SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
prepsssuck07
prepsssuck07 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Radio-AMP Cuts out

When ever I turn stereo up I Loose power to stereo and amp power for a second.

Only have 2 kenwood 12" and a 600w amp w/Cap...Dont think that is that much to be pulling.

Have both amp and cap grounded twice to two different grounds

When I turn head unit up it causes power to cap and amp to loose power for a sec.

I have tried swapping a head unit in but does same thing with both decks

I have new Battery and replaced alternator

Have power for amp and cap wired with 100amp fuse to the connection at the main fuse box post under hood. Could that be my problem?

Just kinda stumped here...Any suggestions would be greatfull
prepsssuck07 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2
Default Re: Radio-AMP Cuts out

Could be a number of things.
  • Grounds.
  • Gains set too high.
  • Speaker wires shorting out.
  • Interconnect cables having a short in them.
  • Damaged speaker.
  • Damaged amplifier.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The best approach is to locate the problem before fixing at it.

Connect your trusty DVM set to DCV between the connection bolt at the UHJB and battery ground. Should read battery voltage. Start car, warm up and stick a small wedge in the throttle quadrant stop and the stop screw to hold the RPM at 1500 or so. Voltage should climb to 14.6 or so. Now while watching the analog bar graph on the DVM fiddle with the stereo. If the voltage takes a drop and the stereo quits you have found the physical location of the problem. If it does not drop but the stereo does move the test point and repeat. Next point is the stereo side of the fuse. Leave your ground at the battery until you get close and then move in on it. It is probably caused by the current surge when you change power (volume) of the stereo. What you have to find is the high resistance point or component that is dropping the voltage.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Offhand, there's at least one member (Pioneer_Saturn) that has his sound system wired and may be able to help you. Try e-mailing/pm'ing him for some info. He's currently finishing his project;http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130507.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
prepsssuck07

1999 SL2

Multimeter shows voltage is drop at the RADIO fuse in the fusebox in the car. I have used two decks and both having same issue. Rewired stereo and still same problems. I am getting to the point I want to throw it out the window and carry a boombox
Old 12-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

Just to let you know a 100amp fuse is way to big for a 600watt amp. Your amp will blow before that fuse blows. Also a cap is useless for your set up. I'd sell that cap off. I run 1000watts on a 2500watt sub fine without a cap and I run 2 gauge wiring, with a 80amp fuse.
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
prepsssuck07

1999 SL2

Got wiring and cap from sisters exboyfriend for free so Figured I would use it anyway. Im gonna take everything out and start from scratch to see if I can find a short somewhere. Not to worried about it, Its just anoying and getting at my pride that I cant get it right.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

What size wiring are you running? The cap is really just wasted space on your system.
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepsssuck07 View Post
Got wiring and cap from sisters exboyfriend for free so Figured I would use it anyway. Im gonna take everything out and start from scratch to see if I can find a short somewhere. Not to worried about it, Its just anoying and getting at my pride that I cant get it right.
Strip it down to the head unit and see if it is still pulling the radio fuse voltage down. The internal wiring of the I/P panel is not real robust and the entire thing is only powered from a 30 amp fuse in the UHJB. That 30 amps is delivered on a fairly light gauge wire to one terminal pin that is probably stressed at 20 amps. That may actually be your problem, the I/P internal wiring.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
prepsssuck07

1999 SL2

cranked with just deck is fine...when amp is on is when it occurs...so im gonna pull speakers and check connections there

Tags
audio