SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
SaturnMinion
SaturnMinion is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Question Where is the starter relay on the 2007 Ion 2?

Where is the starter relay on the 2007 Ion 2? Car wont crank. Not a passlock issue. Not a starter issue. Not a battery issue. Perhaps starter relay or neutral switch issue. Anyone can help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnMinion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnMinion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Where is the starter relay on the 2007 Ion 2?

Check for a blown fuse or two.

It's always better to have service manual info for year and model (alldata or Mitchell online). If I can presume your '07 starting circuit is the same for '05 Ions then you can use the wiring diagram below. Ions use low voltage for the initial part of its starting circuit, 5v from the ignition switch. The 5v is supplied from the ecm, making Ions some of the first generation vehicles converting over to push button starting like other brands. Saturn being the economical brand just adapted the low voltage circuits but without the push button START feature. The ignition switch is downsized and may be faulty.

Was your Ion recalled for ignition switch issues? Your VIN and dealer call can determine whether or not the ignition switch recall was performed or not. The recall dealt with GMs failure of these switches turning off or losing power from within with faulty electrical contacts. Some drivers died from losing engine power and unable to control their vehicle while driving - power steering is lost, making steering effort difficult to some unfamiliar with loss of power steering.

If your ign switch was replaced, the ign switch may have failed again. If you are familiar with a digital multimeter, you can check for 5v and 12v at various points to narrow the problem down.

The start relay is located in the underhood fuse box, labeled ECM CONT Relay 31. A 30 amp fuse powers this relay. The command START `(switched ground) signal comes from the ecm. The ignition switch sends a 5v start signal to the ecm. The ecm then sends a ground signal to the ECM CONT Relay (already powered with 12v at ignition on time) to energize it, closing electrical contacts to send 12v to the starter solenoid. The starter solenoid closes electrical contacts to send battery power to run the starter motor (large current).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '05 Ion starting circuit.jpg (168.6 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #3
SaturnMinion

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Where is the starter relay on the 2007 Ion 2?

Thanks! Fixed it. The diagrams are in my OEM Saturn manual. Fixed my issue. I also posted a question at the S-Series forum just to ask you about the A/C diode, (but it really pertains to my 2007 Ion2). Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnMinion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mind sharing what you found to fix this issue?

Is your Saturn manual a service manual or owner's manual? Service manuals describe the purpose of the ac diode.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #5
SaturnMinion

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Mad Re: Where is the starter relay on the 2007 Ion 2?

Naw just the owners manual. Well I was too ambitious. And this has to do with the original issue before the A/C diode. Took it out for a ride and she just kept blowing the ignition switch fuse while I was driving, (ignition switch 2A fuse in the interior fuse-box). Died 5 times and each time I kept replacing the fuse until I made it home.

She doesn't die parked in idle. She dies while driving in gear and this time about a mile from my home. This car was recalled and I had the switch replaced. Not worried about the ignition switch I have three, (new). Just for the heck of it I put one in yesterday. Pop in a new fuse car starts up. Drive it a bit and it blows the fuse...I'm confused.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn interior fusebox 027.jpg (88.8 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
SaturnMinion

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Still trying to figure it out. I do have an electronic pdf manual that I had bought from Saturn years ago. I believe this is the circuit that pertains to the ignition switch as per the manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (183.4 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

According to your wiring diagram, the 2 amp fuse feeds power thru the bcm to power the engine and xmission control modules. I think you'd have to setup an ammeter between the orange wire (pin 17) from the ignition switch and downstream modules, disconnecting each one until the fuse stops blowing. Or start examining wiring for chafing against sharp metal edges creating a short circuit condition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
SaturnMinion

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
.... I think you'd have to setup an ammeter between the orange wire (pin 17) from the ignition switch and downstream modules, disconnecting each one until the fuse stops blowing. Or start examining wiring for chafing against sharp metal edges creating a short circuit condition.
Good call! I looked at that wire on the schematic till 3:00AM this morning. I kept looking for a miracle relay that went bad. But I dont see one, (the run relay is not on that circuit and the fuel pump relay looks like its independent).

Next I was thinking of inserting a resister at the IGN SW's 2a fuse prior to the fuse itself. I'm guessing current is spiking either before the BCM or within the BCM, (in which case that would probably mean the BCM has gone haywire).

I wont mess with the RED 81 going into the BCM. That may mess up other things but that looks like a starting point for a short circuit at the exterior fuse box since all the modules in it are from 7.5 to 20a. Seems like there is a total of six modules in the BCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A resistor in series with any fuse alters circuitry and can create new problems in addition to the intermittent short. It would not be advisable to add a resistor. Resistors are usually used to reduce voltage, not current. Reducing voltage to circuits requiring 12v may cause additional problems. This would be considered modifying a circuit with unanticipated consequences in addition existing problems.

There's a 40 amp fuse feeding power to this 2 amp fuse. The 2 amp fuse protects the circuits below it on the drawing. It may help to try tracing wiring from the ignition switch brown wire to the bcm where power is distributed inside the bcm while passing power to the ecm and xmission modules. A visual examination of wiring may help to see where its bundled and how its routed around the chassis. Second guessing with a resistor masks the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #10
SaturnMinion

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
.....There's a 40 amp fuse feeding power to this 2 amp fuse. The 2 amp fuse protects the circuits below it on the drawing. It may help to try tracing wiring from the ignition switch brown wire to the bcm where power is distributed inside the bcm while passing power to the ecm and xmission modules.....
Yeah checked that brown wire all the way to the three modules. Nothing visibly wrong. Voltage checked out at 12v.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Tried wiggling that brown wire in the wire harness while monitoring 12v on that line? Push, pull, twist, whatever and see if 12 volts drop momentarily. This may be hunting expedition. Disconnecting connectors may reveal corrosion or damage on male/female terminals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!