SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2018, 01:12 AM   #1
changeling616
changeling616 is on a distinguished road

Default getting a duplicate key made for 2001 Saturn SC2

I am interested in getting a key made for my 2001 Saturn SC2. I want to get a key that I can put in my wallet, so I want it without the plastic piece that is often part of a car key.

I get the impression that you can get a key made from General Motors if you give them the Vehicle Identification Number. But since I already have the keys, can it be done somewhere like a hardware store? A local Menards store has a completely automated key machine, but it would not do my Saturn key.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to changeling616's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help changeling616 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
changeling616 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2018, 07:19 AM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: getting a duplicate key made for 2001 Saturn SC2

I have had spare keys made for the Saturn at a hardware store. Try another, if Menards can't do it. You can always cut the plastic off. I've done that before.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Cutting a new key by copying an existing key is certainly feasible but keep in mind that it will not be as good quality as a key cut from VIN which would be the same as the original key.

Any locksmith, hardware store and perhaps specialty mall kiosks will be able to do it for less than $5. If your existing key is worn I'd discourage you from going this route. You'll likely find the new key to not work as smoothly. Perhaps Menard's knows this and that is why they wouldn't cut a key.

Cutting a key from VIN will cost you around $10-$15 at a GM dealer. I suppose if you want to supply your own blank without the plastic; they would likely cut it for you. You'd have to obtain the blank from the locksmith or hardware store as I don't believe the dealer would have them.

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I keep the spare key in my coat pocket during 3/4 of the year. During warm weather, in my pants pocket or lunchbox pocket.

I have one of the original, plastic, credit card type keys, need to get it cut for when I have my final Saturn. Saving it until then

Looks like this - I think some places (locksmiths?) may still have them, heard that AAA used to give them out. Maybe a possible 3D printable?

Trying to find if you can still buy those, came across this interesting article,

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mak...h-TicTac-Bott/
(rather than "smoking" and using tape, you can just photocopy the original key to use as a guide)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I do not think anyone aftermarket makes those credit card keys prestly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Yeah, I think you are right, OldNuc. Didn't see the usual ads when searching.

Plus, all the new keys these days have chip$ for $ecurity

I do think I want to try, maybe this winter if I get bored, to make my own plastic emergency key from an old credit card. It would be nice to have a spare in the wallet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #7
Zeebins
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2

I tried making a credit card key once and failed horribly lol. Kinda expected to though when my only tools where a sharpie and some scissors.

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:04 PM   #8
jpsuli
jpsuli is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

I was planning on doing this same thing, except with my door keys and trunk keys if my fob battery dies. (Got a cheapo ignition switch, didnt bother replacing the trunk or door keys), went to Walmart and got a new key for $4 in place of the Saturn key as I kept getting them mixed up, I now have this on my keychain https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BjoAA...gi8/s-l300.jpg.

Comparing it to one of my thicker cards, it'll be about twice the thickness. If you can wait a week or two I could get a design out for my Walmart thin key.

*Also if you go to Walmart, tell them it's the same slot as the Geo. The Walmart key machines have Saturn and Geo under their own key ring. IIRC its a #13 key on a Casette B. The machines they use are popular in places like Home Depot

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #9
changeling616
changeling616 is on a distinguished road

Since the machine at Menards could not do it, I was thinking I could not get them duplicated anywhere.

Well, I instead went to a local hardware store, and they duplicated my original for about $3.

Thanks to all who replied.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to changeling616's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help changeling616 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
changeling616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #10
laser3kw
laser3kw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

I just had the local locksmith make a key off the vin for my 2000 SC1.
The local hardware store tied to duplicate them but the duplicate were questionable due to the master key being so bad. My key(s) was so wore out that it won't open the trunk and took a gentle touch to open the door, ignition was ok.
The locksmith took my info and cut the key. Took about 15 minutes (with interruptions).
Keys worked perfect! Opened all doors / trunk with out problem. Started car right off. And the key were as the OP described, regular steel / brass (whatever) flat with no plastic grab at the head. Cost was ~$45 for two keys.
I know, I could of gotten them cheaper off the internet, but I would rather do it face to face with the business doing it. And I picked a local locksmith with a very good reputation and 80 years serving locally.

Last edited by laser3kw; 10-06-2018 at 06:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #11
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I wasted $3 at Walmart for two key made for two different Saturns. Neither key worked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:35 AM   #12
Packard
Packard is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

When did walmart get dealer keys ? The walmarts Ive seen in my local dont have dealer keys . Why would a dealer require a vin? But walmart cuts keys never ask for vin?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #13
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard View Post
When did walmart get dealer keys ? The walmarts Ive seen in my local dont have dealer keys .
What is a "dealer key" ?

Not sure what you mean by "dealer key"
Quote:
Why would a dealer require a vin?
If you either do not have a key for your car, or your key is extremely worn, the dealer can use the VIN to look up the pattern and cut a new key, just like the one that came with the car originally
Quote:
But walmart cuts keys never ask for vin?
Because when Walmart is cutting a key, they are copying a key that you gave them to copy. If you don't have a key, Walmart can't make one for you. If your key is worn out, your copy will be a copy of a worn out key.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #14
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Had a VIN cut key at my local Chevy dealer for $5, to a '96 SC2. Not sure if it was so cheap because my dad was also replacing his keys (same era GM but required a different key for the ignition, doors and trunk; not to mention 3 ignition key styles that isn't tied to the VIN...$25 and 5 keys for him...)

Copying a key works well for low use keys like masterlock, maybe home door but not so much automotive keys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #15
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I bought both cars used, and both came with one key, no FOB. I gave Walmart the keys, and they made dups of the "worn" keys, and neither worked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #16
laser3kw
laser3kw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

just to clarify, the locksmith I used made new keys off the VIN of my 2000 SC1.
He did not use my existing key for duplication.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:15 AM   #17
sc2 saturn
sc2 saturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

if u want spare keys that work with ignition that isn't plastic

https://www.clksupplies.com/

that website it great for keys i ordered my 01 sc2 keys off it for duplicates then got gm to cut them matching to the vin no charge for cutting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote