sicksat
sicksat is on a distinguished road

Default Dog-Bone Motor Mounts ?

wat do these really do for your engine
sicksat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Dog-Bone Motor Mounts ?

The official name is something like "torque strut", and they check the twisting of the powertrain in the compartment. They don't actually support any of the powertrain's weight. When the rubber inserts wear, you can actually see the movement in the mount when you rev up the engine.

I've heard that the Twistec mounts can collapse ("Squishtec?"). If you're looking for something stiffer than OEM, you can (if you don't already have them) get the "third edition" mounts (from '99 and later cars), even if they're worn out, and push out the OEM inserts and replace them with Prothane urethane inserts. The effect is, supposedly, better power transfer to the wheels and reduced wheel hop, but you'll probably detect more vibration, esp. at idle, in the cabin. I did this just because it was cheaper to get otherwise-shot '99 dogbones and Prothanes than to get brand new mounts.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
sicksat
sicksat is on a distinguished road

so its nothing really special if it adds vibration while idle and stuff then..
sicksat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
dragon370
dragon370 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

what i have heard is that esentially they keep the drivetrain from "thrashing around" so much. this is what someone else said to me. some of the motor's horsepower, torque, etc is robbed because the drivetrain is not held tightly in place and some of the power is transferred into the "movement" of the drivetrain, resulting in less power to the wheels. the amount of power is probably not even enough to notice, but every little bit helps i guess...

i plan to get a set from saturnmotorsports.com
Brendan
1997 SC1- "Stacy" dk green, 5spd, Motegi, Kuhmo tires

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions, the Saturn will do as it damn well pleases.
dragon370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksat View Post
so its nothing really special if it adds vibration while idle and stuff then..
ok don't listen to anything madprogue says. hes not real anyways

if u have an auto i don't suggest them cuz they will give you way too much vibration.

if u have a manual then u will have to take off from a stop with a little more revs to keep from feeling like u ran over a rumble strip on the highway. but it also seems like u can leave at lower revs without stalling, at the cost of feeling like u ran over a rumble strip on the highway. if u leave from a stop at say 1750-2k rpm then u wont notice any added vibrations (at least i don't)

they put more power to ground. if u rev the engine while looking at it u will see much less rotation from the engine, showing u that they work. they improve acceleration and throttle response, more than u think they would too, im very impressed with mine (i got the old twistec ones)

and yes deagon i notice a big difference on a mostly stock engine... hell my car has 178k miles, id be surprised if i even have it back to the stock numbers with my mods lol

theres a couple different ones u can go with and they all will perform about the same...

----------------------------

old twistecs sold by http://www.streetrix.com/SaturnParts.html

pros- yes that is $41 shipped for both!, aluminum, light, look great!

cons- some have said they tend to ovalize.

lane (evil plastic) has had his on his race car since 2/2003 and hasn't had any problems with them.
http://www.evilplastic.com/92mod4.htm#twistec

------------------------------

saturn motorsports, http://www.saturnmotorsports.com/ click online store, and then on the drop down click drive train parts, ull see them when u scroll down a little

pros- look great!, steel (so they don't ovalize)

cons- steel (and not aluminum), $130 + tax + shipping!!!!

-------------------------------

prothane motion control inserts,
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

pros- $25.69 + handling but no shipping, use stock 3rd gen mounts.

cons- use stock 3rd gen mounts (no 3rd gens at my local junk yard), can end up costing more than twistec after buying 3rd gen mounts, don't look as good
3x CFR SCCA autocross champion with a 95 SL2 & 98 SC2

Currently own a 02 L200 with no plans to mod.

Last edited by xupthree60; 12-28-2006 at 04:47 PM.
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
dragon370
dragon370 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

okay so i dont have personal experience with them yet i was just guessing as you said you have used them and say more differance then you would think well thats the case i dont have persoanl experience so i was just guessing on the most likely effect not saying it as fact so relax
Brendan
1997 SC1- "Stacy" dk green, 5spd, Motegi, Kuhmo tires

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions, the Saturn will do as it damn well pleases.
dragon370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
xupthree60
Master Member

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
The official name is something like "torque strut", and they check the twisting of the powertrain in the compartment. They don't actually support any of the powertrain's weight. When the rubber inserts wear, you can actually see the movement in the mount when you rev up the engine.

I've heard that the Twistec mounts can collapse ("Squishtec?"). If you're looking for something stiffer than OEM, you can (if you don't already have them) get the "third edition" mounts (from '99 and later cars), even if they're worn out, and push out the OEM inserts and replace them with Prothane urethane inserts. The effect is, supposedly, better power transfer to the wheels and reduced wheel hop, but you'll probably detect more vibration, esp. at idle, in the cabin. I did this just because it was cheaper to get otherwise-shot '99 dogbones and Prothanes than to get brand new mounts.

ahhhhh im sorry!!!!!!!! u know what ur talking about, and ur a cool guy!!!!!!!

i thought u were madpowa for some reason lol im sorry man

i was like wth is he giving people advice for lol

my bad i just woke up

Old 12-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
xupthree60
Master Member

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon370 View Post
okay so i dont have personal experience with them yet i was just guessing as you said you have used them and say more differance then you would think well thats the case i dont have persoanl experience so i was just guessing on the most likely effect not saying it as fact so relax
its cool it wasn't a shot at u or anything i was just telling u that they do help out a lot. like i said improved throttle response is the big thing but they also help acceleration. i imagine u would notice it more with forced induction whether it be nitrous or boost.