SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Dizko
Dizko is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Ion trunk leak

Hello!

I mostly lurk around here because the wealth of information that's here but I have a problem with my wife's Ion to which I couldn't find the solution for.

So she noticed that the carpet in her trunk was a bit damp and was concerned that the trunk was leaking which we discovered it is. There was a significant amount of water in the spare tire bay.

I did some testing to try and discover where the leak was coming from and it appears that the leak is coming from some class of a vent in the trunk that vents to just behind the passenger side rear quarter panel.

So I have two questions:

Is water supposed to get behind the rear quarter panel in the first place?

And, what is this part called so that I can replace the rubber seal around it that seems to be the source of the leak? (see image)

Help is appreciated.

Also, any recommendations on where to order Saturn parts from?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Apr 18, 6 28 28 PM.jpg (157.5 KB, 172 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dizko's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dizko reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dizko is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2004 Ion trunk leak

step one, remove rear quarter panel.

step number 2, cut out the vent.

step c, seal in the new vent.

you can't fix the old one, and yes, it is the vent.

ask a dealership to order you a trunk vent.

I'm on my second (or third?) vent, try to keep heavy objects away from it.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Dizko
Dizko is on a distinguished road

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dizko's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dizko reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dizko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
chilipepper1327
chilipepper1327 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Please be very careful here. The vent is there for a reason! The battery is in the trunk by the way, and yes it has a venting system, but....
Now that you know, you can take steps to prevent it.
I would place a plastic bag in my fuel filler cavity and this worked. Take care of the rust there, then check the vent to make sure it is ok.
I also placed an old towel in the cavity right beneath the vent that I would check after every wash as well. Sometimes it would be a bit wet and sometimes not. I switched it out when it got wet. The 06 I have does not have the vent here by the way. So I guess Saturn noticed and changed it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

my 06 and 07 both have/had the square trunk vent on the right rear trunk side.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
chilipepper1327

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Don't doubt you, but you know, US and Canada, some differences.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

there are. funny you mentioned keeping something under the vent. I have a sponge that has lived there since my first vent broke.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
chilipepper1327

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

There was another question about this vent in the tech section. Interesting that more people have not mentioned this before, or maybe they don't care. Had many leaky cars over the years for no apparent reason, so maybe that is it. People are just jaded and apathetic. Who knows...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2014, 03:46 AM   #9
awelch
awelch is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
2007 ION-3 Sedan

This is a late reply to this thread but I have found a good fix for the leaky seal in the trunk vent (right rear behind the liner). Basically the lip seal around the edge of the vent assembly leaks with age due to dirt, water and slime. This eams worse where I live with all of the rain, especially in the winter.

1) unclip the plastic vent assembly and rotate it to access seal. (I recall that it was a bit awkward to manipulate and was trapped in the cavity between the metal panel and the plastic bumper/body work).
2) clean the rubber seal with a cloth (maybe use some warm soapy water).
3) clean the surface on the outside of the rectangular metal hole. I found a layer or slime (dirt and some organic growth) that seemed to screw up the rubber seal.
4) after cleaning use a clean dry towel to dry surfaces that touch at the seal / metal panel.
5) apply a thin layer of silicone (about 1/2" wide) to the outside lip of the metal hole.
6) pull the vent back into place and the rubber seal will positively seal against the layer of silicone after it sets.
7) it was overkill but I added an additional internal bead of silicone.

My silicone work was not beautiful but after 4 years, I can confirm I get no leaks or moisture in my trunk area.

The key is to seal the rubber lip to the metal panel on the outside - this is where rain water can wick into your trunk and the moist air "sweats" all over everything including the wheel well and battery.

Note that the vent flaps still work properly, allowing ventilation out of the trunk especially as you drive and no water ever enters via the flaps.

IMG_7861.JPG, IMG_7862.JPG, IMG_7863.JPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to awelch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help awelch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
awelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

i need to look into this as mine leaks after driving on a wet road.
i have a tube of RTV i can try with.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe) {Wrecked}

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

I have never checked mine. Hmmmmmmmnmn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #12
SaturnIonQCVTi
SaturnIonQCVTi is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1998 SL2

My 2003 Ion 2 Quad Coupe has a trunk leak but it's not around the vent on the right side it's coming from the top of the trunk we took the rear quarter off to replace the 2 sided membrane and thought I had it fixed but I found out yesterday after all this rain we have had I didn't so I have a video of it on my YouTube channel it's called 2003 Saturn Ion 2 Quad Coupe trunk leak help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIonQCVTi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIonQCVTi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIonQCVTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #13
chilipepper1327

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

i drove 2 little screws in the top to wedge it tightly against the body and it works and it looks like it was meant to be that way. No more water, anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #14
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
step one, remove rear quarter panel.

step number 2, cut out the vent.

step c, seal in the new vent.

you can't fix the old one, and yes, it is the vent.

ask a dealership to order you a trunk vent.

I'm on my second (or third?) vent, try to keep heavy objects away from it.
i just noticed i have a leak here too.
what do you mean "rear quarter panel"?
i hope you don't mean cut out the whole steel part?

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #15
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by awelch View Post
This is a late reply to this thread but I have found a good fix for the leaky seal in the trunk vent (right rear behind the liner). Basically the lip seal around the edge of the vent assembly leaks with age due to dirt, water and slime. This eams worse where I live with all of the rain, especially in the winter.

1) unclip the plastic vent assembly and rotate it to access seal. (I recall that it was a bit awkward to manipulate and was trapped in the cavity between the metal panel and the plastic bumper/body work).
2) clean the rubber seal with a cloth (maybe use some warm soapy water).
3) clean the surface on the outside of the rectangular metal hole. I found a layer or slime (dirt and some organic growth) that seemed to screw up the rubber seal.
4) after cleaning use a clean dry towel to dry surfaces that touch at the seal / metal panel.
5) apply a thin layer of silicone (about 1/2" wide) to the outside lip of the metal hole.
6) pull the vent back into place and the rubber seal will positively seal against the layer of silicone after it sets.
7) it was overkill but I added an additional internal bead of silicone.

My silicone work was not beautiful but after 4 years, I can confirm I get no leaks or moisture in my trunk area.

The key is to seal the rubber lip to the metal panel on the outside - this is where rain water can wick into your trunk and the moist air "sweats" all over everything including the wheel well and battery.

Note that the vent flaps still work properly, allowing ventilation out of the trunk especially as you drive and no water ever enters via the flaps.

Attachment 40947, Attachment 40948, Attachment 40949
thanks for the description and pictures. did you do it from inside the trunk or from outside. if from outside, how did you get there. did you remove the rear bumper first?

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #16
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepper1327 View Post
i drove 2 little screws in the top to wedge it tightly against the body and it works and it looks like it was meant to be that way. No more water, anyway.
did you do it from inside the trunk or from outside. if from outside, how did you get there. did you remove the rear bumper first?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #17
chilipepper1327

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacek_p View Post
did you do it from inside the trunk or from outside. if from outside, how did you get there. did you remove the rear bumper first?
From the inside. Just make sure the vent is tightly in place, and drive a couple of small screws into the top of the vent, not the metal body, on an angle, inwards, so the screws are tight against the body of the car.Comprende? You might want to use stainless steel screws.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #18
chilipepper1327

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Just remember not to block off the vent as it serves a vital safety purpose. The battery is in the trunk...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #19
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepper1327 View Post
From the inside. Just make sure the vent is tightly in place, and drive a couple of small screws into the top of the vent, not the metal body, on an angle, inwards, so the screws are tight against the body of the car.Comprende? You might want to use stainless steel screws.
OK, thanks. I think i know what you mean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2016, 10:10 PM   #20
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

i checked this weekend and both left and right sides had some water. i'm thinking it's not just the vent. will have to look for leaks a bit harder.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!