SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
brenspin
brenspin is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
Default evaporator core leak -- opinions on 'stop leak' products?

The a/c on my '98 SW2 (134K) always worked great, but now that I am preparing to sell the car, I noticed the a/c no longer blows cold.

I asked my mechanic friend to investigate. He told me he believes there is a leak in the evaporator core.

I've done a little research and searched on this site. It seems I can get a new evaporator from eBay for about $40 + s/h, but from what I read here, it would take HOURS to install it.

I'm wondering if you guys have any knowledge and opinions about possible 'stop leak' products for a/c systems. My friend seemed to be of the opinion that they were crap, and he didn't seem willing to bother with such a product.

Obviously, functioning a/c is a big selling point when you're trying to sell a car.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brenspin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brenspin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brenspin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
NavyCPO
NavyCPO is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default Re: evaporator core leak -- opinions on 'stop leak' products?

Here is my two cents. I have a Dodge caravan that I used that A/C stop leak on. It was a bandaid at best. Worked for a little while but eventually it would still leak and after a few treatments the compressor finally quit. It, by no means, is a permanent fix.

Jim Hunter, Chief Petty Officer, USN, Retired
93 Saturn SL2 Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NavyCPO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NavyCPO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NavyCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

An R-134a retrofit kit with leak sealer helped slow the leak on my mom's '92 car (prior to CFC free a/c). It still leaks, but a recharge will last almost a year as opposed to 1-2 months prior to the retrofit. If you have a fast leak-it won't help. I've heard from several mechanics that the leak sealers can "gum-up" the system-there are some pretty small holes that the refrigerant has to go through inside the system-you don't want those sealed up. I wouldn't recommend a leak-sealer because of that problem, although we haven't had any serious problems with it. No leak-sealer will be permanent-it will still leak, just slower.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

Professional A/C technicians regard ANYTHING other than STRAIGHT refrigerant (and UV DYE) as CONTAMINANTS. Not only that but stop leak also damages their machines when they work on your a/c system.

If you're going to fix something, fix it RIGHT.

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #5
Old_Coot
Old_Coot is on a distinguished road

Your in milwaukee, its winter, sell it as is while it is still cold out.

If you use any stop leak you will just be cheating the next guy since it wont hold and in the long run will do damage..

If your system has been broken for much time, you would possibly have to replace other parts anyway to make it work....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Old_Coot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Old_Coot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old_Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
94sc295sl2
94sc295sl2 is on a distinguished road

Location: spring hill tennessee (the motherland) sterling heights michigan native

1997 SL2
1994 SL1

no stop leak never

remember that cars are built by robots built by human hands and are prone to failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc295sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc295sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
94sc295sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:04 AM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Depends on what is actually leaking....and how bad. Evac and recharge the system. If it holds pressure for about a week, stop leak may help (see below) less that a week...NOPE.

If it's an "O" ring, stop leak may work for a while

It its a HOSE or part of the actual (aluminum) evaporator core, stop leak won't do a thing.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
poorboy
poorboy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

STOP Leak will cause more damage than good. If your system is leaking and you put STOP leak in, it may (very seldom) stop the leak. However if it does not you have ruined your AC system. Then to repair the leak, you have to replace almost every component of the system (ie copressor, evaporator, TX valve and condensor). I would strongly suggest that you read this http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Pdf/042003_04.pdf

Good luck

94 SL2 Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to poorboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help poorboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
brenspin

1998 SW2

Thanks for the info and opinions.

If I get the system refilled with more R134a, what is the longest I could hope the a/c would function assuming the leak is really small?

What is the approximate cost of having more refrigerant added?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help brenspin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #10
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Remind me not to buy anything from you.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #11
brenspin

1998 SW2

I know nothing about cars and am curious how long a recharge can last especially if I end up driving the car this summer still.

Wolfman said if it holds pressure for about a week, then stop leak may help. So am I to assume with even a minor leak, a recharge won't keep the a/c working for a few months?

If a recharge each summer season is an OPTION, obviously that beats buying a $300+ part and paying for 11 hours of labor on a $2000 car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2006, 11:37 PM   #12
Dark
Dark is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

How does having a mechanic friend take a look at a car blowing warm air end up being an evap. leak? Was the system filled with dye and nothing was noticed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dark's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:29 AM   #13
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Is the weather out where you are even warm enough for the AC to kick in?

Evap cores are not real common things to go on Saturns. They tend to leak from fittings more than the evap core. You can check by removing the blower motor and reaching up in the openign of the blower to the center of the car. The evap core is just up a bit. When the y leak they also also leak the AC oil and they tend to clog up with oilly dirt. So if you can reach up to the core and feel oilly dirt then you do have a leaking evap core. Most people tend to notice a lack of air flow from the HVAC system if the core has leaked and clogged the evap core. The air goes through the evap core right after the blower.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote