SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #241
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 96 SC2 bringing it back to life (slowly)

Great progress on the car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_b View Post
One of my garage door torsion springs broke. I have to help lift the door to open it.
I ordered new springs what a pain.
I hate that when that happens. I ended up just paying a local company to come fix it, as my wife uses the garage and didn't want to help the garage door and I had no time.

Quote:
My son is taking a hard school schedule with AP classes and in this family, grades come before cars.
Ame here, grades first. They have all summer to get their hands dirty

I don't know if your school has "dual enrollment", but some high schools will pay for your kid to attend the local community college (the kids get out of HS early to attend). They get both HS and college credit for the courses.

We went more this route (though my kids are also taking some AP) because not all colleges take AP credits or only take AP with a high score, whereas more of the community college credits transfer.

My wife managed to set it up so our youngest son is on target to get an associate's degree (at very little cost to us) a few weeks before he gets his HS diploma, due to the college and HS schedules.

he better put is in a nice home when we are older

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #242
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

@alordofchaos Loved the picture of your son doing a brake job on his own.

We send our son to private school the public schools here are not the best.
Thanks for the info they do have Dual Enrollment here I just did a quick search. It is for your last two years of school. We will look into this.

My new torsion springs come today. I have installed the springs on my attached garage. Now I get to install the springs on my unattached garage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #243
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

All the seals are in the new trans.
The old trans is just about out. Cradle bolts and two lower trans bolts.
I need to look up how to get the shift cable off trans. It is hard to see. (i just saw a video on it. I see how it works now)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180314_223558.jpg (75.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 20180314_223613.jpg (119.6 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by Mark_b; 03-14-2018 at 10:18 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2018, 12:49 AM   #244
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It helps to take the entire trans mount out. Be sure to support the engine with a engine support bar. It helps to disconnect the engine side dogbone and pop it loose from the engine bracket so the cradle can drop down on the left side without twisting the dogbone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #245
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

The new back brake flex lines are in.

The tie rod boots are split and the ball joint boots are split.
I was able to tie rod boots local my wife picked them up this morning.

I had to measure and order boots for the ball joints they won’t be here until Saturday around noon. I lot can be done before I need those.
I have the right-side axle out and ball joint apart.

I still need to rig up motor bracing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1521119677474.jpg (94.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 20180315_085239.jpg (109.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg TR.JPG (70.0 KB, 72 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #246
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Harbor Freight sells an engine support bar or you can fab 1 from a ratchet strap and appropriate sized lumber.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #247
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_b View Post
@alordofchaos Loved the picture of your son doing a brake job on his own.
That was Low Saturn's son

Low's son was doing oil changes at 6 and grew up turning wrenches on Saturns. Can't believe he is driving age already

Quote:
Thanks for the info they do have Dual Enrollment here I just did a quick search. It is for your last two years of school. We will look into this.
You're welcome. I couldn't remember if I had already mentioned it or not. Takes some planning - but depending on what school he decides to go to, he could transfer two years of credits. That's a 50% discount on tuition right off the top [/off topic]

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:37 PM   #248
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Old trans is out.

I do some hobby welding so I had some steel laying around that I used to hold the motor in place.

I kept the bolts from the JY trans and I cut the head off two bolts. We will use this to help slide the new trans into place.

I was able to get the steel front brake lines both loose. Now it will be easy to put the new flex lines in.

The new calipers will go on when we are done.
My new valve body comes tomorrow and the new trans pan gasket comes tomorrow.
I am going to wait to put the new trans in until after new VB is done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180315_182622.jpg (124.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Inked20180315_194314_LI.jpg (165.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 20180315_182606.jpg (137.7 KB, 67 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #249
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I see some high-tech string was also required.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2018, 04:45 AM   #250
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I have a question about filling the new transmission with fluid. I have 2 gallons dextron III.
I usually measure what came out but this was drained at junk yard. How much should I first put in it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #251
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Trans and TC hold 7 quarts from dry. Generally the easy approach is to fill about 5 quarts and spin the engine over with the PCM B fuse out and the plugs out a couple of times and then check your static level again. Stopped level is a bit above full mark. Once it is close fire it up and do a normal level check sequence per the FSM or the info in my photo gallery to get it correct.

Remember, it is easier to add fluid than to drain out 8oz or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #252
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Thanks for the info.
I put in the torsion springs for my garage door. It will be much simpler getting to the car now.

I am just waiting for my VB to be delivered today. Tomorrow the ball joint boot come in. I hope to be driving the car this weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #253
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

On Friday my valve body came from central valve bodies in and I installed it the trans looked good inside.

We have everything installed and the fluid level in right on.

We took it for a couple short test drives. It appears to have reverse slam. All forwarded gears work fine is it shifts great. But put it in reverse and it takes a few seconds the bam it hits hard. Put it in drive and it shifts in fine, soft goes through the gears very nice.
I ended up putting in new tire rod ends. New ball joint boots. Everything went pretty well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180316_165714.jpg (85.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 20180317_000032.jpg (97.3 KB, 61 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2018, 09:52 PM   #254
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I just started cold and it went I you reverse fine. Just like normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #255
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The PCM has to learn the new trans so some initial harsh shifting is to be expected. The trans seals have been sitting dry for some time as well and that also causes delayed shifting. Get it all warmed up to normal, check level and if OK then do a couple of re-learn runs. If the new trans is close to the nonvolatile learned adaptives there will not be much adjustment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2018, 09:44 AM   #256
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Yesterday was interesting. I have a very old two post screw car lift. I was raising the car two check for any leaks. When the car got to about 32” high I heard a sound and the lift stopped. It would not go down it tried to go up but one side started to go put but not the other side. I stopped I did not want that. I worked on the lift and could not get it down.
Then how to get the car off the lift? I rigged up what I had looked at it and said no way!
I went to Northern Tool web site they had 12 ton jack stands that went 28” high that is pretty close to how high the car was.
They were on sale $20 off $79 I found a $20 coupon that took them to $69 a set $140. So road trip to Northern. The car is now safely on the ground.
Thankfully it was not 6' high in the air. Two jack stands weight 50 pounds.

After all that I drove the car for the Trans relearn. When the car is cold it shifts into reverse fine but once it is warm it has a little delay and then goes in harder than D. not as bad is it did.
The fluid level is right on. No leaks at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1521424141844.jpg (103.4 KB, 45 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #257
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I swapped out the coil pack when we put in the trans. I put the coil packs in from the 2002 and I will just keep my old one as a spare.
In the last two days we have drove the car 55 miles. No codes at all.
I called central valve bodies today they asked a few questions to make sure I put it in right.

They said drive it for a couple days and see if it gets better. If in two or three days it still has the same reverse issue they will send out another VB great guys to deal with.
Hopefully it works itself out. all forward gears are fine.

The dash is quite now but the trunk stabilizer bars are not quite.

Last edited by Mark_b; 03-19-2018 at 08:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #258
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That reverse delay when warm is likely a viscosity issue which may be correctable by another VB. It also may be excessive seal wear in the actual reverse idler actuator. My guess would be a VB that is at the min allowable oil pressure for reverse actuation, 67psi. This is somewhat controllable in the VB and the hot ATF viscosity. Do not try any ATF additives though. As they did not tell you it is a trans issue that is a good sign that it is a VB issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #259
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

He took me to school in it this morning and put another 40 miles on it. It is running great checked trans fluid when I got home and it is right on.

I took it in and for a wheel alignment. We replaced the tie rod ends and the steering wheel was off and at HWY speed it felt a little off.
It looks good and feels good now.
I have a new brake master cylinder coming. Then the brake system will be done.
It started out ok but the more we did brake bleeding seemed to wear on it.
It works but it just does not feel the way it should.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #260
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Manual pedal stomping brake bleeding usually also trashes the master cylinder. If the replacement is not properly prepped and installed trashing the new one is also rather common. The bubble in the lines will usually work out without going to each wheel for another round of excess pumping. Lightly compress BY HAND on pedal only until it firms up. Takes a couple of minutes for all pistons to properly retract and push the bubble into the reservoir. Or get a good pressure bleeder.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!