SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #21
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Broken piece of engine block, what now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscompton View Post
Last one. Photos up next.
You are storing photos on PHOTOBUCKET with out paying for 3rd party access so they are BLOCKED. >SEE SCREEN SHOT<
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-2018-03-17_18-21-25.jpg (56.7 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #22
chriscompton
chriscompton has a spectacular aura aboutchriscompton has a spectacular aura aboutchriscompton has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, bout that. Here are the images as attachments, before and after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5582 (1).jpg (22.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5586.jpg (90.4 KB, 22 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chriscompton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chriscompton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chriscompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #23
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I saw the two images when I replied. And now the host site has issues, removing those two pics........ New members can and have posted images when familiar with this site without having to post fifteen time. It's no secret. The key to posting images is file size, not the number of new member postings. The problem with posting images to other host sites are the possibility of those sites changing rules or disappearing altogether. There's no reason to post pictures elsewhere once basic procedures are understood, new or regular member.

There's one hail mary repair that may be done - a metal 'U' strap, two machine screws and nuts along with epoxy to brace the broken piece onto the engine block. If there's room. Drilling and fabricating a simple metal strap to surround the broken piece and bolting the two pieces with machine screws and nuts can work.

Last edited by fdryer; 03-18-2018 at 02:15 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #24
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

That "U" strap is what I was trying to describe as a "girdle". Doing the drilling/tapping to install it may be tricky and considered a "Hail Mary" play, but if it could be accomplished I think it would be a reliable repair.

I suggest simply changing to an aluminum VC, that may be stiff enough that leakage is tolerable even ith the screw missing. Yeah, that's also a "Hail Mary"...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #25
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I wasn't sure of your descriptions but agree, a hail mary fix may be the most cost effective when its done just right. It shouldn't be difficult at all when its carefully designed since the strap, nuts and bolts along with epoxy will more than suffice to restore this one threaded hole to function.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #26
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The aluminum cover skips #6, not #5, but if you pile some RTV on it along with the proper gasket it should be fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:40 PM   #27
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Replace the cylinder head.

Do NOT attempt to JB Weld or epoxy cast aluminum. Even if it does hold, it will not hold for very long.

Do NOT attempt to create a "girdle" by drilling and tapping the cylinder head casting.

www.car-part.com

1996-1998 Saturn 1.9L DOHC cylinder heads all interchange.

A 1995 Saturn 1.9L DOHC cylinder head will also work, as long as you get the aluminum valve cover and leave the extra coolant sensor threaded into the head to prevent coolant leaks.

You will have to swap your manifolds, injectors, camshafts, lifters, and throttle body onto the replacement cylinder head. Yards do not include these items with a used cylinder head.

Make sure you buy a cylinder head gasket kit, which will include every gasket you need and include premium valve stem seals.

Rent or buy the valve spring compressor tool to remove each valve and install new valve stem seals.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

Last edited by Saturn Night; 03-18-2018 at 08:50 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:52 PM   #28
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
The aluminum cover skips #6, not #5, but if you pile some RTV on it along with the proper gasket it should be fine.
You are correct in the bolt sequence. He will need to replace his cylinder head. Somebody has already tried to "repair" this head, once already.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #29
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

RTV will fix nothing like this ever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2018, 02:08 PM   #30
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

After seeing where the damage is, I'm thinking aluminum valve cover + check oil frequently and refill as needed. Probably the quickest patch for your weekend trip.

You'll need teh PCV hose, too, follow this closely along with all other instructions (using acetone rather than brake cleaner, etc). Don't overtighten to try and compensate for teh missing bolt, etc.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187908

Ultimately, replace the head.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #31
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

The way the head is formed - I'm betting that you can't weld one without dismantling the head. I' ve seen experienced welders curse and throw stuff when trying to weld sinterd aluminum that' s oil soaked.

The best chance of success would be a hot carbon tet tank to remove all the oil contamination, then pre- heat the head.

Nuc has the right idea ( as per usual ) - go with the alloy valve cover.

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #32
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

The broken part is behind the #1/#2 cylinders, and the aluminum cover will NOT correct that problem. The aluminum cover skips the bolt behind the #3/#4 cylinders, as the 1991-1995 heads do not even have the casting for that bolt.

The head needs to be replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #33
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
The way the head is formed - I'm betting that you can't weld one without dismantling the head.
Yeah, i don't think welding is a good idea after having seen where it is actually broken. I was thinking the crack was on the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night
and the aluminum cover will NOT correct that problem.
right, it is no fix, but it may slow the loss of oil long enough to get through the long trip the OP says is coming up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #34
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You correct this problem by replacing the head. The cost of proper welding will eclipse the cost of a good used head that you have rebuilt. You can pull the head and try a ghetto fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #35
W1PIT
W1PIT will become famous soon enough

1996 SL2
2001 SL2
Roll Eyes Re: Broken piece of engine block, what now?

Please understand the key to welding aluminum castings is being absolutely
oil free. Oh,having an understanding of what your doing helps; proper equipment is a must as well. Again, permanent high strength welds in oil soaked Aluminum castings start with cleaning in a Hot tank.....

If you feel lucky go Getto , if not listen to the advise given above.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to W1PIT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help W1PIT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
W1PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #36
W1PIT
W1PIT will become famous soon enough

1996 SL2
2001 SL2

As an addendum to my post, I didn't overemphasize skill, not all welders are equal. Every thing mentioned makes for a proper repair, it doesn't come cheap,andPlease forgive me I Misspelled Ghetto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to W1PIT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help W1PIT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
W1PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #37
chriscompton
chriscompton has a spectacular aura aboutchriscompton has a spectacular aura aboutchriscompton has a spectacular aura about

Good news, everybody! After reading y'alls advice, and accepting that I REALLY don't want to replace the cylinder head, I decided to try throwing on an aluminum valve cover without that particular bolt and seeing what happened. When it was leaking the first time, it was mostly happening around the T-joints, and the second time it was leaking from the area nearest the EGR valve. Since it never seemed to leak from the area where the missing bolt was, I figured maybe I'd be able to get away with it.

I went to my local pick and pull, who only had one aluminum cover, and it was pretty jacked. CAKED in RTV or some kind of putty, covered in filth, and also kind of burnt up. So I grabbed the bolts and washers and found a reasonably priced NOS cover on ebay. Installed it on Thursday, and have been making small trips daily. Today I worked my delivery job, doing round 3 hours of city driving, and still no leaks! Replaced the PCV valve and hose as well since I cracked the elbow trying to force the old one in. Runs great! Gonna spend the next day off cleaning up the engine bay from years of leaky valve cover spewage. Thx for your help y'all! This NOS cover looks pretty spiffy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (167.5 KB, 27 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chriscompton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chriscompton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chriscompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #38
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Consider it an upgrade. Good news that it all worked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2018, 02:04 AM   #39
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

I'm surprised the cover swap worked, where that bolt is located at. The routing for the PCV system is different on aluminum covers. The rubber hose will work fine in lieu of the factory plastic lines originally used.

Count your blessings where they may be and happy motoring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #40
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

That is spiffy! Never seen one so shiny

If photobucket still worked, I'd link to Low Saturns wall of painted valve covers. That was way cool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!