SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
cgg17
cgg17 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1999 SL2
Default Ice

Hello all,
As some of you probably have heard, I totaled the 94 this morning at a premature 56,796 miles. I was going 25/30 mph around the main road corner this morning as I do every other day, and it felt like somebody kicked the back end out. Not like sliding, but like kicked out. I have never had a car slide like that before, and I drove in worse conditions before. I didn't react the way I should have, I should have steered the other way and gave it some gas. But I panicked and hit the brakes. Next thing I know I'm headed to a ditch. Then I was upside down on the roof suspended from my seat belts. I quick shut off the engine and took a few seconds to gather my surroundings. A stranger pulled over and offered to kick out my drivers side window: I declined. I reached up and popped the trunk, and folded my seat down and crawled out that way. The cops showed up, and the car was towed on a flat bed to a local yard. Only leaking fluid was tranny fluid from being upside down. I gutted all of the parts that would be damaged and I deemed valuable. We checked the fluids and opened up the cylinders to let any oil spray out. Put the plugs back in and it runs. Timing chain is a bit loud, but its not that bad. We are going to get an oil pressure reading, then determine if it is worth pulling the engine and tranny. I am hoping it turns out well and I'll have a nice engine. For now I'll be driving the 99 Auto. Its just amazing yet scary that one's life can change that quick. I am OK, just sore and shaken up, the car did its job. I have linked pictures to the crash. It's a shame the car ended this way, it had no rust or anything. I wanted to run it until the wheels fell off, and now its not going to happen. But it is what it is. I'm glad to be healthy and have the chance to search for another Saturn to try again.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...pP?usp=sharing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2
Default Re: Ice

Bummer. Wrecking a car you love is the worst, but walking away is the best senario should a car get wrecked.

Best of luck finding a replacement.

Mechanical Engineer - I make cool parts.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 71k
1998 SL2 - 244k (Gone, never forgotten)
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 107k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 156k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Glad you are okay. Sorry about your nice Saturn. You may become like myself a bit after I totaled my Ion 3 over six years ago and not mentally invest so much effort into having and keeping a nice car after you realize how quickly it can be turned into a crumpled mess. Dont get me wrong, I appreciate all the time and love that a person can put into a car and I feel that Saturns are unique and the best overall fun and satisfying car to own and drive. I just became a little less enthusiastic about getting so attached to my car. Maybe its because I am getting older? Its just an eye opener. A wake up call. Any way-go get yourself another Saturn and enjoy it.

Tuesday morning on my slow backroad way to work, I slid many times and saw one or two ice related accidents. I even had to engage the anti-lock brakes as someone mindlessly backed out of their driveway knowing I would have to brake to avoid hitting them without dreaming that I might slide into their SUV on the snowy hard pack covered street. The downhill braking slide seemed to go on forever allowing me enough time to beep my horn four times before stopping and slowing enough to avoid the meathead.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #4
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

My sincere condolences. I shared your pictures with my son who drives our Saturn now. I mentioned how much of a bummer it would be if the Saturn was wrecked after all that time and money we spent rebuilding it. I also mentioned how none of that would matter as long as everybody was ok. Really that is the same for you - any car can be replaced. Hang in there.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

I zeroed in on one of the wrecked car photos, one that clearly showed the superior protection provided saturn occupants with the welded safety cage.
Surely one of the best and unnoticed features of the S-series breed.
Glad you are safe and can show and tell us about it.

I showed the photo to someone who does not like Saturns, and even they realized the amazing benefit of the Saturn protective cage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The Saturn rear is 500lb lighter than the front end. This promotes serious uncontrolled oversteer and all of what you ever learned about skids applies to rear drive more or less balanced designs. You can markedly slow the rate of slide by adding a couple hundred pounds into the trunk, make sure it will not be rolling around. There usually insufficient road surface to actually correct this type of skid once the rear kicks out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:35 PM   #7
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Sorry about the car. It really is a shame that you lost it that way.

I noticed the durabilty of the cabin after being flipped. You definitely know youre getting into a relatively safe car. I do wonder how a cavalier or neon would have faired up to such an accident.

I have had a bit of winter fun sliding around in parking lots, and just flicking the wheel and pulling the hand brake on snow or slush will cause it to do a full 360. Though countersteering brings traction back.

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(CURSED)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-181k currently (apr 2018)

Dodging potholes should be a sport

Last edited by Jonasan308; 01-10-2018 at 11:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:18 AM   #8
I-4
I-4 will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1997 SL1

Glad that you are ok. That is the most important thing. Sorry for your loss. I had a long look at your pictures, because your car is exactly like mine. Except that I have 200k plus more miles. Color, wheels, etc, the same, except you have the anti-lock brake module. Mine is nearing the end of its life because of salt corrosion. And low compression. But my body panels are like new. Yours must have driven like new without any oil consumption. The engine and tranny should have a lot of life left in them. Someone will want them. If you were closer ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to I-4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help I-4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
I-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #9
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Had a similar incident with our youngest daughter. She was a relatively new driver and was on her way to work at the local Machine Shed restaurant early one VERY frigid (actual temps about -6, wind howling out of the west at like 30 MPH) and with a light coating of snow blowing across the farm field and the n/s road from our house. I was working in my home office preparing sales brochures and what not. The phone rings and it's her. "Dad the license plate fell off the car". Me, "how did that happen?" "when I went through the field"
So my wife went out to the area. Finding tracks through a very deep ditch, into a corn field and she followed the trail of broken pieces to the complete front license plate holder. Along with the chin spoiler and a wealth of air deflectors and what have you.
Later at home daughter proceeds to explain she's driving north and hits this glazed patch with the hard west wind it pushed the car off the road, into the ditch. She had the presence of mind to realize the car was still moving and upright so she kept her foot in the gas, continued through the farm until she reached an area of the field where she could get back across the ditch and back on the road and got to work
Funny thing was other than plastic bits the ac condenser took a hit and bent but never leaked

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

It happen fast. My sons daughter had a new 2008 Saturn aura. Got run off freeway. Flipped end over end six times aNd ended up On roof tree thru Windshield. She opened the door and walked to. Ambulance. No injuries. Amazing how safe they can be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #11
UCN Conversions
UCN Conversions is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

wowee! that is horrible! Glad to see you are ok thought!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to UCN Conversions's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help UCN Conversions reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
UCN Conversions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Was a nice looking car, great wheels. But like everyone says, important thing is you walked away

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #13
KNGRK9
KNGRK9 has a spectacular aura aboutKNGRK9 has a spectacular aura aboutKNGRK9 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Aw man that's terrible, but we are all glad you are okay! That is the most important thing.

I remember my first encounter with snow, slid all the way up a highway on ramp with bald tires trying to take a coworker home. Only had been driving about 2 months at that point. Quickly learned how snow and all acts. Decided after that to take it to a parking lot and have a little fun drifting and sliding around to see how the car controls.

Helped me learn it very well, but haven't met ice yet thankfully. Have met a hidden curb once with the rear right. I think that is why my right wheel bearing went bad.

1999 SL2 HCE - 232k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KNGRK9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KNGRK9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KNGRK9 is offline   Reply With Quote