SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2019, 09:59 PM   #41
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: An interesting brake rotor conundrum

Yes, I browsed back in the thread and found in reply #7 that the OP had tried the old rotor with no joy.

So, we are down to either the bearing installation or caliper bracket condition/installation. Do the brackets interchange right-to-left?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2019, 10:08 PM   #42
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Didn't the OP say he put his old rotors back on and had the same issue?
Lot of people seem to be wanting to focus on the new rotors. Eliminate them then you can start on what may be the right issue.
If only the one side had the wheel bearing replaced and it is that side that is rubbing then the issue is caused by something that was done or not done on the bearing replacement.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:45 PM   #43
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Was all the rust/crud cleaned off of the knuckle and caliper bracket where they mate together? The contact area there is small enough that just a little bit of crud could tilt the bracket considerably.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-26-2019, 06:22 AM   #44
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

In this photo does it appear that the caliper bracket armature that extends from the attachment point to the pin is bent? Perhaps exchange them side to side and see if the problem moves. I'm assuming they are interchangeable.

2001 SL1 MT (433,500 km @ 06/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (277,300 km @ 06/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (128,250 km @ 06/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #45
billr
Master Member

I'm not seeing anything wrong there about the bracket (not bent) or how it is mounted (tight, not tilted with crud). If I use a lot of imagination (in ample supply with this thread!) I think I see what your are referring to, but I also think that is just "perspective" in the photo.

What I do see, with that photo and the one with the tape measure, is that the nut appears to be in further on the axle shaft than it was before. The rust-to-shiny transition line on the male threads is away from the nut now. Either the axle shaft has stretched that much (impossible?) or the bearing is the wrong length; wrong bearing.

OP, you have pointed out that difference on how the nut seats and I kind of ignored it; sorry. Have you confirmed what brand and P/N the bearing is? You said the snap-ring went in OK, but even if it didn't and the bearing shifted, that nut seating would remain the same. I'm pretty focused on the bearing now... oops, I have to go back to the pix and see if the washer is there!

Well, I'm not seeing the washer in the "tape measure" photo. Will the OP please confirm that it is there, and that it is the OEM washer or thickness?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #46
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Changing the caliper mounts side to side would rule them out if the problem doesn't move to the other side. You can do the same with the rotors too but move components one at a time so you can pinpoint the root cause component. If neither of those are conclusive then you've pretty much determined it is the hub, bearing and knuckle assembly.

Wouldn't a rotor shim or two likely resolve this? Like this one from RockAuto....RAYBESTOS BA80506. Not what they are intended for but hey if it works....

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

Last edited by trottida; 05-27-2019 at 08:43 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #47
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^ Back to square one.
That's what the OP did, only they used washers instead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:22 AM   #48
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
^^ Back to square one.
That's what the OP did, only they used washers instead.
LOL! I guess but it's a bit more refined.

That said the other option likely involves removing the hub from the knuckle which means destroying the bearing. If it works to shim it then deal with it down the road when the bearing fails (hopefully many 1000's of miles later).

He could swap in a used knuckle that has a good bearing to see if that changes the outcome.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #49
billr
Master Member

There is no need to destroy the bearing to remove the hub or bearing for inspection. You just need to use the proper tools and procedure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #50
beaverplt
beaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to all

2001 SW2

They say you can't be embarrassed if you keep your mistakes to yourself. You guys have been way to helpful for me to do that.

I pulled the driver side knuckle to compare both sides. I had my "DUH" moment. It was obvious from first glance that the bearing on the driver side was seated correctly. The passenger side, not so much. If I had spent a little more time examining the install, I would have seen the snap ring did not snap into place. I'm surprised it didn't pop out during my test drive.

Anyway, Problem solved. I'm embarrassed and I'll punish myself by having one less beer tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dunce.jpg (7.0 KB, 1 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beaverplt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beaverplt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beaverplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:39 PM   #51
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

See post #30 for your free "I told you so". Wheel bearing installation is considerably more complex than most people think.

At least it should be fixed and others can learn from this now closed issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #52
billr
Master Member

I applaud the OP for not blasting us when we suggested the bearing might not be installed correctly. Some people with as much experience as you get angry when we suggest they may have made a mistake. We all make mistakes, sometimes "dumb" ones, no matter how much skill and experience we have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-29-2019, 10:25 PM   #53
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Well done! Glad you got it sorted.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #54
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Some people with as much experience as you get angry when we suggest they may have made a mistake. We all make mistakes, sometimes "dumb" ones, no matter how much skill and experience we have.
There was a pretty good thread here a while back on bone headed things we did while repairing our cars

More than once, I "finished" a job only to find a part, or remembering that I forgot to tighten or test some part, then having to take it all apart again.

When I read the monthly Rock Auto newsletter, the repair blunders and trivia are my favorite parts.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:41 PM   #55
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
There was a pretty good thread here a while back on bone headed things we did while repairing our cars

More than once, I "finished" a job only to find a part, or remembering that I forgot to tighten or test some part, then having to take it all apart again.

When I read the monthly Rock Auto newsletter, the repair blunders and trivia are my favorite parts.
Thatís the second part I read, after the whatís new.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/arc.../t-125762.html

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote