SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
Default oil useage

i noticed my car is starting to use some oil. I go through a half quart per month. I drive about 25-30 miles per day normal. does that seem high for the mileage? I wonder if I can cut it down with that oil soak.... I don't remember having to add that much oil between oil changes. I wonder if the cold weather has something to do with it as I don't remember the usage in hot weather.

if anything I would think it would be just the opposite....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: oil useage

That is 1800 miles per quart. Very good! Before my rebuild my consumption was more than a quart every 1000 miles.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

ya it's really not much but I hope it doesn't get worse, but it is a Saturn. i changed my gasket around the cam cover & spark plug holes a few years ago & the engine has been bone dry there, but recently this winter I noticed a little dried up oil near the corner of the engine near the upper rad hose. it's hard to tell where's it is coming from. are those cam cover bolts known to loosen over time? I should check it out.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:32 AM   #4
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Your oil control rings are starting to seize up. The pistons have insufficient flow, for removing the oil, and it cooks into a varnish.

At your consumption rate, try switching to synthetic Mobil-1 5w-30.

You may also try the MMO soak, which the longer you let the pistons soak in that stuff, the better it seems to work.

Here is a YouTube video, that explains the issue and how to permanently correct the problem:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UrnblJ8VZtY

And I just did a teardown/head gasket-top end recondition on a junkyard 1.9L DOHC. These engines are actually VERY EASY to tear apart and put back together.

I will post a link, with my video of the run test on my SC2, as soon as I get it uploaded to my YouTube account.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:36 AM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
ya it's really not much but I hope it doesn't get worse, but it is a Saturn. i changed my gasket around the cam cover & spark plug holes a few years ago & the engine has been bone dry there, but recently this winter I noticed a little dried up oil near the corner of the engine near the upper rad hose. it's hard to tell where's it is coming from. are those cam cover bolts known to loosen over time? I should check it out.....
The plastic valve covers are prone to warping, a few thousandths of an inch, at the corners.

Torque being applied to the bolts will actually worsen the warpage.

You can try a Fel-Pro PermaDry gasket, but usually once they warp, you have to replace them with a brand new one. Last time I priced one, from a GM dealer, the plastic valve cover was $400+. Aluminum covers are discontinued, and can only be used up to the 1998 model year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Your oil control rings are starting to seize up. The pistons have insufficient flow, for removing the oil, and it cooks into a varnish.

You may also try the MMO soak, which the longer you let the pistons soak in that stuff, the better it seems to work.

Here is a YouTube video, that explains the issue and how to permanently correct the problem:

And I just did a teardown/head gasket-top end recondition on a junkyard 1.9L DOHC. These engines are actually VERY EASY to tear apart and put back together.

I will post a link, with my video of the run test on my SC2, as soon as I get it uploaded to my YouTube account.
I use Valvoline syntech full synthetic & also mobil one too. in the spring/summer I will try the soak I guess I had it coming. my car has low mileage for it's year so I think the engine is still tight. no visible leakage or smoking at all, not even the slightest smoke visible other than cold weather steam when first started.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:

I use Valvoline syntech full synthetic & also mobil one too. I have been using it for the last around 40.000 miles I estimate. in the spring/summer I will try the soak I guess I had it coming. my car has low mileage for it's year so I think the engine is still tight. no visible leakage or smoking at all, not even the slightest smoke visible other than cold weather steam when first started. I replaced the cam cover gasket a few years ago & it's been bone dry around the cover since, but recently this winter I seen some dry oil debris in the corner of the engine near the upper rad hose. it almost doesn't look like it's coming from the gasket, but I wonder if that cover bolt come loose in that area, will check it out when I get the car back from the shop....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
The plastic valve covers are prone to warping, a few thousandths of an inch, at the corners.

Torque being applied to the bolts will actually worsen the warpage.

You can try a Fel-Pro PermaDry gasket, but usually once they warp, you have to replace them with a brand new one. Last time I priced one, from a GM dealer, the plastic valve cover was $400+. Aluminum covers are discontinued, and can only be used up to the 1998 model year.
the cover my year are less prone to warp I understand. the oil leakage three is very slight only a little dirty debris from time to time nothing to be concerned about. maybe the cover bolt got loose in that corner. I used that fel pro gasket. if my cover is warping I will replace it. are these available new still? I checked my cover for straightness when the gasket was replaced. if it's warped I couldn't see it....

there's really no leakage as far as oil running down, just some dirty debris probably from less than a drop. i'll keep an eye on this to see if it gets worse. cover is clean around the rest of it though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I didnít Think anyone still recommended the mmo soak. I donít think anyone has reported decreased oil consumption after trying it. Most of us found it did nothing. The b-12 soak seems to be working for people though.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
I use Valvoline syntech full synthetic & also mobil one too. in the spring/summer I will try the soak I guess I had it coming. my car has low mileage for it's year so I think the engine is still tight. no visible leakage or smoking at all, not even the slightest smoke visible other than cold weather steam when first started.
They won't start smoking, until you get down to about 1qt/500mi or less. Just keep an eye on your oil level and don't run it more than 2-3 diamonds below the FULL line. It isn't your fault. It if a flawed piston design.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
I didnít Think anyone still recommended the mmo soak. I donít think anyone has reported decreased oil consumption after trying it. Most of us found it did nothing. The b-12 soak seems to be working for people though.

-Robert
i read a lot of people with mixed results doing the mmo soak. what's a b-12 soak? is it something else you pour in the cylinders?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
They won't start smoking, until you get down to about 1qt/500mi or less. Just keep an eye on your oil level and don't run it more than 2-3 diamonds below the FULL line. It isn't your fault. It if a flawed piston design.
I've been checking it once a month, more if it shows an increase in consumption. my car is in excellent condition & I would consider a change to drilled pistons if it comes to that. the car's worth it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #13
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

these soaks do you just pour in the recommended solvents let it soak for about 24 hours & then just re-install the plugs & start the car? does this foul the plugs? my plugs are pretty new as the wires. I assume the solvent works it's way past the piston rings after a while?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #14
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

does extreme cold or heat effect oil usage? there's questions all over the net regarding this. no really concrete answers....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #15
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

do people who had their pistons drilled did that make a difference with oil usage? complete stop it for good? I wonder what the cost would be having this done...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #16
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
does extreme cold or heat effect oil usage? there's questions all over the net regarding this. no really concrete answers....
just was on the net and there's many web pages regarding cold weather oil usage. I wonder if there's truth to this as I don't remember the last time it was warm my engine using any oil. time will tell when it does get warmer here if it ever does. we'll see.... I don't understand the connection between cold weather & oil usage myself....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
I've been checking it once a month, more if it shows an increase in consumption. my car is in excellent condition & I would consider a change to drilled pistons if it comes to that. the car's worth it.
Advance Auto Parts can get the drilled pistons, from Sealed Power, for $33.99/piston. As long as they aren't oversized, it is not a "Special Order", so you don't get charged shipping.

Fortunately, the excessive oil consumption tends to save the wear on the cylinder sleeves, which means you can get away with a re-ring/ball honing job amd not have to over bore the cylinder by .030"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #18
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
do people who had their pistons drilled did that make a difference with oil usage? complete stop it for good? I wonder what the cost would be having this done...
Talk to Highmile. He rebuilt his SL1 engine, at like 450,000 miles, and used drilled pistons. He is currently at 650,000+ miles on his SL1. He can tell you mpre about the results of oil consumption and drilled pistons.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #19
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
I have owned almost 20 different models, of automobiles, in my 20 years of driving. I have never seen hot/cold weather male a noticeable difference, really.

Depending on WHAT is causing oil consumption, would determine how weather could affect consumption.

Bad Rings or Bad Valve Seals = Additional Oil consumption in cold weather, because the engine idles longer to warm up. The consumption is not so much the weather, but because the engine is running for a longer period of time.

Gasket Leaks = Possibly affected by the weather. Only gaskets, that are sealing oil when the engine is OFF(such as the drain bolt or pan gasket) would be affected. In THIS case, the consumption would be LESS, because the oil is thicker due to colder temperatures making it more dense.

Now, gaskets that are under pressure will be the OPPOSITE, as pressure will be HIGHER with colder oil.

In any case, the more a damaged engine runs with oil consumption will always have a more noticeable effect on oil consumption, than the weather will ever truly cause by itself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #20
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
I spent about $1400 at the machine shop for oversize pistons and machining. No more oil consumption!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote