SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
BIGlep
BIGlep is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 Saturn SC2 H/O Alternator

Hi so I am new to using forums and this is my first car. I am looking to a fairly extensive audio build and at the end of the day I should end up running approximately 1800 watts RMS which at 14.4 volts comes out to 125 amps. I know that my saturn has a Delco CS-121 alternator based on what I have read and that it is around 90 amps. I am interested into what "style" of CS-130 alternator is needed to fit and also what kind of fab work will be necessary.

Based on this thread (can't post link, google "sc2 uprgaded alt 2002" third one down) it seems that excluding the cable it should all hook right up except that I might(??) need a custom bracket(??!!!)

The reason I ask what type is because I don't plan to get the older S series alternator, but a H/O one from DC power. They don't know my car though so I need to know what style of case is needed to fit. I would also be interested in if a CS-144 alternator can fit. Thanks.
BIGlep is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
BIGlep

Default Re: 2001 Saturn SC2 H/O Alternator

anybody got ideas
Old 01-25-2014, 03:09 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The better "Iceberg" alternator bolts on '91-'02 S-Series, '97.5-'02 just needs an adapter or splicing to the older style plug.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
BIGlep

Thanks that's what I thought. What about the weird rear flange or something, I heard that the iceberg doesn't have the special flange that our alternators have.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

That is correct, but you can fairly easily rig something up
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You can buy custom built CS131 alternators built with the correct end housings. If you do not have the correct end housings you will get flex in the mounting and drive belt problems. All the custom alternator shops can build you one. Look for an Automotive Electric in your area.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Adapter plug, I believe it's the right one (none of my stored alternators have the new style plug): http://store.alternatorparts.com/partnod1w1206.aspx

Upgrade kit for CS130's: http://store.alternatorparts.com/cs1...rade-kits.aspx

Saturn appears to have used the CS130 '91-'97.5, but instead of using that style mounting they used the CS130D style mounts.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The end bell are unique to Saturn and they are available for any of the 130 series alternators.

The CS130D is not unique to Saturn.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
BIGlep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmasher View Post
That is correct, but you can fairly easily rig something up
What is entailed in making one. I do have access to some basic tools like and angle grinder and a drill press, is it just a little bar or is it complicated.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You can buy custom built CS131 alternators built with the correct end housings. If you do not have the correct end housings you will get flex in the mounting and drive belt problems. All the custom alternator shops can build you one. Look for an Automotive Electric in your area.
^^This.

I made a bracket *(and attempted to rebuild the alternator) and the thing blew up within 2 months.
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
BIGlep

So a custom bracket is out. Dang. So a custom alternator is my only choice that sucks. Do you think I could get the iceberg but use my rear housing and somehow just attach a heatsink?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Search for a member, Pioneer Saturn for his twin alternator set up for LOUD sound. He posted pics.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, audio, electrical, sc2