SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
slypig
slypig is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default Upgrade radio to add XM possible?

Just got an XE, and it wasn't included as an option. I checked with other cars on the lot, and nonr of them had XM, doesn't seem as available up here.

Anyway, is there a module or something I could get make XM available on the car?

If I really want it, I guess I could always take advantage of the 30 day return, and have them hunt one down, but don't really want to do that.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slypig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slypig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slypig is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2008, 01:03 AM   #2
cngrevolution
cngrevolution is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: Upgrade radio to add XM possible?

I'm not 100% sure but I think its just a matter of getting the digital receiver and maybe a wiring harness, and then it should be plug and play. I think the antenna is integrated into the Onstar "shark" on the roof. I would think the dealer would know that, but then I think we are all surprised what the dealer does not know sometimes!

Alex Strand-Realtor (Dallas Area)
ERA North point
(972)984-0204
www.come2dallas.com
"We will sell your house or ERA will buy it!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cngrevolution's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cngrevolution reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cngrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Have you checked directly with XM or the XM site on the Internet? I've seen some XM receivers that come with a kit to work with your car radio. Check Radio Shack; that's where I saw them here. They start around $299US, I think. Good luck.

I LOVE XM radio... absolutely hooked on it. I'm buying a home receiver soon when my piggy bank is healthier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #4
slypig

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
Have you checked directly with XM or the XM site on the Internet? I've seen some XM receivers that come with a kit to work with your car radio. Check Radio Shack; that's where I saw them here. They start around $299US, I think. Good luck.

I LOVE XM radio... absolutely hooked on it. I'm buying a home receiver soon when my piggy bank is healthier.
I'll check, thanks.

I have also left a message with the dealer to see what they say.

I had thought that XM was standard on all new GM cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help slypig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
aurawoman
aurawoman is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.6L

My 07 Aura XR came with an XM ready radio, so it could be upgraded with module. The antenna would also have to be changed out as it is not the shark fin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aurawoman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aurawoman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aurawoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
cngrevolution
cngrevolution is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Interesting. So where is the XM antenna? I have XM in my 07 XE and I only have the shark fin. I just assumed it was integrated with the onstar antenna.

Alex Strand-Realtor (Dallas Area)
ERA North point
(972)984-0204
www.come2dallas.com
"We will sell your house or ERA will buy it!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cngrevolution's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cngrevolution reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cngrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cngrevolution View Post
Interesting. So where is the XM antenna? I have XM in my 07 XE and I only have the shark fin. I just assumed it was integrated with the onstar antenna.
It's located in the same place, it just has a different shape.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
08auraj
08auraj is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2008 AURA XR

Yes.. its one antenna, in the same place its just different if you only have onstar. Strange that XM/onstar became standard here in 08 but not Canada.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08auraj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08auraj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08auraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

Just checked an '07 brochure we had kicking around... says that the XM was optional in '07 & that it was "not available at start of production".

Looks like you must have an early one.

Shawn

Shawn Beaudoin
eBusiness Manager
Saturn of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, NH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortCityShawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortCityShawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCityShawn View Post
Just checked an '07 brochure we had kicking around... says that the XM was optional in '07 & that it was "not available at start of production".

Looks like you must have an early one.
I have an early 07, August 06 build, and it has the XM built into the radio. It knows I haven't subscribed and tells me so when I hit the wrong button on the front (right side) of the panel.
I don't know if something has to be put into the radio, but the radio knows about XM and knows I don't have a subscription.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:00 AM   #11
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slypig View Post
Just got an XE, and it wasn't included as an option. I checked with other cars on the lot, and nonr of them had XM, doesn't seem as available up here.

Anyway, is there a module or something I could get make XM available on the car?

If I really want it, I guess I could always take advantage of the 30 day return, and have them hunt one down, but don't really want to do that.

Thanks.
From the GM Canada website, I see it is a $260 (Can) option for XM on a 2008 XE. Perhaps it is an option (vs. continental US) as only the southern zone of Canada is technically within the XM broadcast coverage.

I think the XM antenna is already part of the OnStar roof fin. The radio is already XM-capable, it just needs the extra module, which the dealer should be able to install. If the dealer is willing to add it at factory cost, then you will be good to go and have a warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #12
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

y not just get something like the XM ExpressEZ for $40? simple, quick install, works great w/ the Aux jack. I'm using it in my aura, though mine has XM capability, so that i only have to pay for one subscription and can move the service between both my cars

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
slypig

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
y not just get something like the XM ExpressEZ for $40? simple, quick install, works great w/ the Aux jack. I'm using it in my aura, though mine has XM capability, so that i only have to pay for one subscription and can move the service between both my cars
It's just me, but I HATE wires hanging on the dash.

The same reason I am going to stay with the Onstar nav, and not get another Garmin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #14
slypig

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
From the GM Canada website, I see it is a $260 (Can) option for XM on a 2008 XE. Perhaps it is an option (vs. continental US) as only the southern zone of Canada is technically within the XM broadcast coverage.

I think the XM antenna is already part of the OnStar roof fin. The radio is already XM-capable, it just needs the extra module, which the dealer should be able to install. If the dealer is willing to add it at factory cost, then you will be good to go and have a warranty.
Cool, thanks for the info.

I looked for it, but couldn't find it anywhere. I'll have to dig a little deeper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Check this eBay link. This company makes XM kits for almost all 2005 and newer Factory PAC-capable radio. Their contact information is in their eBay store. They have options to add XM alone, or XM with iPod or additional Aux input for other devices. I am looking at a unit for my Ford Freestyle. They are GM and XM authorized and there is even a $50 rebate from XM going on currently. Best luck.

HTML Code:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-2008-SATURN-AURA-DIRECT-XM-RADIO-CTRL-TEXT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ38645QQihZ005QQitemZ150242629747QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #16
slypig

2008 AURA XE

Thanks for the tips all, I have decided to get the PAL cable installed to link my iPod instead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!