SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 09-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
MobileSaturn
MobileSaturn is on a distinguished road

1999 SL
Question Component speaker tweeter placement?

Hi all! I just joined the forums after doing a search for tweeter placement, but couldn't find the info I wanted from the two threads that popped up.

I have a '99 SL that's in cherry condition and want to add component speakers in the front, but would like to avoid doing any permanent modifications. I'd be willing to install tweeters on the A-pillars since I can find some good ones in the local Pull-a-Part to modify, but they seem too curvy to do a good flush mount. I'd rather not drill into the door panels, though I'd be willing to put them in the little plastic cover that fills where the door lock switches would otherwise be (although that seems awfully far back into the cabin).

What are some places others have installed their tweeters, and were satisfied with the results?
MobileSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Component speaker tweeter placement?

top front corner of the door doesn't work for you?.. YOu want to ductape them inplace?

Why not permanent?
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
MobileSaturn

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
top front corner of the door doesn't work for you?.. YOu want to ductape them inplace?

Why not permanent?
My doors are so virgin it hurts. Like, even the top part of the door panel plastic, next to the window, isn't even sun faded. I can't injure these doors with a hole.

...I know, it's stupid.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileSaturn View Post
. I can't injure these doors with a hole.

...I know, it's stupid.
AS a famous man once said,
"Here's your sign"
'17 Suby Forester

Old 09-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #5
MobileSaturn

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
AS a famous man once said,
"Here's your sign"
Oh my gosh noooo. XD

How about the black plastic pieces that cover the mirror mounting bolts? Is there enough room in the driver's side one with the manual mirror adjustment to run screws and wiring for a tweeter?
Old 09-20-2016, 11:25 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Hi all! I just joined the forums after doing a search for tweeter placement, but couldn't find the info I wanted from the two threads that popped up.

I have a '99 SL that's in cherry condition and want to add component speakers in the front, but would like to avoid doing any permanent modifications. I'd be willing to install tweeters on the A-pillars since I can find some good ones in the local Pull-a-Part to modify, but they seem too curvy to do a good flush mount. I'd rather not drill into the door panels, though I'd be willing to put them in the little plastic cover that fills where the door lock switches would otherwise be (although that seems awfully far back into the cabin).

What are some places others have installed their tweeters, and were satisfied with the results?
You can mount them in the rear deck aimed up at the rear window and that will work amazingly well. A pair of rear co-ax speakers with a higher quality tweeter section will solve the issue.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:06 AM   #7
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Oh my gosh noooo. XD

How about the black plastic pieces that cover the mirror mounting bolts? Is there enough room in the driver's side one with the manual mirror adjustment to run screws and wiring for a tweeter?
YOu can always remove the outer door panel, first, then decide on placement based on the clearances seen.... if you want to put the crossovers in thedoor, it would take the guesswork out of the equation.
'17 Suby Forester

Old 09-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I put the tweeters on the removable clip-in a-pillar dash insert on my '96 SC2...which doesn't help a non '95 SC/SL/SW or '96 SC owner much...

I'd do the same idea to any other S-Series, though if I were concerned about the quality of the stock dash pad I'd get one from a junkyard to cut up instead of cutting the stock one.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, component, placement, speaker, tweeter