SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
vikasevan
vikasevan has a spectacular aura aboutvikasevan has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
2004 VUE 3.5L
Default 2001 Saturn SL2 - replaced the starter it tried to start on its own without key

2001 Saturn SL2

After I replaced starter...(bought from Amazon - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

when I connected the negative cable again after putting all wires ...it tried to start on its own ..when it was trying to start ..I turn on the key and car ran ..I moved a little and turn off ...next time I tried to start it would not start...

Did put the wires wrong....two wires one from battery and one from alternator goes to 13mm bolt on solenoid and purple wire - 10 mm goes to solenoid too..I dont think I made any mistake....

May be wire touching solenoid could cause this?
Did I burn the starter? Because there is no relay or fuse for starter...it would not protect the starter correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vikasevan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vikasevan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vikasevan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: 2001 Saturn SL2 - replaced the starter it tried to start on its own without key

You could post a picture of the wires attached to the starter, but it sounds like you have them correct. Take off the PPL wire and see if it still "auto-cranks".

I gotta ask... what were the symptoms that caused you to change the starter?

Also, I think there may be a relay for the PPL wire circuit; if so, pull that out as it may be stuck (welded) closed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:23 PM   #3
vikasevan
vikasevan has a spectacular aura aboutvikasevan has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2001 Saturn SL2 - replaced the starter it tried to start on its own without key

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
You could post a picture of the wires attached to the starter, but it sounds like you have them correct. Take off the PPL wire and see if it still "auto-cranks".

I gotta ask... what were the symptoms that caused you to change the starter?

Also, I think there may be a relay for the PPL wire circuit; if so, pull that out as it may be stuck (welded) closed.

It was intermittent no stat and had to bump solenoid ..and it would start...I have the wires correct...I removed and checked again...is there any relay for starter?
if not where is the relay for purple wire..I believe purple wire is ignition switch? if so fuse ?
when I try to start ...light on radio and odometer goes dim for second but no crank any more..did I damage the starter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vikasevan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vikasevan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vikasevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:09 AM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

The starter assembly itself is probably OK. The symptoms you describe, symptoms of the old starter as well as the changing symptoms of this new one, strongly suggest that there is a relay and it is bad. Do you know where the instrument-panel junction block (IPJB) is? It will be to the left of the front passenger, behind a small panel that is below and to the right of the radio. Look in there for a relay. Replace it with a similar one from any other spot on the panel or the UHJB (under-hood junction block). That is a quick and no-cost test to see if this is any easy fix. If you get no joy with that, then we will have you break out your voltmeter and begin tracking this down step-by-step

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-26-2019, 12:32 AM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Wiring diagram for the starter purple wire/solenoid signal wire is.

Battery power to under hood fuse block to the ignition switch ---- for the manual trans to the clutch switch to the under hood fuse block to the starter --- for the auto under hood fuse block to the trans range switch to the starter switch.

No relay shown in the schematics.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:40 AM   #6
billr
Master Member

My schematics only go up to '98, and show the relay for '97-'98; it looks to be part of the RKE circus. I figured it was probably continued into the later years, but honestly don't know...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!