Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
agoldslsaturn
agoldslsaturn is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1995 SL2
Default Dealership or ???

Hi Guys,

I need to have my brakes, pcv valve, oil and transmission fluid change, and have a tuneup. I bought the stuff to do it myself, but my dad just has not made enough time to help me. I have to go on a trip this weekend and I needed everything done.

My question is, should I take my car to the dealership? What would it cost to do the above things? Parts will be quality I assume?

Or should I take it to another mechanic? Cost? What about the parts?
agoldslsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Dealership or ???

For brakes, what exactly are you doing an inspection or replacing it all? Pads and rotors, go aftermarket, drums and shoes, I'mnot sure. The dealer should give you the option of OEM or the cheaper aftermarket. PCV, Trans. fluid and filter, plugs and wires, go dealer only HWere to get it done is up to you. I find the dealers will charge a little more, but you get better service, and they will stand behind their work better. (Typically, not always true, I know, but it usually is this way) I wouldn't take it to another mechanic unless you know them, or someone you trust has recommended them emphatically.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Not to be smart, but the dealer will charge you $400 in labor to do the above mentioned work. You can do all brakes, rotors, oil changes, plugs, ect in less than an afternoon. If you don't have the time to do it yourself, park the car and rent one for a few days. Rental will be about $150 for 3 days, so you save $250, and also you learn a little about fixing cars to boot.
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
sven1
sven1 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

You could do the oil and transmission service in an hour, tops. Both are simple. Search on here for the simple instructions. The pcv is also simple. Don't have the dealer do those, because you will be getting ripped off (unless you are really uncomfortable doing them yourself). The brakes are a bit more involved and if you have never done them before, you may want to have someone else do them. As for who, I would personally go to a local mechanic you (or your dad) somewhat knows. They will be much cheaper and do as good (or better, in my experience) work. Just one humble opinion.
sven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

Thanks Uzzy. I need an inspection on the brakes and possible new pads

Allen- I am not worried about the cost. I have a passanger whom her life depends on my cars safety and stability, I would rather pay the $400+ to have her life taken care of . Plus I cant rent the car because it would be $75 per day, because of the added $25 under 24 driver.

Its not that I dont have the time to do it myself, I dont have the tools, and I am not exactly that knowledgeable when it comes to cars. My dad promised me we would do the MMO soak, and everything else this weekend. Since he did not, I really have no choice.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

Thanks Sven,

Once again, I dont have the tools, and my dad is refusing to help. We got in a huge fight and he is just being lazy, ITs really pissing me off, because its not right what he is doing.

What about the local shop that does brakes only? Would they be suitable?

What exactly would brakes alone cost at the dealership? Replacing the front pads and inspecting the rest of the brake system? This would include a bleeding?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
sven1
sven1 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'd call around and get prices, including the dealership. They make an informed decision. You can haggle a little with some of the local shops.
sven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #8
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoldslsaturn
Once again, I dont have the tools, and my dad is refusing to help.
For less than the cost of having someone else do the work, you could buy the tools you need. All you need is:

-A small floor jack and jack stands (you can usually find these as a set a most auto parts stores).

-Small socket set (The majority of the work on a Saturn can be done with 7, 8, 10, 13, 14, 15, 18, and 19mm sockets.

-A "C" clamp to compress the piston on the brake caliper.

Then once you have these tools, you'll never have to rely on anyone again. Especially the lazy mofo who was supposed to help you.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

Okay, okay okay.

I do not think I would be qualified enough nor do I think I am comfortable enough to do my own brake job. So I think I will go ahead and leave that to the professionals.

Where is a how to on the transmission fluid, and oil? Since I am doing that, should I do my radiator fluid too? Where is the drain plug?

Im going to get my chilton manual tonight, but id like to read before i leave work....

I wont get home until 6pm, it starts to get dark around 7, I know oil is best to do while hot as it will run right out. Could I knock out the oil/tranny/radiator tonight?

Spark plugs, do they need to be changed in the dark or daylight? How do I change them?

PCV valve, what is method of removal? I am afraid to pull it because it seems like I would break it....I can do that in dark right? (I have a spot light so that wouldnt be an issue.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #10
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Where is your locations anyway. Maybe someone local would be willing to help you out.

The spark plugs and pcv can be done in a few minutes with a flash light. Just do one plug at a time and make sure they're snug in there. Do not over tighten, but make sure they're not too loose as well. As for the PCV valve, just pull it out. Wiggling it while you pull helps a bit.

Oil plug is on the bottom rear of the oil pan, cant miss is. The oil filter is on the back of the block above the passengerside axle and under the alternator.

The tranny drain plug is on the bottom of the tranny, roughly the same distance back as the oil drain plug, just on the opposite side of the car. If you have a manual, there is no filter, if you have an auto, it has a screw on filter. Similar to an oil filter. Its below the air box on the drivers side of the car on the front of the tranny. Refill with new fluid through the dipstick tube.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:13 PM   #11
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

Boca Raton Floridais where i live.

I got my filters, I know where they go, I need to stop and get a new tranny one though because the other one grew legs and walked away....

Plugs just unscrew? or do I need a socket or something? How do I gap them?

Im reading wolfmans auto tranny change, you are supposed to refill to the level on dipstick? I cant check the level a day before I change it but I can check it before I change it. Will that make a difference?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #12
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

You can do the oil, tranny sevice, PCV, and plugs/wires on your own no problem. The coolant flush is not very difficult, but I've been working on cars for years, and I still don't don't like doing brake jobs on even my own cars. You need them inspected first to see what they need, go somewhere to get it checked out.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #13
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member
DeCaff2006 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

The plugs should be pre - gapped if you get OEM. You need a certan socket for that. I believe it's a 13mm deepsocket. It will have a rubber grommet inside of it.

Yes, they just unscrew. I would reccomment labeling all the wires first, just in case. BTW, pull the wires off from the BOOT, not the wire itself.
DeCaff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #14
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

Yeah Uzzy, I dont feel comfortable doing the brakes, its just not something I am safe with. Ive got precious cargo and brakes are the most important thing on my car.

Ok, I think I have got the tranny and oil change down per how to direction. I am reading autozones on changing the plugs, appears good to me.

I guess I need to get a gapper, a spark plug socket and some other sockets.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:29 PM   #15
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

oem is dealership?

ok i am screwed. Dealership is closed and i cant get tranny filter from them nor pcv valve today
Old 03-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #16
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

OEM (original equipment maufacturer) aka the dealer. You don't really need a "gapper" aka feeler(sp?) gague. I have never checked the gap on a set of plugs in my life Yes you should to be precise but they are gapped at the factory, and should have a little card board boot to keep them that way, even if they don't I wouldn't worry. They're closed already? it's not even 5. Often parts is open 'till 6, and later certain nights, but different places are different.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #17
agoldslsaturn

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

Yeah, they are closed, close at 4. What kinda bs is that? LOL.

I am thinking of wating. My moms boyfriend should be able to help me out, just means my car will have to wait till sunday when I am over there...I just wont be able to make it to the dealership tonight, I can make it tomorrow possibly...but its going to be a hard stretch to get there in time. If I wait until this weekend I could pick up parts on friday afternoon when I am heading out and install them sunday.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #18
HJ92126
HJ92126 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCaff2006
The plugs should be pre - gapped if you get OEM. You need a certan socket for that. I believe it's a 13mm deepsocket. It will have a rubber grommet inside of it.

Yes, they just unscrew. I would reccomment labeling all the wires first, just in case. BTW, pull the wires off from the BOOT, not the wire itself.

Just to clarify/help spark plug socket is a 5/8"
2007 Outlook XE
2006 Grand Prix
HJ92126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:05 PM   #19
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

From what I've read you:
A.) Need brakes, PCV valve replacement, Tune up, Oil & Tranny fluids changed.
..........Who told you needed these things done?
B.) You have a passenger who depends on your car safety.
C.) You don't have enough money to have a garage do the work.
D.) You have no tools.
E.) Your Father won't help.

From what I've gathered, you really don't have alot of mechanical ingenuity.
My advice, if your not confident in doing yourself. Then Don't do it. Everything that you've mentioned that needs done is easy. But, myself and some others that have chimed in that say so, we only say so because we've done it dozens to hundreds of times.
If you really need this work done and your father is the only person that can help you. Then maybe you should pucker up and do a little ass kissing so he helps you. Otherwise get on the horn and start asking everyone you know that can give you a hand.
"Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant."
Token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #20
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

What he said^^^^

Everybody had to start from scratch (you're a little closer to that than most of us). You could probably do it all, but it is probably wise to get someone to show you how the first time around. Be sure to watch closely & ask questions (ALL mechanics love that) so you know what to do next time. Also, check your local papers for specials on brake jobs...around here you can find them for approx $89/front or rear axel.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote