SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #21
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Heater control not working

While its not great to work on frozen HVAC controls in winter, do what you have to do to preset things if they're broken so it can be left in one ideal setting thru winter; heater temperature at full hot and vents set in one place. The a/c will run when defrost is selected but not run in freezing temps. I can't find the minimum temperature where a/c stops running whether the a/c light is on or not - using recirculate also turns on a/c without turning on the a/c light. On most Saturns, a/c is automatically disabled below approximately 40F by using the intake air temperature sensor. If you need to ensure a/c isn't ON, disconnect the power wire next to the compressor - this disables power from turning on the compressor. You can also remove the a/c fuse or relay. This will allow cold outside air into the ventilation ducts without concern when a/c turns on. The only reason a/c is used in colder weather in defrost or recirculate mode would quickly fog windows when a/c use removes humidity faster while using heat. Without a/c , defrost or recirc mode may fog up but less so when using maximum heat. In face/floor mode, some air still flows out the defrost vents so setting face and floor mode and leaving it that way leaves you to adjust blower speed for how much heat is needed. Adjusting the temperature for maximum heat reduces/eliminates daily adjustments/damage while using blower speed to modulate heat entry. All that's left is ensuring the heater core isn't blocked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #22
NickL30
NickL30 has a spectacular aura aboutNickL30 has a spectacular aura about

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I do know that the heat in the car seemed to be getting a bit cooler through the last few weeks so maybe that is the problem. I am banking more on the door that is the issue since the heat was working before the issue. Like I said though I will be checking!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NickL30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NickL30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NickL30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #23
NickL30

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

That is pretty much what I wanted to do for the winter until it warms up again. I am even considering drilling a small hole through the box to see if I can position the door propperly.

I was reading up on a few things and came across one person who said that you have to remove all the dash cover panels and then can remove an upper cover for the dash under the panels and then the heater box is easily accessibly. Is there any truth to that? I am not afraid to tear into this thing but at 8degrees out and no garage, my adventure time is limited.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NickL30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #24
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Do not drill into the HVAC box - with very tight dimensions and limited space, HVAC enclosures are not tolerant of anyone attempting to drill anywhere without knowing where the heater core and evaporator coils are located. Drilling haphazardly may put a hole in one of two coils and cause either a coolant or a/c leak............... For the most part, all HVAC enclosures with moving parts inside rarely fail or jam.

A co-worker bought a small dorm type fridge (brand new) for storing milk at work. We needed to put a hasp and lock it from other shift workers stealing food, milk, etc. from the day shift crew. When a mechanic offered to drill and mount the hasp, guess what he drilled into? No one knew where refrigeration lines loop in these small refrigerators but this poor guy struck a capillary line that feeds high pressure refrigerant into the freezer and promptly killed this unit with a leak into the 3/16th inch diameter copper line. We all laughed as soon as we were told and the poor guy felt terrible. Luckily for him and everyone, we knew how to repair this mistake and fixed it back to near new condition by brazing over the small nick in the copper line to seal it permanently. A service valve was put on and and normal refrigeration repairs returned this new fridge back to service. This was about 5 years ago and this little fridge is still running. It was a one in one thousand chance that a drill hit a refrigeration line.

2-Was the cabin air filter ever replaced? Its behind the glove box.

3-Part of the dash will have to come off before having full access to the HVAC box. This isn't a good option to consider in the middle of winter without a heated garage to work in.

Lack of heat can be either a partially blocked line stopping coolant flow in and out of the heater core, a temperature door stuck in position or maybe a dirty air filter. Manually moving the temperature dial or cable should allow you to hear a small thump when the door hits an end stop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #25
NickL30

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Well I checked the heater core lines yesterday and they were both hot so I think the heater core should be ok. The cabin air filter has probably never been replaced so I was going to take that out and check. I do need to remove the blower motor as it has a bad bearing. 1 and 2 make noise but above seems to work fine. I was thinking of going to the yard today and pull the blower motor out of the car out there. I know you need a special bracket to remount it but I was thinking I could make that easy enough and I also found the screw size from another post. What I was hoping I could do is to remove the blower motor and peer in to the box. I have no idea the inner construction but if I have to do it then it may be worth it to see if there is an obstruction or to see if I can manually move the heater door. This is actually the method that I used on my Honda Civic when the blend door on that busted last winter.

I did however guet under the dash again and move the door back and forth again. One way which is the opposite of what I showed in the pictures gives a bit of heat and the other way takes it away. The door seems to not want to go past the temp setting that I had it at on the 40o day we had last week.

If the other wire is any indication of how far it extends out of the plastic part then I am only getting about half turn. To me this sounds like an obstruction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #26
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I wouldn't go by the wire length. It would be better to try exercising the door cam(?) and see how far you can adjust it for max heat. It would help to have a warm engine to try the blower and see which way the cam moves for max heat. Remove the glove box to either get rid of the old cabin filter for now and see if air flow improves. With the blower out for oiling I'm not sure you can see a way into the HVAC enclosure. I'm almost certain there isn't anything to block airflow other than a stuck temperature door/clogged cabin filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
NickL30

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

When you say exercising do you mean just moving it back and forth? I will pull out the cabin air filter after work and see if that helps. I don't understand how that can cause the doors to have issues though but maybe excess dirt or something getting through.

You also said the blower motor can be oiled? I have never done anything like that but if it saves it then I am all for it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #28
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

If your lines are warm, and moving the door gives you a little heat, I would think you are having issues with the door sticking.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
NickL30

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

What is the best way to get it unstuck? Just moving it back and forth?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #30
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Sort of taking it apart, that's the only way...

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #31
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL30 View Post
When you say exercising do you mean just moving it back and forth? I will pull out the cabin air filter after work and see if that helps. I don't understand how that can cause the doors to have issues though but maybe excess dirt or something getting through.

You also said the blower motor can be oiled? I have never done anything like that but if it saves it then I am all for it!
It may be a completely clogged cabin filter. Since it's inaccessible and may have been overlooked for so many years, this little filter may be blocking most of the airflow and worth the time to remove it before presuming a stuck/jammed/broken temperature control. Moving the temperature dial/knob/lever back and forth several times is what I call 'exercising' a linkage/cam/cable set up. Some blowers have access to oiling while others are sealed and almost impossible to lube. The only way to find out which one you have is to remove the blower and examine it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #32
NickL30

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Here is the best picture I could find for my idea. I should be doing this on Firday hopefully so will be hitting up the yard first and then seeing if this works there. I also found a few sources that said you can remove the heater core from under the dash. If that is so then I figured that might be my other option if that is the case. Haynes really doesn't say much on this unfortunately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16JHJGUFFhz)fGowBRwKeNKNtg~~60_3.jpg (54.9 KB, 19 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #33
NickL30

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Found the issue. The blend door was ok and didn't have an issue. The little gear in the picture that is attached to the cable was the issue and when I pushed on the lever attached to the blend door, it would only allow it to move so far. When I removed the wire from the temp control part, the wire went all the way in instead of half way and let me turn the heat fully on. The back of the white gear had busted out and prevented the full movement. I found a replacement at the yard just a bit ago so it should be pretty easy to fix!

Thanks for all your help everyone. Now to my next issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0103141327.jpg (106.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 0103141327a.jpg (70.8 KB, 19 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #34
Mystic_Cobra
Mystic_Cobra has a spectacular aura aboutMystic_Cobra has a spectacular aura aboutMystic_Cobra has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

Hey, guys-
The wife's 2000 SL2 temperature control knob stop turning this week. It only blows cold air and it's getting cold out. I've read the posts about checking the knob, cable and connections. BUT how do we get access to the cables and the back of the temp knob without breaking the dash trim? How do we take it apart?

thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mystic_Cobra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mystic_Cobra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mystic_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #35
kg6mvb
kg6mvb has a spectacular aura aboutkg6mvb has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2002 SL2

Try posting in the s series forum. This thread was about an Ion problem.

The trim should Just pull off. It is held on with snap type fasters. Remove the radio. That should give should be able to get to the controls.

Proud to be a member of both the Ham Radio and Saturn Cults.

Avitar is a Saturn V rocket engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kg6mvb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kg6mvb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kg6mvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #36
Mystic_Cobra
Mystic_Cobra has a spectacular aura aboutMystic_Cobra has a spectacular aura aboutMystic_Cobra has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

Will do, thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mystic_Cobra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mystic_Cobra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mystic_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote