SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 10-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
bone86daddy
bone86daddy is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Default dome light

so i was going to change my dome light and when i went to pop off the cover i popped out the entire thing and now i cant get it back up in there and stay in place. Can anyone help me out short of superglueing it to the header.
bone86daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: dome light

did you break the tabs? There should be 2 curled tabs on one end of the dome light. It's a pain to put back in, but that's usually not an issue because the tabs break anyway. Heck, last time I was at the junkyard, I just plain cut the dome light out of the headliner with a knife, cutting a square out of the headliner, so I could get at the whole thing while trying to remove it. Still broke the tabs with full access to both sides of the dome light... it's just a bad design (which, sadly, they used in all the s-series). I'm still deciding how I want to re-hang my wife's dome light (mine was replaced by a console). I've heard of people using velcro and others using zip ties.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Removal and installation is easier and far less likely to break the tabs if you remove the clear lens first. That way you can see the tabs and know how much to bend then so you dont break them.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
bone86daddy

2002 SC1

i did break one of the tabs that your talking about when i was trying to get the cover off. and it figures i find your website purde with all your diy guides after i made this post.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
did you break the tabs? There should be 2 curled tabs on one end of the dome light. It's a pain to put back in, but that's usually not an issue because the tabs break anyway. Heck, last time I was at the junkyard, I just plain cut the dome light out of the headliner with a knife, cutting a square out of the headliner, so I could get at the whole thing while trying to remove it. Still broke the tabs with full access to both sides of the dome light... it's just a bad design (which, sadly, they used in all the s-series). I'm still deciding how I want to re-hang my wife's dome light (mine was replaced by a console). I've heard of people using velcro and others using zip ties.
Cross piece and a couple of mini zip ties work well. You are right, its a disaster design.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

I'm thinking next time I'm at the junkyard, I'm just gonna hunt down a completely different dome light from a different car to make work. Anyone know how to take one out of an L-series? I glanced at one last time, didn't figure it out (didn't spend at lot of time at it, either).
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
coupster
coupster is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I tried velcro with no luck.

I drilled 2 holes in the side of the fixture on the side that had the broken tabs and inserted the ends of a u shaped piece of coathanger. Installation was to slide the coathanger u over the headliner and push the other end of the fixture up, so that the hook tabs grabbed the headliner. Hasn't fallen down yet.
coupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #8
bone86daddy

2002 SC1

while i had it off i took out the wiring and popped the lens cover off then took a wire tie, looped in up around where one of the tabs broke and its holding up fine
Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: dome light

Mine self-destructed when I replaced the headliner. I tried velcro too. Doesn't stick in Summer heat. Then I tried a tie wrap. It just cracked the plastic of the light base and it rattled like mad.

I ended up drilling holes through the base of the housing and then marked the metal piece above it (part of the sunroof) through the new holes.

I drilled the metal piece at the marks using a scrap piece of 1/4" steel plate behind it so I wouldn't accidentally drill through the roof.

Once suitably drilled, I used a pair of short pan head screws inserted from the top side of the metal panel downward and some nuts. Now the body of the light fastens to the metal piece using some more nuts.

Hasn't rattled or dropped out of place yet.

One of these years I'll put a panel of white LEDs in it so it doesn't get hot when it's on. Probably be brighter anyway.
DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #10
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

I think a new one is like $35 from saturn...I broke mine and just bought a new one....
2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

eBay is something like $8.00 or so for new old stock.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #12
t-daddy
t-daddy is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
eBay is something like $8.00 or so for new old stock.

Like they say.....Ebay. That's where I bought mine (2nd hand)
t-daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #13
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member
ajs_saturn will become famous soon enoughajs_saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
2001 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone86daddy View Post
Can anyone help me out short of superglueing it to the header.
supergluing to the header would melt the plastic in minutes

ebay man, the best thing ever
2001 SL1 5spd - DOHC swap and MS in the works
Bought 02/27/14

2000 SL 5spd
Bought 04/05/05
Sold 06/14/10
ajs_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote