SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
TunasTwins
TunasTwins is on a distinguished road

Default Camshaft position sensor DTC fixed now the car pings!

So I attacked a valve body/input shaft job and also replace my plug wires to fix a camshaft position sensor DTC at the same time. Trans works great (thanxs special forces) but now the car pings under load/low RPMS and at high RPM when accelerating.
I checked the wires resistance before installing them and just replaced my 10k autolite copper plugs today, along with a new ECTS. I have both autotap and EFI live and chose EFI live to monitor the car tonight. My coolant temp was noticeably higher than before (212vs172) and I'm anticipating better MPG's The most knock retard I saw was 3.8 degrees and saw 1.5 degrees frequently. I have a new thermo sitting in the box but dont think its necessary ATM.
So whats the next step? New knock sensor? Seafoam? CPS? O2? BLAH, I just dont get how changing the plug wires would start this as it never pinged regulary, maybe just on a cold start.
TunasTwins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Camshaft position sensor DTC fixed now the car pings!

Try a tank of high test gas and see if it still pings. It does sound like you could use a knock sensor.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
TunasTwins

Will do as that was the next step before I throw more parts at it. So, no ping=? still pinging= knock sensor or CPS. I looked at the pistons and they hve a good amount of carbon which Seafoam would fix up but I'm still trying to figure out how this started or was it just a major coincidence.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If using the high test gets rid of the ping then its carbon buildup and nothing will get rid of it other than a water induction. Techron or seafoam will not do it. The water induction is done in a controlled bled into the intake while maintaining the RPM at 1500 or so with an engine that is at operating temperature. The resulting steam will clean out all of the carbon.
The gas test will also tell you that the knock sensor is not working.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
TunasTwins

I'll likely fill up tomorrow. I only got 190 miles this tank which is disgusting. My old 93 SL1 manual would get 31 no matter how hard I drove it. Funny thing is this 96 can still get 40MPG highway. Probably the CTS so I just want to get rid of the ping and I'm good. Thanx
Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The CTS could possibly be the cause of the ping, or a major contributor. What does the short term fuel trim look like?
Old 09-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
TunasTwins

-3 stft 30-40kpa around 2k. -3 LTFT around the same area.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The SFT looks OK. Check the idle fuel pressure and then just turn the car off and watch the pressure decay. If the injector(s) are leaking it will slowly drop. The pump check valve will look the same way so its not a definitive test. It still sounds like a sticking/sluggish injector.

When you try the high test add a full jug of Techron. It will clean up a moderately fouled injector.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:58 AM   #9
TunasTwins

Well i put some 91 E10 in there and drove to work and back-6 miles Car was still pinging so Ill dig up the FP guage and check for a leaky injector. I'm still trying to figure out how/why this just came up when I changed my wires. Would anything with the transmission cause or sound like pinging? I dont think so and obviously EFI live is showing knock so should I replace the knock sensor? I dont want to throw parts at the car but they're so damn cheap its really the time spent that is costly. I have 8 month old twin boys so I usually have to schedule time in the garage and beg my wife when the time comes. Thanks for the help so far, hopefully I can get this done because the car is running great otherwise.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:19 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Pinging is most likely a thing of the past and rarely does a knock sensor fail. Far too many owners have never heard of real engine knocking or combustion from detonation resulting in never a rich fuel condition but leaned out mixtures or excess vacuum leaks causing leaned mixtures. Have you ever considered the pinging is actually from the belt tensioner rattling against its stop? Either a worn out tensioner or too long a belt. The correct belt length recommended is the 778 one and not the 780 one. A worn out tensioner in combination with a longer belt will have the tensioner banging against its mechanical stop resulting in something misinterpreted as engine knock. The two are not related as one is from detonation in the cylinders while the other is just a plain mechanical knock from metal hitting metal.

A simple procedure to verify tensioner issues would be to remove the belt and run the engine for a minute or less, enough time for you to listen for knocking. The immediate absence of knocking would be the tensioner/belt issue and not detonation from within the combustion chambers.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunasTwins View Post
Well i put some 91 E10 in there and drove to work and back-6 miles Car was still pinging so Ill dig up the FP guage and check for a leaky injector.
No where near long enough to get to the higher octane fuel.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

A bad belt tensioner and/or belt will cause a knock sensor retard.

Quote:
I just dont get how changing the plug wires would start this as it never pinged regulary, maybe just on a cold start.
This might just be a big clue. There is a long running problem. If you hear detonation that is serious damage. The pinging that the knock sensor detects is usually inaudible to the operator. I would start a serious search for another cause than fuel/timing/ignition.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #13
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunasTwins View Post
So I attacked a valve body/input shaft job and also replace my plug wires to fix a camshaft position sensor DTC at the same time. Trans works great (thanxs special forces) but now the car pings under load/low RPMS and at high RPM when accelerating.
I checked the wires resistance before installing them and just replaced my 10k autolite copper plugs today, along with a new ECTS. I have both autotap and EFI live and chose EFI live to monitor the car tonight. My coolant temp was noticeably higher than before (212vs172) and I'm anticipating better MPG's The most knock retard I saw was 3.8 degrees and saw 1.5 degrees frequently. I have a new thermo sitting in the box but dont think its necessary ATM.
So whats the next step? New knock sensor? Seafoam? CPS? O2? BLAH, I just dont get how changing the plug wires would start this as it never pinged regulary, maybe just on a cold start.
Just a clarification, but did you change to another plug brand or another set of the same Autolite plugs?

Not all heat ranges are created equal. Assuming you have the old plugs the cost would be a few minutes of time to find out.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #14
TunasTwins

Same part number autolite plugs. I "think" it may be the cat actually. I'll have my wife throw it into gear and mash the gas so I can listen to the motor. Hopefully she doesnt collect on my life insurance policy. Funny thing is it all started after new plug wires and a valve body, leading me to think it was pinging. The tensioner is still not out of the question either.
BTW, I've heard detonation before unfortunately: LT1 350 Trans AM with 12PSi of boost, my other project that I havent driven in a year Nothing detrimental but I've heard it.....