SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #21
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL
Default Re: Oxygen sensor brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
P0171 is bank 1 lean right? It could also be a vacuum leak..

and Jerry I used that o2 sensor I linked, works just fine.
Thanks for the info, adventureoflink! Come to think of it, when I took out the old O2 sensor, it almost came out with "finger pressure". Hardly a wrench needed! Possible leak there? I made sure the new one was in tighter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #22
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
Thanks for the info, adventureoflink! Come to think of it, when I took out the old O2 sensor, it almost came out with "finger pressure". Hardly a wrench needed! Possible leak there? I made sure the new one was in tighter.
If the old sensor could come out by hand and no tools whatsoever I'd suspect a leak, let alone other things... dunno why it would just come out by hand in the first place, normally those things are a BEE-YATCH to remove, even Richpin suggests penetrating oil and/or letting the car warm up for two minutes before removing...

oh yeah, and no problem for the info btw

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #23
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If it came out by hand then that is why you got the P171 code. The old sensor is probably perfectly fine so don't throw it away. Put it into a plastic bag and save it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #24
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
If the old sensor could come out by hand and no tools whatsoever I'd suspect a leak, let alone other things... dunno why it would just come out by hand in the first place, normally those things are a BEE-YATCH to remove, even Richpin suggests penetrating oil and/or letting the car warm up for two minutes before removing...

oh yeah, and no problem for the info btw
Well, I exaggerated a little on the force needed to removed the old sensor. I probably couldn't have just used my fingers but when I slipped on the wrench, there was next to no resistance for taking it out. Sort of like I had "finger tightened" it really hard but that's about it.

Just wondering why it didn't throw a dashboard code but at least I did feel it in performance. Biggest performance problem was "sputtering" when just taking off. I guess I was just so used to not doing anything on the car for so long, I took it for granted and just enjoyed the ride. Hey, pay now or pay later, huh.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #25
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If it came out by hand then that is why you got the P171 code. The old sensor is probably perfectly fine so don't throw it away. Put it into a plastic bag and save it.
Too late and besides, by the time I got done screwing with it, trying to get a reading with my multimeter and blow torch, I think I fried it anyway. I did try it in the car after that and I tried tightening it down but the car's performance was noticeably worse. As mentioned, running like a top now! (just glad the sensor is cheap) Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #26
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I hope this one its in tight...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #27
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
I hope this one its in tight...
Well, I watched richpin's video before the process and even though he recommended not torqueing down too hard, after I put the anti-seize on the threads, I didn't "baby" the installation. Let's just say, "it's snug".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #28
OldNuc

1998 SC2

They have something like a spark plug washer and you can feel it squash. They go in until the washer quits squashing. Do need to inspect washer before installing to verify it is the crush type, like the ones on spark plugs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
They have something like a spark plug washer and you can feel it squash. They go in until the washer quits squashing. Do need to inspect washer before installing to verify it is the crush type, like the ones on spark plugs.
Yes, I did notice the spark plug like washer. In a few years, when I take this one off, I'll hopefully not have to use PB Buster.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

good to see the old girl is still serving you well

While I agree with OldNuc that the MAP does not need replacing as preventative maintenance, especially with an aftermarket MAP, if you have time and access to cheap parts at a junkyard, they can be fun to play with

Some links here at DIYguy's thread on IAT and sidegapping
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194170

Even when my car is running great, I read here often so I don't miss things like that

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

[QUOTE=alordofchaos;2021504]good to see the old girl is still serving you well

While I agree with OldNuc that the MAP does not need replacing as preventative maintenance, especially with an aftermarket MAP, if you have time and access to cheap parts at a junkyard, they can be fun to play with

My local pick and pull is having a half off sale at the end of this month. Think I'll visit and "gather" a few items. Thanks for the info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #32
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

I have to throw this into the pile-

At the present time I am running an OEM-style (Denso) O2 sensor. But I have run Bosch universals for years on lots of cars including my wife's truck and the SC2 before this one (I change the SC2's about every 2 years due to my commuting miles).

I have never had any problems with the Bosch universals provided the connections are done correctly. But if you can get the OEM style with the pre-attached connector for a couple of bucks more, or are uncomfortable making secure splices, by all means buy the OEM one. No argument whatsoever from me about that.

I tried the Denso last change as an experiment. I honestly cannot tell any difference compared to the cheap Bosch spliced-on universal that preceded it. No mileage improvements, no difference in power or smoothness or emissions, nothing. You pay your money and take your choice. Just saying.......

Since alordofchaos mentioned it, I am still getting 40+mpg fill after fill. The mods are holding up quite well even with the slowly deteriorating fall weather and ever worsening traffic around here.

And as others have already mentioned, you should NOT change the MAP sensor unless it is actually broken (you'll know it). It is definitely not a PM item.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #33
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Thanks for the info, DIYguy! Good to get support about not changing the MAP sensor too. Your write up, in the before-listed link, is great. (Wish I had just 10 percent of you master's knowledge, here on Saturn fans!)

Oh, just checked the price on a junk yard MAP sensor. Ordinarily $40! Lots more than I ever expected. But half off on the upcoming sale day wouldn't be bad, especially if I could find one in a car with low mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #34
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Oxygen sensor brand?

Thanks, but I defer to the real masters of the site.

I am merely willing to experiment and am not afraid to modify and customize whenever it suits me. Like almost any other hot rodder or hot rodder wannabee.....

Not all of these experiments work out (as I have posted many times).
But some do.

Either way, I am only reporting what I have learned....... (occasionally the hard way ).

DIYguy

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #35
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
Thanks, but I defer to the real masters of the site.

I am merely willing to experiment and am not afraid to modify and customize whenever it suits me. Like almost any other hot rodder or hot rodder wannabee.....

Not all of these experiments work out (as I have posted many times).
But some do.

Either way, I am only reporting what I have learned....... (occasionally the hard way ).
Well, thank you for sharing the results of your tests! This board is the best on the Web, thanks to people like you, fdryer, OldNuc, richpin, etc. and everyone else who contributes their knowledge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #36
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

Thanks. Let's not forget Luke, Wolfman and others who have moved on but left their marks here, and list goes on and on.

Yes, IMHO this is the best site of its kind on the web.

Thank you Charlie.

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2013, 08:54 AM   #37
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Follow up-----------After installing the new O2 sensor, a new IAC, cleaning the EGR and running a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through the gas----the car now runs like a brand new car! Fun to drive again. New carpet coming and the ole girl will look like new too. (Been an awfully good car for me for about a decade) Thanks for everyone's help and Happy Thanksgiving!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #38
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

That's great. Glad to hear it.

As it turns out, I just replaced the O2 sensors on both the SC2 and my wife's truck last weekend. I used OEM-style Delphi sensors from RockAuto.

The truck sees maybe 2500 miles a year but it hadn't been changed in about 8 years. It was idling a little funky. With the new O2 sensor it smoothed out very nicely. Huge difference.

The SC2 had about 35,000 miles on the Denso. The new one did make a difference. It seems to have a little more pep at highway speeds now. Otherwise no big change. Just preventative maintenance.

Happy Thanksgiving!

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #39
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
That's great. Glad to hear it.

As it turns out, I just replaced the O2 sensors on both the SC2 and my wife's truck last weekend. I used OEM-style Delphi sensors from RockAuto.

The truck sees maybe 2500 miles a year but it hadn't been changed in about 8 years. It was idling a little funky. With the new O2 sensor it smoothed out very nicely. Huge difference.

The SC2 had about 35,000 miles on the Denso. The new one did make a difference. It seems to have a little more pep at highway speeds now. Otherwise no big change. Just preventative maintenance.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Good to hear it. Did either one give you a code, indicating the O2 sensors were not performing well??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #40
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The only codes are failure, there are no codes for any primary sensor related to inaccuracy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!