SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
plattsr
plattsr is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Question Replacing Aura Front Speakers?

I would like to replace the front speaker/tweeters in my 2008 Aura XE (non-premium stereo). After searching the forums, I was able to find the front speaker sizes, but no information regarding fitting an aftermarket tweeter into the stock tweeter housing. I want to avoid cutting or damaging the pillar

Has anyone replaced their stock tweeters, or know if this is possible? Is there a certain set of speakers that will fit in the stock tweeter bracket? I am looking at a nice set of alpine type-r coaxials
plattsr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
Askspot
Askspot is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Replacing Aura Front Speakers?

You need to cut the back of the plastic off the tweeter locations and mod them. I put HERTZ HSK 165's in my car you need to make a custom wooden plate and space it so the magnets have space behind them. So it will take punching out holes to mount the spacers where your woofers will mount. Have you looked at the speakers in the doors? the mounts are not typical and it takes some common sense and woodworking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsr View Post
I would like to replace the front speaker/tweeters in my 2008 Aura XE (non-premium stereo). After searching the forums, I was able to find the front speaker sizes, but no information regarding fitting an aftermarket tweeter into the stock tweeter housing. I want to avoid cutting or damaging the pillar

Has anyone replaced their stock tweeters, or know if this is possible? Is there a certain set of speakers that will fit in the stock tweeter bracket? I am looking at a nice set of alpine type-r coaxials
Askspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
plattsr

2008 AURA XE

Uh oh, this was what I was dreading. I have not looked at the front speakers. Are there no after market adapter plates? Do you think the front speakers could handle 75 Watt RMS?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
Askspot

Umm maybe 15 watts RMS Don't waste your time. And don't buy over prices Alpine, Kicker, Pioneer brands. Go with rainbow, hertz, ect.... incredible sound for the price!. You should make you're own speaker adapter rings out of 11ply plywood much stronger than MDF. That is what I did.. But, everyone does something different. Those cheap plastic ones flex causing huge loss on low end because they are not ridged like 3/4" plywood! Good luck!

Quote:
Uh oh, this was what I was dreading. I have not looked at the front speakers. Are there no after market adapter plates? Do you think the front speakers could handle 75 Watt RMS?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
Askspot

If you have any REPUTABLE car audio places that sell the higher-end gear like Hertz, Audisson, Rainbow ect... have them put it in for you if you are unsure. They will make the plate for you! and you can install it and punch the new mounting holes in the door too. If you have a rotozip that is a plus! Again good luck. It was a big project! Those multiplex conn. between the door and body suck to get 12 gauge wire through. You can mount the crossovers in the plastic inside of the door with industrial Velcro after you take out that Styrofoam piece.

Quote:
Old 08-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askspot View Post
You need to cut the back of the plastic off the tweeter locations and mod them. I put HERTZ HSK 165's in my car you need to make a custom wooden plate and space it so the magnets have space behind them. So it will take punching out holes to mount the spacers where your woofers will mount. Have you looked at the speakers in the doors? the mounts are not typical and it takes some common sense and woodworking.
What is not typical of the door mounts?

I suppose Alpine still makes great speakers; I feel the head-units went in the toilet. My subs blew(Type R 12's, 6 years old) I loved the things, excellent double bass drumming. I have not seen one bad review on type R's any type(sub, coaxial, component). So I've ordered up a new pair. My system was all alpine. HU, Type R speakers and V12 amps. Loved the whole setup when it was in my old car. So far only have subs in this one. The only way the whole setup will make it in is if I get the Alpine unit I want. Which is 5 years old and still goes for more than $200 on ebay.
98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

Last edited by metgol; 08-28-2009 at 11:27 PM.
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:

Get components if you're playing with the tweeter. The stock tweeter might sound strange coupled with the coaxials.
98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
plattsr

2008 AURA XE

I have a pair of Alpine Type-R 6x9 in the rear deck because I thought the factory rear speakers were aweful. They are using factory amplification, so they dont sound much better. So I am looking at a full alpine upgrade, I also am fond of the type-r line. So am looking at the PDX-5 5 channel amp, to push the cabin speakers and a new 10" type r sub. I would be getting Type-R coaxials for the front, if only I could figure out a simple way of having them installed.

Askspot, would you by chance have any photos? I dont trust BestBuy to install, not sure of any skilled audio installers in my area. That would be a 3 hour trip to chicago. Roadtrip...
Old 08-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #9
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Pending how well you are at building... 6.5's would be better in the rear deck than 6x9's especially with adding a subwoofer.
98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!
Old 08-30-2009, 12:27 AM   #10
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

I'm biting the bullet and putting in my system complete. Just ordered the wiring harness (Metra GMRC-LAN-03; who needs onstar?) $80 ebay. and Metra mounting kit for single din. $16. Now waiting on a deal on the hu. Sorta desire the unopened box, although 5 years old.
98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!
Old 08-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
plattsr

2008 AURA XE

Metgol, I'm curious what a single DIN mount radio would look like in the Aura. I like the factory look, but would replace my unit if I found something that wasnt too out of place
Old 08-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #12
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Metgol, I'm curious what a single DIN mount radio would look like in the Aura. I like the factory look, but would replace my unit if I found something that wasnt too out of place
I was the same. But I got all this stereo sitting around and not a headunit I want. I'll let you know what it looks like. I'm in process of getting what I want. Sad I have to get a 5 year old Alpine unit to get something of quality. What I know for sure is the metra mounting kits will not look as horrible as the scosche ones. The pockets on the metra is a larger opening.

I was curious too I found one on a Solstice forum.HERE Not so bad.
98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

Last edited by metgol; 08-30-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:59 AM   #13
Askspot

I'll take pics tomorrow ok. I hot glued the tweets to the back of the mounts. You have to cut off the excess plastic. It works quite well actually hahah. Look for my pics tomorrow night. I did everything myself. Don't get the R-type trust me! I've had R-type go find some Hertz hands down 100x better than any overpriced Alpine.

Quote:
I have a pair of Alpine Type-R 6x9 in the rear deck because I thought the factory rear speakers were aweful. They are using factory amplification, so they dont sound much better. So I am looking at a full alpine upgrade, I also am fond of the type-r line. So am looking at the PDX-5 5 channel amp, to push the cabin speakers and a new 10" type r sub. I would be getting Type-R coaxials for the front, if only I could figure out a simple way of having them installed.

Askspot, would you by chance have any photos? I dont trust BestBuy to install, not sure of any skilled audio installers in my area. That would be a 3 hour trip to chicago. Roadtrip...
Old 08-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
Askspot

Alright you have asked for it! If you're ready for a lot of work here ya go! Let me start out with the basics. Obviously detach your factory tweet. What you do then it look for the two tabs that hold it in. DON'T CUT THOSE. Those will be your hot glue joints. You need to get a small side snips and carefully trim the plastic surround off the back of the tweeter holder. Then look at my pics to see how you can hot glue them. THIS WILL NOT DAMAGE YOUR TWEETER. I re-cone and fix speakers for a living.http://www.tristatesound.com

Anyway, Do that and you will have a good mount. Here are some picture of what I did with my knowledge of woodworking and audio. It's all built by me. I used the Hertz HSK 165 two way components for speakers. I have used others including the Kicker SS comps. Don't waste your money!!!! Stay away from Kicker, Alpine. ect. Go with the British or Italian made/designed speakers. Good brands... Hertz, rainbow (used in Mercedes), Digital Designs, Audisson, Focal, ect....

You will see that you need to take your truck open out of the door most likely if you are using one of these brands, because they are deep so you need to build a speaker ring spacer to bring them forward so you can unroll your window.

If you have any further questions I will be glad to answer them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1Picture-075.jpg (98.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 1Picture-076.jpg (91.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 1Picture-082.jpg (87.9 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 1Picture-084.jpg (71.2 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 1Picture-086.jpg (97.0 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 1Picture-091.jpg (102.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 1Picture-093.jpg (102.3 KB, 120 views)
Old 08-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Hot glue is an excellent solution i didn't think of. One mystery solved.
98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #16
plattsr

2008 AURA XE

alright Askspot, I placed my speaker order. I was on a semi tight budget, so here is what I ended up with:

-Infinity Reference Coax to replace pair up front, they will get mounted in factory opening. (being shipped)
-My alpine Type-R 6x9 in rear deck will get replaced with same set of 6.5 Reference Coax's. (being shipped)
-250Watt RMS Infinity "Basslink T" in trunk. (already installed)

Cabin speakers are likely going to be powered by Infinity Reference amp (not ordered yet - saving up) at 4x75Watt RMS. Total system = 9 Speakers / 550 Watt RMS.

Im pretty excited, cant wait to get all installed. Keep in mind, I am not audiofile, so this is an amazing midrange system for me I will also dynamat the door panels, the rear deck and trunk have already been done. Should be an extremely clean install when complete.

I think the basslink T is amazing btw. very clean install, no brakets, sits right behind the rear seats, takes up no space, and blends perfectly with factory head unit.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #17
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Taking out the rear shelf put some poly fill in it while you're in there. I think dynamat may be overkill with this system. But do get speaker baffles for all 4. You can get them on crutchfield.
98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #18
Askspot

I would dynomat the doors. I think when you have even less mid bass to work with you want to make sure you're not hindering any that is there. I dynomated the metal on the doors. Then I took about 2 hours and I actually dynomated the inner skin of the plastic door cover. It is a huge improvement with rattles from the bass. I have no rattle from the bass in the doors now since I dynomated the actual inside of the door panel.

Good luck with your project. Don't get frustrated when you're trying to run the speaker wire through the side of the mutiplex connector that attaches all of the door wiring to the inside cabin. I know you'll have fun doing that

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol View Post
Taking out the rear shelf put some poly fill in it while you're in there. I think dynamat may be overkill with this system. But do get speaker baffles for all 4. You can get them on crutchfield.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #19
Askspot

I wouldn't get baffles for them. They dull the snap of the mid bass in the car. Take a 6"x6" dynomat and put it on the out door skin behind where your speaker mounts. I had depth problems with the speakers so you will too and adding a baffle decreases volume and the ability for the speaker to breath and cool. I wouldn't put one in.......IMHO.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #20
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Wiring through the door is fun. Just did my friends. Nothing better than one of those flexi grabber tools.
98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

Tags
alpine, audio, aura, speakers