SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
John Olson
John Olson is on a distinguished road

Default Auto-Rx

I recently got a 2005 Saturn Ion from my aunt who has moved to a retirement community, it looks like there is some junk in the valvetrain, she told me that she was not good at getting oil changes done, the car has 50,000 miles and she has had the oil changed about 5 times.

Is auto-rx worth the price of $27.00 a bottle, I remember visiting BITOG awhile back and they were always talking about the product, now they hardly even mention it. Did auto-rx fall out of favor on BITOG for some reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John Olson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John Olson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Auto-Rx

Wrong Forum!!! This is the S-series section. Ion is...over thereeeeee.

Charlie will move you im sure.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I wouldn't be surprised if that is what the OLM called for.. A lot of people run regular conventional oil 10k miles and do not have problems.

I personally wouldn't.... But hey.

I suggest running Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra, or M1 High Mileage for a while, it should clear anything up nicely.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
John Olson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCraig View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if that is what the OLM called for.. A lot of people run regular conventional oil 10k miles and do not have problems.

I personally wouldn't.... But hey.

I suggest running Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra, or M1 High Mileage for a while, it should clear anything up nicely.
Sorry about posting in the wrong section, so maybe the Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra will do a better job of cleaning things up than auto-rx.

I will try to pick up the Pennzoil Platinum the next time I go to Wal-Mart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help John Olson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

meh, add a quarter can of sea foam to the crank case (not through the valve train but right into the crank case) and run the motor for a bit (a short drive around the block should be enough) then change the oil. it should be fine, just monitor the oil and when it get dark change it for the first few times to help clean it out a bit better. oh and use a purlator pure one filter, never fram.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Olson View Post
Sorry about posting in the wrong section
While you're here, do a search... someone did the Rx thing to try and tackle his oil-burning issue - Jerry something? I think the upshot was that although he thought it was working and stuff was a lot cleaner (I think he took off his cam cover and took pictures), it really didn't change his oil consumption. If you're just wanting to clean up the valvetrain, it should do that.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Jerry something?
JerryHughes.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
John Olson

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
JerryHughes.
I will send him a PM, I was reading a thread on BITOG in the Oil Additive Section called Paid Posters For Auto-Rx, seems some members were given free product to hype up auto-rx.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Auto-Rx will work but it is going to take awhile. It is a slow acting process. If the oil consumption is 1qt/1000miles or less then it is not going to make a large impact. If you are close to 1qt/2000 miles it will help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:45 AM   #10
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I have always been very suspicious of Auto RX. Though there are some who swear buy it. My initial suspicions occur when reading the instructions...which basically tell you to keep buying it and pouring it in...forever. In the OP's situation, extremely GOOD maintenance will probably go further to undo neglect at only 50k miles. Do the next 2 or 3 changes at 3k miles regardless of what the OLM says, and use a high quality synthetic or synthetic blend. That'll probably do just the trick and at the same or less cost. You might want to take a serious look at the air filter too..I'd bet its OEM unless auntie got upsold at Jiffy lube those 5 times.. (and it might still be even if she was... )

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
My initial suspicions occur when reading the instructions...which basically tell you to keep buying it and pouring it in...forever.
Doesn't any additive, regardless of brand or type, for the most part, push this fact anyway?

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Auto-Rx is an ester based oil. You can use a ester based synthetic engine oil and accomplish the same thing. The synthetic ester lubricants have a high cleaning/solvent action on the varnishes formed by conventional dino oils. That is why the Auto-Rx works.

If you are not burning oil using a PAO synthetic, which is commonly available or an ester based synthetic (not as easy to find, yet) is the way to go.

If you go the Auto-Rx route just run 2 bottles of the stuff and then switch to synthetic. By the end of 2 bottles you will have got all the good out of it and using a synthetic will maintain and possibly enhance the cleaning you accomplished.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #13
sdowney717
Advanced Member
sdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/how-...e-flush-12364/
http://yotatech.com/f2/how-clean-out-sludge-134123/

Quote:
Well I just called and talked to the Toyota dealership about sludge removal and he said by far that AFT fluid in the oil for 20-30 min (at idle) or so is the cheapest best way to clean sludge. He said that the amount of detergents in it is VERY high and won't hurt your motor unless you get crazy with it. (About half a bottle he said.)
Quote:
I have used ATF in my crankcase with great results!

Add 1/2 qt of ATF (any kind) and drive for 100 miles or so. Do a standard oil and filter change.

I've had old engines that start to have all of the old engine noises (rattleing lifters, etc) Did the ATF cleanse and no more noises, engine ran better also. I have had vehicles that I needed to do it a few times a year. 5 years doing this on one engine with no problems.
A lot of people use ATF as a flushing oil successfully. I would pour in a quart and leave it for an entire oil change cycle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdowney717's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdowney717 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Well, people have managed to trash engines by running ATF in the oil. The problem is you really do not notice the damage for quite a while and the amount of damage is a function of the actual bearing loading.

Just keep in mind that the Engine Overhaul in a Can has not been invented yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!