SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
seansaturn
seansaturn has a spectacular aura aboutseansaturn has a spectacular aura aboutseansaturn has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Inside rear tire wear

I had to recently change out a rear passenger side tire on my Saturn Vue 2007 AWD 3.5L. It was a little weird because it was the only one with major wear, so I suspected something around the area

I took some pictures underneath, and I see that there is a rubber gasket above the coil spring which is broken almost in half, I have included pictures.

1. Would this cause inside tire wear?
2. I'm not sure how long this has been like this, would the coil spring need replacing too?
3. I tried to locate the part, I believe its called a Coil Spring Seat-Insulator Rear, but I only see 'Lower' on ebay... I'm guessing Lower is the part below the spring, I wondered what the part number for the insulator above the spring is called? This is what I found: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202100685444
4. I don't think I need a spring compressor to replace this, just a jack under the axle?

Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to seansaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help seansaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
seansaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2019, 03:10 AM   #2
seansaturn
seansaturn has a spectacular aura aboutseansaturn has a spectacular aura aboutseansaturn has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Inside rear tire wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansaturn View Post
1. Would this cause inside tire wear?
2. I'm not sure how long this has been like this, would the coil spring need replacing too?
3. I tried to locate the part, I believe its called a Coil Spring Seat-Insulator Rear, but I only see 'Lower' on ebay... I'm guessing Lower is the part below the spring, I wondered what the part number for the insulator above the spring is called? This is what I found: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202100685444
4. I don't think I need a spring compressor to replace this, just a jack under the axle?
To answer myself, and hoping to help somebody else

3. Part: Moog K160073 Coil Spring Insulator. It is used for Upper and Lower on this vehicle.

I will continue to update for helping others even if this forum seems kinda dead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help seansaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

Look very carefully at the upper and lower control arms where they attach to the frame. Very common to have broken bolts that will cause misalignment.

ALSO - Look at the trailing arm link where it attaches to the frame, once again, broken bolts.

This is a article with photos on my blog site:

http://www.1999southwind.com/2003-sa...t-broken-bolt/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg R_Bolts_1_800.jpg (99.8 KB, 5 views)

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
Look very carefully at the upper and lower control arms where they attach to the frame. Very common to have broken bolts that will cause misalignment.

ALSO - Look at the trailing arm link where it attaches to the frame, once again, broken bolts.

This is a article with photos on my blog site:

http://www.1999southwind.com/2003-sa...t-broken-bolt/

Thank you for the info! A great read, I had no idea!! I saw there was a recall for 2004 models, but it would be pretty bad if they continued to use the same bolts (or design) into 2007. I did look anyway, but I didn't see any broken bolts! I had a good scan around both sides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansaturn View Post
Thank you
I managed to get the job done today... Learnt a lot!

2. I took the coil spring off and it actually looked like it was replaced before I obtained the vehicle. I didn't see any sagging, cracks or any rust, so I left it.

4. I just used a jack under the control arm. No compressor tools were needed. I took out 2 x 18mm bolts and also 1 x 13mm for the underside of the sway bar linkage.
I think the only 'gotcha' was fitting it all back together. I put one 18mm bolt back into the shock, then used to jack to raise it slightly to get the other 18mm hole for the control arm.

I made a video, I will post it up soon.... Hopefully it will help others.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
JimY
JimY is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
2002 VUE 3.0L

Sorry to be so late seeing your posts. My '02 AWD Vue has same rear tire wear as you, both sides. However, only 1 side has a bad (out of place) upper spring cushion. The tilt-in of the tire at the top (camber) is very noticeable when looking from 10 or 20 feet behind the vehicle, and measures at negative 3/8 inch of camber). On mine, I believe the cause is the rubber bushing on the inside end of each forward upper control arm. Look carefully concentricity (or lack of it) of the outer steel shell that holds the bushing vs the center-line of the bolt. In my case they are off center such that the inner ends of the control arms are closer to the center of the vehicle than they would be if the rubber bushings were good. That direction corresponds to a tilt-in of the tire at the top (negative camber). I plan to change the coil spring cushions also---17 years old this year. Gotta be hard rubber by now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JimY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JimY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JimY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #6
seansaturn

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimY View Post
Sorry to be so late seeing your posts. My '02 AWD Vue has same rear tire wear as you, both sides. However, only 1 side has a bad (out of place) upper spring cushion. The tilt-in of the tire at the top (camber) is very noticeable when looking from 10 or 20 feet behind the vehicle, and measures at negative 3/8 inch of camber). On mine, I believe the cause is the rubber bushing on the inside end of each forward upper control arm. Look carefully concentricity (or lack of it) of the outer steel shell that holds the bushing vs the center-line of the bolt. In my case they are off center such that the inner ends of the control arms are closer to the center of the vehicle than they would be if the rubber bushings were good. That direction corresponds to a tilt-in of the tire at the top (negative camber). I plan to change the coil spring cushions also---17 years old this year. Gotta be hard rubber by now.
Thanks for the share! I will check them out next time I go out!

I haven't driven the Saturn enough to know if my issue has been solved yet, but having the coil spring cushion only half on affected the ride height by a good quarter/half inch (they were surprisingly thick), which im sure contributed to the uneven tire wear.

That being said, I do hear a slight knock coming from the rear when I quickly steer left... I'm figuring a lot of the original bushings have dried out and/or cracked, it has a good 181k miles on it, I bought the car with 175k with no service history, so im not sure what has been replaced, but some suspension components look at though they have been replaced at some point

REWARD EXCELLENCE!