SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-27-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
indiana324
indiana324 is on a distinguished road

Default Sl1 95 burnt black wire to ignition

I own a 1995 Saturn sl1 and one of the wires leading to the ignition switch is burnt, the insulation is almost gone...the car still runs ok but i fear there could be a fire and its my 17 year olds car...any idea what can be done with this?? i have the dash all apart but im not sure how far i can trace it and where to go from here...we were going to have an alarm put in but the shop pointed out the wire and stopped thier work..maybe they are the ones who caused the problem but i dont know for sure..any advice would be awsome...its a blck wire ..and i traced it from the ignition to the main wire harness...thanks to anyone who may be able to help me out!!
indiana324 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2008, 02:25 AM   #2
red92xblue
red92xblue is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2001 SC2
Default Re: Sl1 95 burnt black wire to ignition

This is what happen to me awhile back and this is what I posted months ago. " I found the connector where black wire(it"s a ground wire) from the ignition switch goes to. Its under the dash top left fwd corner. I will run a new wire to the connector with an added inline fuse to prevent this destruction from happening again. This switch(Lucas brand) shorts to Power to ground when it goes bad. I think all Sl2 owners should fuse this ground wire because this seems to be a common issue for our cars. A Google search shows many smoked dash problems and and even fires have occurred." hope it helps you.
red92xblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member
wishihadacamaro is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

I think I might add an inline fuse also. Because once I smelled a burning smell that smelled alot like wire insulation. Wouldn't fusing the ground wire be a bad idea though? Generally you want the ground to be grounded all the time. I think it would be best to fuse the positive wire which ends up shorting to the ground.
wishihadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
TomM96
Master Member
TomM96 has a spectacular aura aboutTomM96 has a spectacular aura about

It doesn't hurt to renew the ignition switch , maybe every 150kMi or so- unless they are known to be overbuilt , or activate only relays. Switch contacts 'wear' out over time -- each occasion they are turned on/off a small arc tends to erode the contacts. After a while , resistance develops within the connection , which is dissipated as heat. The wires 'sink' the heat , which increases their resistance ... the wires tend to loosen in their connector's crimp . etc ... etc.
So you might consider a new switch , and a new wire lead/connector to/at the switch. (Just a thought ).
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The ignition switch is made by Lucas Electric. This a British manufacturer of electrical components. The corporate motto is "King of the Road" and people with hands on experience have added the following ", Prince of Darkness". Based on years of experience with their products I would toss the original at 100K and go aftermarket, even Chinese will be better.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
red92xblue
red92xblue is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2001 SC2

A new switch ? Of course. Fusing the ground side sounds stupid at first , all your positive wires are fused. The problem is that small black wire it will get red hot melting everything near its path before fuses start to let go. I had another near catastrophe/fire a few months ago the r/s window motor wires inside the door got caught in the window regulator and shorten to ground. It smoked the harness starting at the door, under the carpet/Seat up the center console all the way to the fuse panel. It turns out there was a 20 amp fuse in a 10 amp socket. That mess took me hours to repair. But I still like the car and its simplicity. I am now working on a 2000 s500 air suspension anyone here good with M. Benz?
red92xblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
rpnovo
rpnovo is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I have a burnt black wire on the ignition switch on my '95 SL2. How hard is it to trace the black wire and replace it. I already bought a new ignition switch and I'm afraid to run the car without replacing the burnt wire. I traced the wire part way until it went into the main wiring bundle. Any help would be appreciated.
rpnovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That wire is a ground for the key in ignition Chime only and can be cut and forgotten about. Tracing it all the way back to the I/P Ground pack that is above the radio is a painful job. In most but not all cases the wire cooks but the others in the loom survive with minor damage and do not short out to each other. Check the condition of the other wires in the pigtail to the switch and see if they are actually damaged and report back what you find.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
rpnovo

1995 SL2

OldNuc, thanks for the info! The other wires have a few discolored spots but none are burned thru the insulation that I can tell.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Just cut the fried black wire off at the switch and don't leave any bare ends as it can be periodically powered by a defective switch. You do want to replace your ignition switch though as that is why it burned up.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
rpnovo

1995 SL2

I clipped off the burnt wire near the switch connector and installed a new ignition switch.Everything is working ok except for my sore back from laying under the dash.LOL!! Thanks for the help!
Old 11-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

This is a common failure and can be a very involved repair depending on how the failure occurred. Sometimes there are several fried wires that have to be replaced.