SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2019, 12:16 AM   #1
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2
Default Is this part removable?

Back when I did all my exaust work, I bought 3 new hangers to replace the old ones. The two next to the cat I replaced just find but I wasn't able to get the one that's after the resonator off. I can get The pipe end of the hanger off but the top part won't due to it being bigger on the end. (Probably from rust?) Either way though, I knew it wouldn't last much longer due to how soft and easy to compress it is and recently it's been rattling a lot at low RPMs, mainly just in reverse for now. I was originally thinking of just cutting the bump that's keeping the hanger from coming off with a dremel or something but I also noticed a bolt (or what's left of a bolt) holding it onto the body of the car. I doubt I'd be able to remove the bolt without snapping so cutting it it still my best idea. Has anyone else dealt with this before? Just looking for some ideas before doing something that accidentally makes the problem worse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5681.jpg (170.2 KB, 22 views)

1997 SL2, 113K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2019, 12:39 AM   #2
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
Default Re: Is this part removable?

Spray the rubber hanger with some WD-40. It will slide off with ease

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:32 AM   #3
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

And assemble with soapy water. They go on easy then stay on when dry..

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:37 AM   #4
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Not sure why I didn't think of using a lubricant to help get them off. Ill try some of that tomorrow. I'll Wish I thought of it while doing the other two. Probably would have made it a lot easier

1997 SL2, 113K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #5
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

yes . silicone spray or WD are good; brake fluid OK too on 'rubber', motor oil can decompose natural rubber, but not neoprene.

If the part is clean or painted, rubber can 'stick' to it.

If you coat the clean/painted part with a smear of either silicone dielectric, or RTV, it will be smooth lube; RTV lasts longer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
Zeebins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

I was able to replace the hanger earlier. WD-40 helped it slip right off. The new one was a little tricky to get on but now that it is I can really feel the difference when shaking the pipe around. A lot firmer than before.

1997 SL2, 113K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!