SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
ican2
ican2 is on a distinguished road

Default best air filter?

I have a 1997 saturn SL1 & I was wondering which air filter any of you would recommend? Right now its got a Fram air filter but i hear those are cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ican2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ican2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ican2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Re: best air filter?

I think air filters don't add significant impact for "better" quality. I rarely see a difference in my MPG when replacing one. Just go to a FLAPS and get whatever fits your car.

My two cents.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

$5 and $7 rebates on Purolator filters
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165410

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

I spent time Googling up the best air filters one day and after everything I read, concluded there is no brand that is clearly superior to another in terms of quality.

I selected the Purolator only because their oil filters had a better rep than most, and figuring they probably put the same attention to their other products.

Sears had a better price than I could find on the internet at that time. This was a few months ago. The part number I got was AF4650. (Their website does not show it so I recommend you phone them first)

Last edited by ehunter; 03-29-2011 at 12:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
$5 and $7 rebates on Purolator filters
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165410
Keep in mind, the rebate doesn't start until April 3rd. With that said, I already have my filter purchases for the next year ready to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Thanks, I missed that. I have a relatively new filters in all my cars, but was planning on "bunching" purchase of several things (oil filters, etc), and taking advantage of an Advance Auto online purchase coupon at the same time (I think you mentioned one in the other thread)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
fm2200
fm2200 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Thanks, I missed that. I have a relatively new filters in all my cars, but was planning on "bunching" purchase of several things (oil filters, etc), and taking advantage of an Advance Auto online purchase coupon at the same time (I think you mentioned one in the other thread)
.the best air filter in my opinion is the K&N filters. There a little costly but you never need another one, just clean it and re oil it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fm2200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fm2200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fm2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm2200 View Post
.the best air filter in my opinion is the K&N filters. There a little costly but you never need another one, just clean it and re oil it
They are the worst at actually filtering the air. Not recommended at all. The last time I saw a comparison of a bunch of filters, the K&N and foam filters were the worst by a fairly wide margin and the best was actually made by ACDelco. Any paper filter should be just fine. They're cheap and if you change it once a year, you're good to go and are not allowing your engine to ingest a lot of dirt. I usually go with a Wix.

Best,

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: best air filter?

K&N

Almost any standard paper element filter

How much are your engine internals worth to you? I stopped using K&N years ago when I discovered a film of dirt after the filter in the intake system on a 4x4. I returned to standard paper filters and the dirt went away. The correct choice is self-apparent IMHO.

I even took close up photos of some of the thousands of tiny pinholes in the K&N "element" and posted them in this forum. Others have done so as well. Just my 2 cents worth.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ican2 View Post
I have a 1997 saturn SL1 & I was wondering which air filter any of you would recommend? Right now its got a Fram air filter but i hear those are cheap.
I like K&N filters. You only need to buy one then clean and re-oil/reuse when it gets dirty instead of throwing away paper filters. I've used them on my 92 SC, 96 SC2 and 02 SC2 without issues.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm2200 View Post
It's a good choice when you need airflow and are less concerned with engine longevity (e.g., racing).

The increased airflow is a result of less filtering - +1 on any paper filter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

If you're keeping the car for a long time go with K&N. Everyone says they filter worse, but I use them in every vehicle I own and have never had a problem with them. The oil on the filter is what covers those "pin holes" and the bad filtering usually starts when the filter gets dirty (which is why I clean mine about once-twice a year) I have never tried any of the other re-usable air filters but I am satisfied with K&N (my SL2 has a cone filter on the short ram, and my GF's saturn has a drop in which looked new for only $15 at the junk yard and I also got the air box and silencer piece with it for the price). Do some shopping around though, ebay is a good place to get parts for cheap but make sure the seller has a good rating (at least 97% or higher)

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
ehunter

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Until somebody does a study concluding how much engine life is shortened with a less efficient K&N filter a lot of the criticisms here don’t mean much.

For all we know a filter half as efficient as a K&N may have a negligible effect on engine life. Nobody really knows.

If you would like to play it as safe as possible “since” nobody really knows the impact, then go with the paper filter.

The thought of not throwing away used paper filters into the landfill can also be considered nearsighted since you have no idea whether a possible shorter life of the engine/car makes its way to the scrap heap sooner.

So… choose a philosophical side and buy accordingly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
snoops454
snoops454 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

Being that the air intake is the main source for dirt to get in your engine and cause your oil to turn abrasive I would consider it an important element. The air filter is more critical than the oil filter when trying to prevent engine wear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snoops454's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snoops454 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snoops454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #15
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoops454 View Post
Being that the air intake is the main source for dirt to get in your engine and cause your oil to turn abrasive I would consider it an important element. The air filter is more critical than the oil filter when trying to prevent engine wear.
Indeed. And I'm sure a roomful of propeller-heads thought long and hard about the type and size of the filter. GM wouldn't over engineer ANYTHING on the Saturn if they could save a buck on each unit. So I'm reasonably sure that letting in nearly 20X more dirt is probably not a good thing. But hey, for those that don't think letting dirt into the engine is bad, just remove the filter entirely. I hear that really reduces the restriction and opens her up for another 1.1hp.

But don't take my word for it:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Best,

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
mmtphoto
mmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the roughmmtphoto is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR

I have reusable filters in a few of my cars, and if they are properly cleaned and oiled they are as efficient as a paper element filter-problem is many people don't oil them properly, either under-oiling or over-oiling. They also filter better as the accumulate dirt (to a point, obviously) so they require a little more attention. I don't put a lot of miles on my cars over the course of a year, so these types of filters are ideal for how I use my cars, but for cars that I use as daily drivers (like my 99 SL2) I use paper. Just easier to throw in a $7 filter once a year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmtphoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmtphoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #17
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
Until somebody does a study concluding how much engine life is shortened with a less efficient K&N filter a lot of the criticisms here don’t mean much.

For all we know a filter half as efficient as a K&N may have a negligible effect on engine life. Nobody really knows.

If you would like to play it as safe as possible “since” nobody really knows the impact, then go with the paper filter.

The thought of not throwing away used paper filters into the landfill can also be considered nearsighted since you have no idea whether a possible shorter life of the engine/car makes its way to the scrap heap sooner.

So… choose a philosophical side and buy accordingly.
Agreed. And as the link posted by Vuemaniac shows, all filters will perform in different ways, but essentially every single comparison I have seen shows that filters that filter better don't flow as good. Pick your poison.

I've used quite a few K&N filters, some under very harsh conditions. My previous truck accumulated over 120,000 miles with a K&N in it while I owned it, and assuming the second owner didn't toss it, lived to over 200K miles the last I saw it. That included trips off road through Mexico in silt that literally clogged filters in a couple of trucks.

That being said I have seen the posts by DIYguy and people on other forums that seem to be as honest as DIYguy stating they purchased K&Ns with obvious oversized pin holes in them. It made me think enough to check my current K&Ns over real good, though I found no such problems.

I've got a Wix in the Saturn, due to the fact that on a SOHC engine the increase in flow wouldn't do much of anything for it anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:09 AM   #18
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
The latest pro study on the difference was that they both trap about the same amount of dirt. the difference is that the KN flows a lot more air so the percentage of dirt going through the engine is more due to the increased air flow.

Also the engineers at MOPAR will not honor a turbo warranty if the engine had a KN installed when it was brought in (ask me why I know that) They also candidly referred to it as a rock and stick remover and not suitable for turbo applications. But what do they know about a 8 or so micron piece of dirt hitting the impeller spinning at 50,000 rpm's. They basically said if you can hold it up to the light and see light through the element its not good enough. (I also know they are 1100 bucks a pop) The turbo was the only item on the cummins that needs special approval for the factory pryor to it being replaced under warrenty.

one could also go to the jeep fourms (I belong to the wj grand cherokee and CJ) and read how many of them found dust in their intake trunk (the clean side) when using them compaired to other brands. ( I think oiled foam and ammsoil were the ones that had no dust show up after a day of "wheeling"

I would say if fram was able to hide the air filter in a can they would make it as cheep as they could get away with and not do any harm.......but their air filters must look good when you get it out of the box. My last filter for the WJ was the oiled paper filter from fram. I use Baldwins for my cummins. (paper with a oiled foam prefilter)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #19
ehunter

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996SL11.9L View Post
The latest pro study on the difference was that they both trap about the same amount of dirt. the difference is that the KN flows a lot more air so the percentage of dirt going through the engine is more due to the increased air flow.
So then there are Pro studies that contradict each other. Who you going to believe? I guess that if you have one, you will want to believe they are the better. Its just human nature.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:11 AM   #20
VUEmaniac

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996SL11.9L View Post
The latest pro study on the difference was that they both trap about the same amount of dirt.
What "pro study" is that? Can you share with the class?

Best,

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!