SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 07:35 AM   #1
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line
Default Block drain (coolant) question....

Recently, I replaced the Dexcool in my '01 SC2 as part of PM.
Doing so, I drained the radiator and the block and emptied the expansion tank. I now have a very slight leak from the block drain after replacing the bolt...a quarter size (small) puddle shows up under the car after driving it for a while after the system builds pressure. For those that have removed the block drain, it is a 10mm head, one inch long bolt that is located under the thermostat. Removing took quite a bit of torque...was surprised in fact...had to lean on the rachet...presume it was torqued tight to prevent leakage or coming loose due to vibration.
I likely did not retorque it that tight as it threads into aluminum.
Question is...anybody else know about this?...once the seal is broken for this drain...any leakage issues? Is it an advised practice to put something around the washer like an RTV when retorquing it?...or perhaps replacing the sealing washer? I don't want to go to higher torque if unnecessary...I tightened it up pretty good...but apparently some Dexcool, a small amount is leaking by the threads and head of the bolt when under pressure.
Thanks for any advice,
George
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2004, 09:30 AM   #2
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Last time I did an S coolant change, I seem to recall a metal washer on the drain bolt. If no one can give you a better answer, I'll check the FSM when I get home.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:04 AM   #3
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Thank you BigBird. Yes there is a large flat washer on the coolant drain plug under the t-stat. Mine is weeping, and wonder if I should coat the threads or underside of the washer and reinstall the bolt. Just don't want to add needless high torque if there is a more proper solution.
Thanks for checking the FSM..if they have a torque spec for that bolt that would help as well,
George
Old 05-21-2004, 10:10 AM   #4
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Get another drain bolt?
85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg
Old 05-21-2004, 10:58 AM   #5
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

nothing wrong with the bolt...thread and head are perfect....just leaks...lol.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
bigbird

Quote:
Originally posted by gm7
nothing wrong with the bolt...thread and head are perfect....just leaks...lol.
Is the washer crushed? Is there a nick on the machined part of the block where the washer seats? I know the torque on the drain bolt is not excessive; it's steel on aluminum so you don't want to overtorque. I would suggest trying a thin nylon or composite washer against the block, then the metal washer, then the bolt. Don't torque over 10 ft.lbs to start.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:34 AM   #7
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

will need to pull it off and look at it under a glass to see. To the naked eye it looked perfect...may reverse the washer as it may have take on some concavity due to torquing. I am very focused on torques...would say I did not exceed 10 ft-lbs going back on...break away torque however was perhaps 3X's that or very high for this small bolt.
Thanks,
George
Old 05-21-2004, 02:44 PM   #8
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2003 VUE 3.0L

Loc-Tite PST (Pipe Sealer w/ Teflon) is the technician's friend on these type joints.

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/lo...d=114&layout=3
Old 05-22-2004, 12:00 AM   #9
bigbird

Quote:
Originally posted by gm7
if they have a torque spec for that bolt that would help as well, George
I just checked the FSM for the drain bolt torque. Were we wrong! 26 ft lbs. That's more than the spark plug torque!
Old 05-22-2004, 02:33 AM   #10
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Thanks Bigbird and Bill Murray. So happens I have some Loctite PST on hand so will give it a try and BB I too am suprised about the torque of the coolant plug...I need to tighten mine a bit. 26 ft-lbs seems correct based upon breakaway torque which I felt excessive for this size fastener into aluminum but perhaps it needs that level of torque to adequately seal with 15 psi of system pressure. Hope this helps others with their coolant replacement.
Thanks a lot guys,
George
Old 05-22-2004, 10:23 AM   #11
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

[quote]Fm George[/b]
seems correct based upon breakaway torque which I felt excessive for this size fastener into aluminum but perhaps it needs that level of torque to adequately seal with 15 psi of system pressure.

Whow.....very good piece of analysis.
> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired
Old 05-22-2004, 09:30 PM   #12
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray
Loc-Tite PST (Pipe Sealer w/ Teflon) is the technician's friend on these type joints.

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/lo...d=114&layout=3
Good ole Telfon Tape pipe thread sealer (available in plumbing supply section of any hardware store) can be used as well and is easy to deal with.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Closed Thread