SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
twn2
twn2 is on a distinguished road

Default Radio upgrade with XM...how?

I have a 2007 Outlook and my wife wants XM. We have the single CD radio and I checked with the dealer and he said we don't have the receiver installed. I was thinking of upgrading the radio (since it's having problems) to a satnav system I found online. Does anyone know if there's a satnav that includes XM or if I would just need to tie the receiver into it??

Thanks,
Tom

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twn2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twn2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Radio upgrade with XM...how?

Every aftermarket radio in general has had external sirius/xm modules for a few years now. I'm only aware of a few old Alpines that had sat radio built right in. The same is true for most factory radios as well.

If you decide to go the aftermarket route, be aware that your car has a data system for the radio, which requires an expensive harness at ~$150 for it (this is commonplace on almost all newer cars). Also if your vehicle has radio controls on the steering wheel, be aware that many aftermarket radios have no way to integrate these and keep them functional, and that even ones that are able to be integrated don't turn out perfect like the original radio. If you have other options like a rear DVD system you may run into issues there as well.

If you decide to go the aftermarket route, I'd suggest a pioneer or Kenwood. Many Kenwood radios use Garmin navigation, and Pioneer has probably the best and most user friendly interface out there (not to mention the nicest looking).

Also, as an aside, miost of the sat radio interfaces for aftermarket radios are around $100, whereas factory radio interfaces run around $200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
twn2
twn2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info!! I'm not really in the need of the navigation feature since my wife has a gps. I just thought I might as well go for that (depending on the price) since I thought her radio was having problems as well (certain buttons won't work). All I really need is a radio that will fit and look good in her Outlook and has XM. My antenna has a wrapped wire around the main staff on her car. Not sure if that means anything.

Thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twn2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twn2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Sometimes they design the antennas like that for better FM/AM reception.

One thing I will say is that portable Garmins don't hold a candle to a good integrated solution. You plug in your destination, and then you're back to the music, phone calls, whatever you want to listen to. When you're nearing a turn, your music/phone mutes, and your nav tells you where to go, then your music comes back. It's so much nicer than having to keep your music off or keep track of when you need to turn it down, etc.

IMO, putting a single din radio in a double din slot looks ugly. If you're not interested in features like DVD/video playback or a rearview camera, Eclipse and Pioneer made units that were double DIN nav systems with BT, but lacked any video/camera playback but were quite inexpensive. The Pioneer also has a USB port for your ipod as well, so you control your ipod through the radio and can just leave your ipod in the glovebox.

Now as an admission, I do have one of those Pioneers currently, and its for sale So yes, I'm a total shill in that aspect.

tss-radio.com is where we(well, we send customers to) get most of our factory radio interfaces at work, though if the radio itself is going out, I'd just swap it out for an aftermarket double DIN of some sort.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote