SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
rockettjay
rockettjay is on a distinguished road

Default Thermostat Housing Bolts

So after trying to fix other problems I realized my engine was being overcooled. I was going to replaced the thermostat. I can't get the bolts off that hold the housing in place. I've broken two 10mm socket attachments, so I bought a high quality one and that one slips off. I've cut my knuckles up pretty badly trying remove them.
Anyone else have trouble getting these loose? any tips before I destroy them?
rockettjay is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Thermostat Housing Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockettjay View Post
So after trying to fix other problems I realized my engine was being overcooled. I was going to replaced the thermostat. I can't get the bolts off that hold the housing in place. I've broken two 10mm socket attachments, so I bought a high quality one and that one slips off. I've cut my knuckles up pretty badly trying remove them.
Anyone else have trouble getting these loose? any tips before I destroy them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrCSJpbDCiI
video by richpin
Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
rockettjay

I have not seen this video yet, but it doesn't help, thank you anyway.
(At least, I know how to use the cardboard thing now)

I just can't get the bolts lose :[

PS I <3 richpin
Old 04-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

You'll need one or more of:

SIX-point socket

Heat

PB B'Laster
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

I know I get that one confused, I am dyslexic.

Sometimes having the right tool makes all the difference. For me, it is worth it to spend a few dollars on some halfway decent tools. The torque for those bolts when you put them back is 22 ft lbs. I know mine came out pretty easy, but it could of been having the proper tool. I do have a nice rachet set from SAM's that costs about $60.00. I came with 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4" drive so I can choose the ratchet that will give me the appropriate leverage vs. clearance. For stubborn items I have a few breaker bars. They give you the extra leverage you may need to get things started. Lastly, you want the socket square on the bolt head. If things are tight or you can't get the proper angle with a conventional ratchet a flex head ratchet may work better. But a breaker bar's head flexes and it may give you the leverage you need to get those things started.

Not sure there is enough clearance to use one of these plus they may be overkill:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37150

This 3/8 inch one may do the job:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=breaker%20bar
Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Using a 6-point socket is the key.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
92SC2
Advanced Member
92SC2 is on a distinguished road

Snap On offers a reverse threaded socket that will remove rounded bolts and nuts if it comes down to it. I'm sure you can find a knockoff somewhere for cheaper if it comes down to that.
92SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
rockettjay

I'm done with damn knockoff tools. I'll spend the extra 5 bucks for decent equiptment. I'll check out these suggestions, thanks guys.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
rockettjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
Using a 6-point socket is the key.
In a tight area I'd prefer a 12-point socket.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Get some Craftsman tools. Soak the bolts with PB Blaster.

I just took the Thermostat off of my 91 SC Project Car on Sunday. When you put your socket onto the bolt, move the wrench towards the PASSENGER side of the car to get the bolt loose (Lefty Loosey). You have to put some into it to get it loose. Mine came loose after a few tries.

Spray the bolts down with PB Blaster and let the PB Blaster get into the grooves, they should come loose. Avoid WD-40; as it is oil based and will only make the bolts more slippery.

PB Blaster works some miracles.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
virnin
Advanced Member
virnin is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockettjay View Post
In a tight area I'd prefer a 12-point socket.
It's easier to round off the bolt or nut with a 12-pt than a 6-pt. Given that you can turn the socket 90 degrees on the breaker bar, there is no advantage to a 12-pt socket. My brother didn't believe either until I demonstrated on his brake caliper pins.
virnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #12
philavine
philavine is on a distinguished road

Ya, I just got thru taking off the radiator, water pump and thermostat. I decided to move the ac compressor first and that made access to the thermostat much easier. I found all the bolts to the engine block really tight, as if they used locktight, but didn't see any signs of it. Ended up nearly rounding off one of those bad boy 10 mm bolts on the water pump pulley, but liquid wrench and a propane torch to the bolt head eventually loosened it up. I can't believe they were torqued to 19 lbs only!
Phil
philavine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #13
rockettjay

Haha I didn't didn't even get a chance to round off bolts, they broke my damn sockets >:[

Ill grab some liquid wrench and give it a go. (Just more stuff to add to my collection)
Old 04-10-2008, 01:19 AM   #14
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Liquid Wrench "Lubricant" (blue can) is a good lubricant, but a lousy penetrant.

Liquid Wrench "Penetrant' (yellow can) is def. better, but still not as good as PB B'Laster.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

You tool snobs. I never use anything but cheap Harbor Freight sockets (the really cheap $8.00 color coded ones) on most of my jobs and I don't round bolts and I don't crack sockets. Somehow I think it's how you use the tools that counts more than the tools themselves.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #16
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
You tool snobs. I never use anything but cheap Harbor Freight sockets
I got 2 MPG more after I use a fully polished, personalized, Craftsman wrench to remove the oil plug for an oil change compared to when I used the Harbor Freight combination wrench. Tools do make a difference!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #17
92SC2
Advanced Member
92SC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
You tool snobs. I never use anything but cheap Harbor Freight sockets (the really cheap $8.00 color coded ones) on most of my jobs and I don't round bolts and I don't crack sockets. Somehow I think it's how you use the tools that counts more than the tools themselves.
Tool snob here. I like good tools, I despise Chinese made goods and avoid them as much as possible. I realize that not everyone wants to spend $$$ on tools so I recommended HF and the like to find similar tools cheaper.

I have a set of combination wrenches from Vato Zone under the brand name Great Neck. The box end of the 7mm wrench is out of spec and luckily the open end was close enough to work when removing the rear COP on my truck. I am willing to pay for precision instruments. Additionally I currently have in my possession a Snap On swivel head comfort grip ratchet. Use a ratchet for any length of time and it will make you want to throw rocks at your craftsman stuff. It made all the difference in the world when doing the engine swap in my Saturn.

EDIT: When Dave takes it back I'll probably buy one for myself, but I realize that not everyone will spend $112 for a ratchet. If I have the funds later I will and smile while doing it.
92SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #18
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Comment to tools:

In my collection are several tools I found on the roadside, particularly large channel locks, they are my favorites!

Craftsman ratchets- they work for a while then become sloppy and sometimes slip. Not a good trait for a ratchet!

Black and Decker electric tools- they last about 2 years of light use then ALWAYS burn out. Simply JUNK.

I can see the difference in buying really good tools. Like everything else, it's a cost vs. benefit thing.

On the other hand, owning a Sattie frees up some cash, for good tools.
97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #19
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
Comment to tools:Craftsman ratchets- they work for a while then become sloppy and sometimes slip. Not a good trait for a ratchet!
Yeah, I was disappointed too with Craftsman ratchets with similar results, slipping. My ratchets sit in the garage that used to freeze the pipes in the winter until I replaced the garage door that added insulation. Stupid me didn't think about the surrounding area's lack of insulation - added and now no more freezing below 32F, comfortably stays above 45F during cold spells this past winter. Anyway, I took the time to disassemble some of the troublesome Craftsman ratchets and found that the grease/oil seemed to congeal over the years and didn't allow the spring operated detents to ratchet properly. Some WD-40 and spinning a few times moved the grease/oil around until the ratcheting action came back. Reassembled them and put them back in the toolbox for another day. I didn't have anything better than WD-40 and I know it loosened up the hard grease/oil. I suppose if I degreased everything and re-lubed with lithium grease it would work also but I didn't bother.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #20
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
I got 2 MPG more after I use a fully polished, personalized, Craftsman wrench to remove the oil plug for an oil change compared to when I used the Harbor Freight combination wrench. Tools do make a difference!
LOL!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SC2
I have a set of combination wrenches from Vato Zone under the brand name Great Neck. The box end of the 7mm wrench is out of spec and luckily the open end was close enough to work when removing the rear COP on my truck. I am willing to pay for precision instruments. Additionally I currently have in my possession a Snap On swivel head comfort grip ratchet. Use a ratchet for any length of time and it will make you want to throw rocks at your craftsman stuff. It made all the difference in the world when doing the engine swap in my Saturn.
I'll confess that I agree that Great Neck tools suck but, I've been quite satisfied with Harbor Freight sockets and wrenches. I'll also say that I have paid extra for ratchets for some time. However, I'm currently trying out some Harbor Frieght ratchets, the blue and black rubber looking ones. So far they are great. I haven't used them long enough to say whether they hold up. I can say for certain that the sockets do though.

If all you do is look at Great Neck and say that they represent all cheap tools, you just aren't cheap enough to find the right bargain. Some of the best tools I have I bought at a flea market in Houston 35 years ago.

Oh and you can't cheap out on flare wrenches. The cheap ones are worthless.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote