Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods

Old 01-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
hein
Advanced Member
hein will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1998 SW2
Default Transmission cooler install

I tow a jetski in the hot summer and I'm changing my transmission fluid right now so I'm adding a cooler and maybe even a filter. It's all going in series with lower line coming from the OE radiator cooler.

Here's the cooler I got from amazon. It's not bent; that's just the picture.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CEDYDO

The cooler fits perfectly on some factory supplied mounts that are on my 06 RL Vue. There are even some holes that work but I drilled some new holes a little lower to improve clearance with the fan shroud. Maybe the engineers had this cooler in mind but never offered it as an option.

I've also ordered a B&M remote filter kit and will install it if I can find a good spot.

http://www.amazon.com/80277-Universa.../dp/B000CIKJMY

I removed the bottom cooler line from the radiator and cut it. I will add flares to the cut ends and make up some proper crimped Flare/AN hoses for the connections. I won't be using those barb fittings supplied with the filter kit. I'll post up some more pictures as I go along.

Last edited by hein; 01-29-2010 at 04:07 PM.
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Transmission cooler install

Smart thinking, I like the idea of the oil cooler for towing purposes also the filter to try to keep metal particles out of the shift solenoids and pressure valves in the trani. good pics too
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Reston_RL
Reston_RL is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Very cool! Ha! Yes, pls post 1-2 more pics and details once complete. If you could note the source and PN#s or sizes of the fittings that would be very helpful.
2005 VUE RL AWD
2000 Honda Blackbird
Reston_RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Nice, me like. Would be nice for those long Summer drives to the SouthWest portion of the country. And the filter may extend the life of the tranny to boot. I used to install tranny coolers on those Isuze box trucks. If I can do those, I'm sure this would be a snap.
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I think the cooler is a good idea- no matter if you tow or just drive it like a grandma.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
BlownL36
BlownL36 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Very cool install. would the 02 v6 3.0l vue be the same?
2002 Vue 3.0L V6 AWD
2002 GTP-Ton of Mods!
2004 Cobra- Ton of Mods!
BlownL36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2
Default Re: Transmission cooler + Aux filter w/Tech question

Got the B&M filter mounted. It fits nicely up in front of the fender well. There is a large resistor (related to headlights?) bolted to the frame in that location so I moved that forward with a new self tapping screw. The trans filter adapter mounts with the former resistor bolt and two additional self tapping screws. The filter is easily accessible yet fairly well protected. I have the plumbing worked out on paper and will know if that fits up once I get all the fittings and hose. More to come on that.

Question: I am assuming that oil flows from top to bottom in the OE transmission cooler. Is that correct?

Last edited by hein; 02-03-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

Finished Found out that the return line comes out of the top of the radiator so my plumbing is:

Transmission - > Aux Cooler -> Aux Filter -> OE Cooler -> Transmission.

I'm OK with that. Some pictures.

Hoses and end fittings (arrow indicates direction of flow)

Reworked lower line from transmission connected to aux cooler

Aux cooler with hose to aux filter added

View from bottom showing OE radiator cooler connection.

Last edited by hein; 02-12-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

I'll go into more detail if anyone is interested. It took me a while to figure out the hoses but it brought back fond memories from when I designed hydraulic systems for CASE skid steers.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
Reston_RL
Reston_RL is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Where did the flex lines come from? They don't look homemade. I'll certainly be adding this to my list of mods to do (if the snow in DC ever melts) Everything I've done so far has been engine performance oriented. Thanks for the fitting info. I can appreciate how time/trouble saving it is.
2005 VUE RL AWD
2000 Honda Blackbird
Reston_RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

I picked up the hose & fittings at a Hydraulics supplier for around $40. Everything except the Weatherhead long drop 90 which I got at Napa. (the one near me has hydraulic stuff) Anyone who sells the ends should be able to cut the R16 hose and crimp them on for you. Just print out this image and take it along.

Important: You will need a flare tool (and some skill using it) to flare the OE lower transmission line and the long drop 90. Compression fittings/adapters could be used. Or hose barbs but then you are on your own. LOL.

Besides the hose assemblies, you will also need:

(1) 318-06 3/8 JIC sleeve for 3/8 tube
(1) 319-06 3/8 JIC Nut for 3/8 tube
(1) 6500 BT-06-06 3/8 male JIC to 3/8 Fem JIC 90 deg tube elbow

I prefer the bent tube 90 over a regular swivel 90 because they flow better. My primary goal for using the JIC fittings was to keep pressure losses low and prevent turbulence. The hose/fittings I used are overkill from a pressure standpoint.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
joemaniaci
joemaniaci is on a distinguished road

Im very interested since I am going to get a trailer soon.

Do you think you can post somewhere a final parts list with costs and part numbers?
joemaniaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #13
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

It's all pretty much there in the posts and pictures above. DiscountHydraulicHose.com has all the hose and fittings except the long drop. I need to check the Weatherhead part number on that one. DiscountHydraulicHose can probably do the hose assemblies if you give them the length. (just email the picture)

You will have to order the exact same cooler and filter kit that I posted above. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about the plumbing once you have those on hand.

Some notes:

First off make sure everything stays very very clean during the installation. Use a tubing cutter (not a hack saw) and carefully wash out the ends of any tubes that are cut. Also wash and blow out the hoses & fittings and then cap the hose ends while installing them. I changed my transmission fluid with this install and will do two more in the coming weeks. It's been 30K so it's due.

Mounting the remote filter adapter was a bit tough. The hoses were already attached to it. Removing the fender liner ended up being the only way to get to the mounting screws. Completely pre-fill the filter with Z-1.

The hoses are routed over the frame through a gap next to the radiator. There is plenty of room but there is an edge that needs to be protected with some edge guard to keep the hoses from being cut.

Another tough part was re-flaring the lower line coming from the transmission. If the tube is cut to short then there is not enough room for the JIC sleeve and nut plus the flare tool. Plan ahead on that.

Grinding the flare off and then re-flaring the long hose end which connects to the radiator was also tricky. Again with no length to spare. All because Saturn decided to use a funky long flare nut (with about 1/2 inch of the thread cut off ) for the the radiator connections. Everyone I showed it to said, "hey that's stripped", -but it wasn't.

I took the Redline out for a spin and put it through the paces. Topped of the transmission fluid. Remote filter felt nice and warm. No leaks!

Last edited by hein; 02-13-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

Got some quotes for the hoses:

Advanced Hydraulic Supply (Portland, OR) Contact Tyler S.

H24506-06U-J08-686 @ 29" OAL - $24.25
H24506-06U-J08-466 @ 23" OAL - $22.50

Discount Hydraulic Hose (Philadelphia, PA) Contact: Rick B.

R16-06 FJX45-06-06 MPX-06-08 29 INCHES - $23.83
R16-06 FJX90L-06-06 MPX-06-08 23 INCHES - $26.17

You will still need to rework the long drop end to remove the flare, put on the OE flare nut and reflare.

Along with the hose you will need the following fittings:

(1) 6500 BT-06-06 3/8 JIC swivel tube 90
(1) 318-06 3/8 JIC nut
(1) 319-06 3/8 JIC sleeve

The nut and sleeve are needed to rework the existing the lower OE trans cooler line which is cut.

And the cooler and trans filter kits:

Flex-a-lite 4109 cooler: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CEDYDO
B&M 80277 filter kit: http://www.amazon.com/80277-Universa.../dp/B000CIKJMY
Old 02-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

I would instead use this style cooler:
http://www.amazon.com/70268-SuperCoo...6349716&sr=1-2

the stacked plates design is much more efficient and the orifice valve won't allow ATF in unless the temp calls for it. Might be harder to install on the Vue due to the shape, but it is a much much better product.
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #16
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
I would instead use this style cooler:
http://www.amazon.com/70268-SuperCoo...6349716&sr=1-2

the stacked plates design is much more efficient and the orifice valve won't allow ATF in unless the temp calls for it. Might be harder to install on the Vue due to the shape, but it is a much much better product.
That sure looks like a bigger and more efficient cooler. You could use that in the Vue but then none of the trick plumbing I worked out would work.

I think the Flex-a-lite 4109 cooler will be sufficient for towing a jetski, an S-series on a tow dolly, or a small rented box trailer. I've been doing that already but know it's not so good on the Vue's Honda transmission.

Even though the cooler is small, I like the fact that it does not dump heat back into the radiator/engine compartment like a sandwich mount. The filter acts like a cooler as well so in combination that should be plenty.

Having a filter on there is also quite comforting considering the debris I've cleaned off the magnetic drain plug.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #17
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein View Post
That sure looks like a bigger and more efficient cooler. You could use that in the Vue but then none of the trick plumbing I worked out would work.

I think the Flex-a-lite 4109 cooler will be sufficient for towing a jetski, an S-series on a tow dolly, or a small rented box trailer. I've been doing that already but know it's not so good on the Vue's Honda transmission.

Even though the cooler is small, I like the fact that it does not dump heat back into the radiator/engine compartment like a sandwich mount. The filter acts like a cooler as well so in combination that should be plenty.

Having a filter on there is also quite comforting considering the debris I've cleaned off the magnetic drain plug.
yes, the filter is a great idea. The plumbing is actually much easier with the cooler I showed. It takes the same size hose commonly used in cars. All you need is a metal band to secure the seal and a coupler if you need extra hose.
Just a couple of bucks worth of brass from the local hardware store. I'd never spend all the money in the complicated plumbing you guys posted above. I just like to cut the lines whenever is convenient and just run extra hose if needed.
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:17 AM   #18
strikers
strikers is on a distinguished road

I installed my cooler after the OE cooler. Because the OE cooler is not as sufficient at cooling the trans fluid as the aftermarket cooler is. So you want the fluid going through the aftermarket cooler last.

The fluid could potentially heat up going back into the OE cooler where hot radiator water runs through.
strikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #19
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by hein View Post
I tow a jetski in the hot summer and I'm changing my transmission fluid right now so I'm adding a cooler and maybe even a filter. It's all going in series with lower line coming from the OE radiator cooler.

Here's the cooler I got from amazon. It's not bent; that's just the picture.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CEDYDO

The cooler fits perfectly on some factory supplied mounts that are on my 06 RL Vue. There are even some holes that work but I drilled some new holes a little lower to improve clearance with the fan shroud. Maybe the engineers had this cooler in mind but never offered it as an option.

I've also ordered a B&M remote filter kit and will install it if I can find a good spot.

http://www.amazon.com/80277-Universa.../dp/B000CIKJMY

I removed the bottom cooler line from the radiator and cut it. I will add flares to the cut ends and make up some proper crimped Flare/AN hoses for the connections. I won't be using those barb fittings supplied with the filter kit. I'll post up some more pictures as I go along.
So if I were to be doing just a simple cooler only install, would I need anything not contained in the kit? I was thinking I might just get a little bit of extra tubing and use the OEM tubing as the output of the cooler, and then use a little extra bit as the input of the aux cooler.
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #20
hein
Advanced Member

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

I think you can just take off the lower OE hose which has a 90 tube end. Then cut off the flare, put on a JIC nut & sleeve and re-flare it (single is enough). Then connect that to the aux cooler. Then run a hose like this from the cooler back to the lower OE connection on the radiator:

Don't know how long it would need to be plus you would have to make sure the ends are rotated right in relation to each other before crimping them. It would be better to have straight hose end and a separate swivel 45 elbow at the aux cooler.

Honestly though, I considered adding only the cooler but really glad I went for the filter too.

Last edited by hein; 03-07-2010 at 11:45 PM.