SkyDriver
SkyDriver is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Sky Red Line Surpasses Expectations

My wife and I went to see the roll out of the new 2006 Saturn Sky at their
road show stop at Saturn of Bowie in November 2005. Sensual energy defines
the sculpted lines of this two-seat roadster convertible. We saw a $250,000
hand-built Sky that had to be started using a jumper cable. The trunk
remained shut and filled with Styrofoam since the details on the soft top
roof had not yet been worked out on the road show model. Since we loved the look and feel of this car that looks like no other on the road, I placed a
deposit with a targeted delivery date for Spring 2006.

After the rumor was confirmed, I said that I would rather wait a little
longer for the high performance variant to roll out. I picked my Saturn Sky
Red Line on September 11, 2006, a full 10 months after we saw that hand-built Sky at the roadshow. I was the first to take delivery of a Red Line at Saturn of Bowie. Black exterior, black and tan leather interior, tan soft top, all options minus the spolier. The color selection was my wife’s doing, and I am thankful for her direction. OnStar and XM radio come with the car as does a 6-CD changer.

The Red Line is a very different animal from the original 177 horespowered
rollout version. I know because I test drove both the 5-speed and automatic
versions of the original Sky, and was quite pleased with each transmission
set up. I am ecstatic with rear wheel drive. The Red Line's pick up, performance, speed, and handling are superb. The Red Line edition is truly a
high performance vehicle with a 260 horsepower engine and an upgraded
suspension system for serious get up and go driving. In normal drive mode,
this car is a tamed animal. In competitive mode, the car's vigor is unleashed. And, frankly, the Red Line car far exceeded my expectations since my last recollections were of test driving different models of the original Sky.

With the Red Line, what you see is what you get. It is a true sports car that
drives like an arrow. It flies straight and it flies fast. Coming out of the
gate is stunning. No back aches from being jolted back into the seats. You
need the new Corvette for that experience. The car hugs and controls the road it is on and beautifully handles turns and ramps with an exhilaration that I thought was restricted to gaming.

The Red Line is a great high performance car for the money, not to mention a
great value as well when an additional $15,000 will buy a competitive car in
the same performance league, but with higher maintainance costs. That said,
the Sky's enduring value will ultimately rest on the quality of the overall
car over time. General Motors bet on me buying the car, and I bet on better
overall technology built into the vehicle to stand the test of time of
serious driving. We both made a bet, and I suspect the outcome will be
win-win.

The Sky was designed to evoke awe and truly has the wow feature built into
the vehicle. I foresee this car becoming the next best selling roadster given
the responses I have experienced in just one week. The day after I took
delivery, I took a cell call in front of Roy Rogers. A young boy came almost
running out of the front door with his mother restraing him. “M-o-m! Look at
that c-o-o-l car!” I turned to see the boy. His eyes were wide open. Just
like mine when I first saw the car at the road show. Kids in the community
where we live shout out and run alongside in awe as I drive up the street.
One older woman rolled down her window and said, "That car's a chick
magnet!" She's right. The prior weekend a woman at an event I attended was mesmerized by the car's scultped lines and exposed brakes seen through the polished mags. Men and women make detours when walking to ask questions about the car regardless if I am at a Starbucks, a gas station, in Annapolis near the city dock, or at a grocery store. Last weekend, a guy in a convertible Benz would not take his eye off of my car while we were at a light. No wonder. When asked why not buy a resale convertible Benz for the same price, I replied that I did not want something that looked passe. Moreover, I owned a Benz, and was relieved to get rid of it and the over priced maintainance costs. Anyway, I was not expecting any of the attention the Sky draws.

What the Sky lacks in glove and trunk space, it makes up for with cleverly
tucked away pockets for road maps. There are four map pockets, two per seat. I had written the trunk space off as useless. But, I was able to get three bags of groceries into the trunk with the top down, and another bag behind the passenger seat when pulled forward. I picked up a folding grocery carrier from AAA, and it sits tight behind the driver's seat for when we grocery shop.

But, this car is really about top down driving with great performance in good
weather and this quite satisfied driver's elation. With the top down or up,
this car is realy designed for fun road trips. It is nice to be ahead on the
curve.
SkyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
irish_loveAWD
irish_loveAWD is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Sky Red Line Surpasses Expectations

Nice...thanks.
Mike
02 VUE AWD V6
93 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
irish_loveAWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Either you're the kid that me and the other homeschoolers beat up for not being cool, or you're a tool. Sounds like stupid product placement.
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
SaturnPlanet
SaturnPlanet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX712517
Either you're the kid that me and the other homeschoolers beat up for not being cool, or you're a tool. Sounds like stupid product placement.

lol...homeschoolers are cool?
SaturnPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

I was giving him a burn by insinuating that even homeschool gangs are cooler than he is.... But he private-messaged me saying he's a journalist, so I guess this is just practice for him.
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX712517
I was giving him a burn by insinuating that even homeschool gangs are cooler than he is.... But he private-messaged me saying he's a journalist, so I guess this is just practice for him.
Journalist = tool? Say it isn't so!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:06 AM   #7
SkyDriver
SkyDriver is on a distinguished road

I am a mortgage lender for a nationwide company by day, an MBA student by night, and I have a BA in journalism. I am not a journalist. I just know how to write and pick a winning car when I see one.

The Sky Red Line is nothing like a Mazda Miata. Think Porsche Boxster, Mercedes-Benz SLK, BMW Z4, Audi TT, or Nissan 350Z and we are in the same performance league when it comes to convertible roadsters. If you want the trunk space, get a Boxster. If you want a powered roof, get a Benz or Audi. If you want a couple more speakers, as I recall, do the BMW. And, if you want just a few more horsepower, do the Nissan. The cost difference between the Sky Red Line and the others, however, is significant. See Edmunds.com since it's all there.

In an age where (1) parts are interchangeable, like shared parts between a Bentley and a Volkswagon, (2) we have a weak US dollar, and (3) we impose protective trade tarrifs on imports, it only stands to reason that a car designed in Europe and made in the USA is a great value.

GM's challenge will be whether or not they are capable of unseating the Miata as the best selling convertible of all time. The question will be around production output that goes beyond two Skys per dealer per month, quality, price points, and consumer demand. Right now, there is gross imbalance between supply and demand. It's as if the communists are running GM and folks are standing in bread lines. Two year wait for a Red Line in Saturn of Bowie. That means, you need to work the phones to find one if you are in the market. But, my bet is that GM has no choice but to try by using better technology and design. I was suprised to see the lines on the new Camaro that is coming out and the power under the hood. I think GM is going in the right direction.
SkyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:26 AM   #8
Tallboy
Tallboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDriver
I am a mortgage lender for a nationwide company by day, an MBA student by night, and I have a BA in journalism. I am not a journalist. I just know how to write and pick a winning car when I see one.

The Sky Red Line is nothing like a Mazda Miata. Think Porsche Boxster, Mercedes-Benz SLK, BMW Z4, Audi TT, or Nissan 350Z and we are in the same performance league when it comes to convertible roadsters. If you want the trunk space, get a Boxster. If you want a powered roof, get a Benz or Audi. If you want a couple more speakers, as I recall, do the BMW. And, if you want just a few more horsepower, do the Nissan. The cost difference between the Sky Red Line and the others, however, is significant. See Edmunds.com since it's all there.

In an age where (1) parts are interchangeable, like shared parts between a Bentley and a Volkswagon, (2) we have a weak US dollar, and (3) we impose protective trade tarrifs on imports, it only stands to reason that a car designed in Europe and made in the USA is a great value.

GM's challenge will be whether or not they are capable of unseating the Miata as the best selling convertible of all time. The question will be around production output that goes beyond two Skys per dealer per month, quality, price points, and consumer demand. Right now, there is gross imbalance between supply and demand. It's as if the communists are running GM and folks are standing in bread lines. Two year wait for a Red Line in Saturn of Bowie. That means, you need to work the phones to find one if you are in the market. But, my bet is that GM has no choice but to try by using better technology and design. I was suprised to see the lines on the new Camaro that is coming out and the power under the hood. I think GM is going in the right direction.
Bravo! [raises glass...]
08 Aura XE 2.4
03 Mercury Marauder
Trilogy Supercharger #0054
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 11:28 PM   #9
prviet
prviet is on a distinguished road

The good memories of that time make me reminisce about that time. I don't know when I will have the opportunity to participate in this event again.
prviet is offline   Reply With Quote