure what model and years fit in some places they say all models interchange and others tell a different thing can you clear this for me please.
The exhaust is one size fits all from 96 and newer. I believe in previous discussions it fits the earlier cars of some models also. The only part that is different is the head pipe. There is a slip joint in the actual pipe for minor adjustments to get a proper fit. There are many posts in the mods section regarding this system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
Luthin

1998 SL2

Thanks a million for your input on this Old Nuc. A video/audio file of the car at low/idle rpm would be great! Is there a link where I can go to get this file like the richpin videos, or should I PM eric for it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Eric posted it somewhere, probably on YouTube but I do not know under which name. Shoot him a PM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
Luthin

1998 SL2

I have a PM in to Eric to get his video file. In the meantime, I found these on You Tube...is this what it sounds like??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3AxC6MJ_JU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfV0m...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=day5p5IzW6k

Or is it more like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tEYBjkOlmM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
SaturnFix
SaturnFix will become famous soon enoughSaturnFix will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Saturn Fix -- no I mean the whole exhaust system, including the pipe. I've been through 2 pipes now since '06 (if I fixed my car again now this would be the 3rd I've had to install) and I am sick of putting on new exhaust. You are correct though -- the muffler doesn't fare much better. Probably the cheap crap they're making the pipe and muffler out of I presume?
Perhaps you are looking for an upgrade. But you do realize the OEM is stainless? Any Saturn in Wisconsin from the 90's is likely to have been through a muffler (they especially hold water and are thinner).

But they are great exhaust components, not the best, but are you using aftermarket aluminized exhaust?

You know what I like to do - take the cordless sawzall to the junkyards out west and stock up on OEM mufflers. They are guaranteed 5 years minimum in Wisconsin, and I do a lot of winter driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnFix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
Luthin

1998 SL2

Was the original pipe stainless on a 98? It sure didn't look stainless when I removed it because the resonator rusted off! I'm assuming the pipe I removed first was original because the muffler was OEM, aside from that I suppose it could've been replaced prior to me owning the car?

You are correct that the replacement pipes I've been using were both aluminized -- one from NAPA the other from Advance Auto. Is that my problem? How much does an OEM (stainless) pipe cost? Is that stainless a different grade/quality than the stainless used in the Thermal Research exhaust system?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnFix View Post
Perhaps you are looking for an upgrade. But you do realize the OEM is stainless? Any Saturn in Wisconsin from the 90's is likely to have been through a muffler (they especially hold water and are thinner).

They are guaranteed 5 years minimum in Wisconsin, and I do a lot of winter driving.
That must be some nasty salt up there. When I think of stainless steel I think much longer than 5 years. If it is stainless, shouldn't it NOT be effected by rust? I'm curious to get under my car to see how things look, but since we rarely have to use salt down here, I guess it isn't a problem so much...

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
SaturnFix

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Was the original pipe stainless on a 98? It sure didn't look stainless when I removed it because the resonator rusted off! I'm assuming the pipe I removed first was original because the muffler was OEM, aside from that I suppose it could've been replaced prior to me owning the car?

You are correct that the replacement pipes I've been using were both aluminized -- one from NAPA the other from Advance Auto. Is that my problem? How much does an OEM (stainless) pipe cost? Is that stainless a different grade/quality than the stainless used in the Thermal Research exhaust system?
Yes the Saturn came with stainless, you can think of stainless as falling into two different categories - brown and shiny. The Saturn came with brown stainless (it turns brown pretty much immediately, but it is still just as corrosive resistant, it just doesn't have the look of the nice shiny stuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02
That must be some nasty salt up there. When I think of stainless steel I think much longer than 5 years. If it is stainless, shouldn't it NOT be effected by rust? I'm curious to get under my car to see how things look, but since we rarely have to use salt down here, I guess it isn't a problem so much...
The stainless is great, but it is a surface finish (see what happens when you scratch it). Really, it is just the Saturn mufflers, and if you look at them, are from the inside out for the most part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The OEM exhaust system is a 400 series stainless steel and is not as corrosion resistant as the 300 series. The pipe from the CAT back is subjected to the corrosive byproducts from the CAT and the external environmental effects. The pipe is a welded assembly and the welds will rot out first from corrosion. Th emuffler is a large corrosive crud trap and wil rot off first.

Aluminumized steel will last 5 to 6 years in moderately harsh environments but any welds will fail in a shorter time frame.

The original OEM part number is superseded in the catalog but the cat back pipe is 120.00 list. I wonder if it is still 400 series SS.

If you want it to last then yo buy 300 series stainless steel. You do not have to polish it if you don't want to. There are usually custom exhaust shops who can bend you up a 300 series replacement pipe for reasonable cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
Spaz
Advanced Member
Spaz will become famous soon enoughSpaz will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The muffler is a large corrosive crud trap and wil rot off first.
Found that out last week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2696.JPG (38.7 KB, 59 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Found that out last week!
that looks like an aftermarket aluminized exhaust which do rust out fast... my 2001 sc2 still has the original ss cat back system... i recently had the front flex pipe replaced, but the pipes up front are also original...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #19
Spaz
Advanced Member
Spaz will become famous soon enoughSpaz will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
that looks like an aftermarket aluminized exhaust which do rust out fast...
It was installed 4 years ago. I'm hoping the new one lasts longer than that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #20
Luthin

1998 SL2

It will not Spaz...I have replaced 2 pipes/mufflers that were aluminized since 2006.

That's why I started this thread to find out how to buy a true SS system to fix the problem once and for all!

The Thermal R&D system mentioned above looks very good, I'm just nervous on the sound. Wish there were a true SS system that delivered OEM sound levels. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!