SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 11-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
FreyBr
FreyBr is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Black Friday = Beginning Audio Customization!

Well, first I guess I'll say hi as I am fairly new to the forum. But getting to the point, what better place to spend money on Black Friday than on my new Astra. Got it this past July and like many, the first dissappointment was the sound system.

Just purchased some Infinity 6022i speakers that I'm going to install in a few minutes. This will be my first ever attempt at customizing a vehicle so it will be a learning process but I figured I'd share my progress and results with fellow Asta-ers. Got the speakers for 60 bux a pair, 120 total. Between now and Christmas I will be adding -- Alpine CDA-105 head unit, new Amp, and possibly a sub. We'll see what tomorrow brings!!

Time to work on my car!
FreyBr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Black Friday = Beginning Audio Customization!

Sounds good, hope everything turns out well for you. If you need any help, feel free to ask. I've ripped apart my XR3 a few times to install things, a new sound system is worth the effort in the Astra.
My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

2008 Astra 3 door XR, 5-speed MT Black Sapphire, custom audio system
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
FreyBr

2008 Astra XR
2008 VUE 2.4L

Well, about 5 hours later haha. I got the front speakers in and one of the rears. Seeing that this was my first time ever ripping apart ANY car.... so obviously I made some freshman mistakes.

At the store the guy said even though the rears were 5 1/4''s, he made 6 1/2's fit. I couldn't make them fit ahah. But, I got the fronts in... took a while since i had never done it before but got it done. But after a few hours of frustration and trial and error my Dad and I just decided we'd let the guy at Best Buy do the rears.

Guess I kinda sold out, but I'd rather have it done the right way. Thinkin about asking him if I can sit in on the process. We'll see.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:57 AM   #4
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Skip the Alpine deck and get the Sony with built in bluetooth. It's only like $40 more, and WAY more useful. The Alpines are over rated. Or step it up to the Kenwood with bluetooth & USB, though it doesn't do BT Audio like the Sony does.
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

I've seen more sony heads units die than any other brands. I'd avoid them at all costs. Plus, the sony Xplod series is notorius for bad audio quality.

Kenwood and Pioneer are both good brands, I usually do Pioneer for installs and are wonderful. I'm using a Pioneer that I bought 4 years ago and has been in 3 different cars now.

All of the speaker openings in the Astra can hold 6 1/2" speakers, you just need to drill new holes for the bolts. It can be irritating, I'll admit that. Do you have a 3 or 5 door?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
dark-divx
dark-divx is on a distinguished road

if I can choose than would it be a Alpine Head unit.
very good quality for not a huge price.

grtz
dark-divx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Larry_va
Larry_va is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

When you do the install are you replacing the speaker grills with the new speaker grills?
Larry_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
dark-divx
dark-divx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_va View Post
When you do the install are you replacing the speaker grills with the new speaker grills?
If it was my car I fitt the new speakers behind the original speakers.
place enough
dark-divx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
FreyBr

2008 Astra XR
2008 VUE 2.4L

I'll worry about the head unit when I get there, thanks for the input though.

NightWalker, I have a 3 door. I realized that this morning after I talked to a friend, that that was the ultimatum--drilling a new hole. I fit 2/3's of the holes with my speaker mount, and drill 1 new one. So I have the passenger side speaker in... moving on to the driver side right now.

One thing... I did it without removing the seats, rather them just folded down. So essentially I was sitting on the seat back of the passenger side-- so I don't know its just the frustration of working on these for 2 days now or if I really did somehow lock them down in the folded position? I can't get the seat to sit back up.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
FreyBr

2008 Astra XR
2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark-divx View Post
If it was my car I fitt the new speakers behind the original speakers.
place enough
Yah I for sure wasn't able to replace the grills in the front. After looking in the rear side panels (3 door) it looks like I could put the new grills in somehow, but it'd involve a little work.

--possibly a future project?
Old 11-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

The existing grills are built into the panels, so it would need a lot of work to put in new ones. You would have to mount the grill to the panel, but they are designed to be bolted down with the speakers.

As for the seats, I think they do lock down, try pressing the buttons on the tops of the seats near the head rests. I can't remember if I had issues with them or not.

The two rear speakers do take a lot of time to replace, including removing the seats to do it properly. I know that you're getting (or have gotten) best buy to do them, but check out the link in my signature for a lot of information and pictures on the speakers.
My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

Old 11-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
Suns_PSD
Suns_PSD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Can I get a significant improvement in sound quality by only replacing the speakers?

Would I get more bang for the buck by just replacing just the head unit?

Thanks.
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

They seat are locked into place just sit on it while pressing the button and they should unlock so you can move them again
09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #14
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
Can I get a significant improvement in sound quality by only replacing the speakers?

Thanks.
If you are just looking for better quality sound, not more power, then replacing the speakers is the way to go. The CD40 head unit that is part of the Astra's advanced audio package can put out good quality audio, but it just can't get very loud. The stock speakers are a joke and sound horrible.

Replacing the head unit also requires more that just a new head unit, because the wiring isn't the same as traditionally used in most other cars. Plus, an after market head unit can easily blow the stock speakers.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:15 AM   #15
FreyBr

2008 Astra XR
2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post

Thanks.
My two and a half hour drive back to school tonight would have been unbearable without the speakers I just put in. Traffic was ridiculous but, with new speakers-- I literally hear so much more in the music itself as well as the range too. New speakers have made a world of a difference already, I can't wait till I put a higher quality head unit and then amp them up, should be great!

As for stock speakers, I've heard putting a new head unit in and/or amp'ing them can improve quality. But eventually, if you want the best sound you can get, you're going to want replace them.

So if you're looking for most bang for your buck. I'd say the biggest difference for least amount of money is a new set of speakers. Like I said, I got two pairs of Infinitity 6022i's for $59.99/pair. So about 120 bucks total- not bad at all. The head unit I'm looking at is about $189-199.

Someone in another thread referred to the stock speakers as looking like 'paper plates' i'd say worse a little --closer to looking like a thick coffee filter. Unfortunate they had to put such poor stocks in.

I actually didn't end up taking my Astra in to Best Buy, I went but they couldn't fit me in within the weekend so I just asked for some guidance as to what to do. Basically he said the same thing, "drill new holes". So I worked on it for about another 4 or 5 hours tonight and finally finished. Felt good to accomplish this since it was my first time.

--also, I did a little makeshift attempt at deadening the rears. Since the 6 1/2''s werent a perfect fit. Filled in some gaps with some quarter inch foam tubing we had laying around the garage. Not professional by any means but figured it might help. I'll post some pictures eventually.

What are other things I can do to improve sound quality other than amp, head unit, sub, basic electronics? I'm new and so excited to mess with stuff.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #16
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

If you sound deaden the doors you will get improved bass and eliminate (or greatly reduce) rattles.
2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #17
Nightwalker

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyBr View Post
What are other things I can do to improve sound quality other than amp, head unit, sub, basic electronics? I'm new and so excited to mess with stuff.
What you just listed is pretty much the only basic things you can do to get better sound. As long as it is all decent quality and not cheap stuff, you'll be good to go.

Outside of that, you can do like me and start adding extra speakers. I put some Infinity 6x9's in the rear shelf, the difference is very nice. It adds more dynamics and a better range of response than the 6 1/2" speakers in the doors. The only downside is that you'll need to get proper amplifiers and correctly wire them up to get it all to work like it should.

You could start going to the extreme and getting audio processors and the likes, but that stuff is usually found in cars that do competitions.

Tags
audio, speakers