SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Restorium
Restorium has a spectacular aura aboutRestorium has a spectacular aura about

Default Multiple Codes RR Speed Sensor

I pulled up to my snow drifted mailbox the other day and when I pulled away I had multiple codes; U0102 C0899 C0460 C0050

After reading quite a few threads here I decided the best way to go was to replace the RR Speed Sensor.

Just finished that up and I still have the codes. Disconnected the battery and still have the same codes. Went up to Advanced Auto and they tried to reset the codes but they just keep coming back.

Any advice?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Restorium's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Restorium reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Multiple Codes RR Speed Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
I pulled up to my snow drifted mailbox the other day and when I pulled away I had multiple codes; U0102 C0899 C0460 C0050

After reading quite a few threads here I decided the best way to go was to replace the RR Speed Sensor.

Just finished that up and I still have the codes. Disconnected the battery and still have the same codes. Went up to Advanced Auto and they tried to reset the codes but they just keep coming back.

Any advice?
Codes could be caused by wet X408 connector. Its a known bad-actor and GM released service bulletin to cut wires and splice around the little guy.

You could pop it open and do a visual of contacts. If all you see is moisture (and no welded contacts) - use canned air to expel moisture for a quick road test. If codes stay gone (might need to clear) you'd decide to try waterproofing X408 or bypassing using water-proof splice materials.

First thumbprint identifies X408 location and the next two depict connector appearance and electrical circuits contained therein.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map to conn.jpg (203.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg X408 Pg 1.jpg (201.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg X408 Pg2.jpg (128.0 KB, 107 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Codes could be caused by wet X408 connector. Its a known bad-actor and GM released service bulletin to cut wires and splice around the little guy.

You could pop it open and do a visual of contacts. If all you see is moisture (and no welded contacts) - use canned air to expel moisture for a quick road test. If codes stay gone (might need to clear) you'd decide to try waterproofing X408 or bypassing using water-proof splice materials.

First thumbprint identifies X408 location and the next two depict connector appearance and electrical circuits contained therein.
Thanks. I'll give that a try and report back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Restorium reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Restorium

I've spent some time checking out all of the wiring connections and they seem to be in very good condition and are dry. I keep this Vue in the garage most of the time so the underside is very clean, looks like new.

Here's something I noticed;

This is an all wheel drive model. Before I changed the right rear wheel speed sensor I watched how the warning lights where coming on. After I shut the Vue off and tried it out again the all wheel drive light wouldn't come on until I moved the car and then it would come on. I understand this would be because the faulty right rear wheel speed sensor was faulting out and reading zero when the other wheels were reading higher than that. This has changed since I replaced the right rear wheel speed sensor. Now the all wheel drive fault is on even before I move the Vue. Could this be a reset problem now? Fuse? Anything other than the wiring? This Vue has 70,000 miles on it and it's the first time anything has gone wrong with it. It still runs and drives fine. The all wheel drive still seems to be working but the traction control seems to be not working and the ABS definitely is not working.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
I've spent some time checking out all of the wiring connections and they seem to be in very good condition and are dry. I keep this Vue in the garage most of the time so the underside is very clean, looks like new.

Here's something I noticed;

This is an all wheel drive model. Before I changed the right rear wheel speed sensor I watched how the warning lights where coming on. After I shut the Vue off and tried it out again the all wheel drive light wouldn't come on until I moved the car and then it would come on. I understand this would be because the faulty right rear wheel speed sensor was faulting out and reading zero when the other wheels were reading higher than that. This has changed since I replaced the right rear wheel speed sensor. Now the all wheel drive fault is on even before I move the Vue. Could this be a reset problem now? Fuse? Anything other than the wiring? This Vue has 70,000 miles on it and it's the first time anything has gone wrong with it. It still runs and drives fine. The all wheel drive still seems to be working but the traction control seems to be not working and the ABS definitely is not working.
I'm baffled but what's new about that?

Here's a brief explanation for each of codes you listed:

DTC U0102 00: Lost Communication With Transfer Case Control Module ... diagrams don't depict for your Vue has so I suspect code applies to AWD Rear Differential Clutch Control Module (RDCCM).

DTC C0899: Caused by two conditions ... if either exists for 0.5 seconds, or 5 seconds if the engine is cranking:

The EBCM detects that the battery voltage is less than 9.7 V, and the vehicle speed is greater than 0 km/h.

The EBCM detects that the battery voltage is less than 8.45 V, regardless of vehicle speed.

DTC C0460: Several steering related codes - I assume they're e-stability control related and might be caused by ABS failure?!?

DTC C0460 39: Steering Position Signal

DTC C0460 42: Steering Position Signal Initialization Not Accomplished

DTC C0460 4B: Steering Position Signal Calibration Not Accomplished

DTC C0460 5A: Steering Position Signal Not Plausible

DTC C0460 71: Steering Position Signal Internal Failure

DTC C0460 72: Steering Position Signal Rolling Count Invalid

DTC C0050 ... three conditions can set this code ...

DTC C0050 00 : Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit No Additional Information

DTC C0050 0F : Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Erratic Signal

DTC C0050 18 : Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Signal Amplitude Less Than Minimum

Going by diagrams - I can see where a X408 problem can cause U0102 (if data bus can't control RDCCM and C0050 if new RR sensor is bad - or connector - or wiring.

Remaining codes (C0899 and CC0460) might be sympathy codes or perhaps in case of C0899) - the battery is shot.

I've attached thumbnails of two GM documents pertaining to X408 wiring - one document mentions connector causing engine to not crank - you've not mentioned this one.

I think if Vue was in my driveway I would disconnect X408 - decide which part was for rear-end wiring - and check for 800 to 1700 ohms between contacts 8 and 9 (typical ABS wheel speed sensor resistance).

I'd next check resistance for 6 and 7 - these contacts are for GM hi-speed LAN. I'm guessing the value is around 120 ohms simply because that's value of bypass resistor installed for non-AWD Vue's.

If both circuits are good - you can probably assume problem is further forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X408-1.jpg (71.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg X408-2.jpg (67.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg X408-3.jpg (70.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg X408-4.jpg (66.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg X408-5.jpg (101.6 KB, 53 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
Restorium

The Vue runs perfect. It cranks perfect. New battery just 2 months ago.

I keep thinking about the last thing that happened right before all those codes;

I pulled up to the mailbox and got a little body roll/flex because of the hard snow drift. It made sense to me that a chunk of hard snow popped up and pulled on the RR wheel sensor. Since I replaced that with no luck I'm thinking the body roll/flex might have pinched the harness somewhere. I'm just about to the point of taking it to the dealership. I know that they will have to go down this same road paved with $$$$$$.

Thanks for your help and I'm going to try some more things. I will report back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
Restorium

I decided to take the Vue to the dealer to have the x408 connector bypassed.

In the process of checking out the connector the tech found that the wire running to the RR speed sensor was broken. It was broken in one place up above the rear differential. There's no reason for it. It was not pinched by anything. It must have just been a bad harness since it was new and finally broke and lost continuity. The tech just spliced it together and everything went back to normal. $115 total charge at the dealership.

Thanks for providing a place to ask questions, and thanks for your great help far2grumpy. I'm hoping this thread helps some folks with this problem. I'm willing to bet there are quite a few bad wiring harnesses out there just waiting to reap havoc upon those of us that just hate electrical problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

$115 to get you back on road is a grand bargain.

I can't make a case for how an open wheel speed sensor loop could cause the codes you had but the results are a raging success.

Congratulations!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #9
Tankmalone
Tankmalone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post

Any info on bypassing. I just traced brown wire, spliced it before the x408 and instead of going to other end of x408 I spliced it right to the sensor. Lights still on. Next to try is gy/bk and I will splice the same. I'm going one wire at a time. What do I need to do with the red/WHT power and bk ground as they are dead ends into the connector?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tankmalone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tankmalone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tankmalone is offline   Reply With Quote