SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2019, 10:48 PM   #1
silverslp
silverslp is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
1998 SL2
Default Multiple Misfire

Hello all. I recently replaced my plugs (NGK) and wires (AC Delco) as preventative maintenance in my 2002 Saturn SC. I have verified that the plugs are ran correctly. Now I am getting a misfire and p0300 code. I took off the 2nd coil pack (the right side) and noticed that there was a small copper strip broken off, so I got a new coil pack. No change in symptoms. When I have that coil pack removed completely, there is also no change. I am wondering if it is the ICM? Should I replace both coils at the same time?

The car was running excellent... this appears to have happened immediately after I installed the upper bolt on the 2nd coil pack that holds the retainer for the plug wires.

Thanks for the help in advance.

2002 Saturn SC1 - 175k Miles - Manual Trans.
2005 Saturn Ion 3 - 115k Miles - Auto Trans.
1998 Saturn SL2 - 185k Miles - Auto Trans.

Last edited by silverslp; 05-16-2019 at 10:57 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverslp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverslp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silverslp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2019, 11:48 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Multiple Misfire

I am not familiar with those later coils that use a hold-down clamp for the plug wires. Can you post a picture showing the "broken copper strip"?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
silverslp

2002 SC1
1998 SL2

I believe it is the ground strap?

Update: I go out to start the car this morning and it runs super smooth. Wondering if the cylinders were flooded from that bad coil pack? I could definitely smell raw fuel last night.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help silverslp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The brass strip you can see is a part of the RFI suppression system. If you changed out the entire module and the car runs now then most likely the ICM is what failed. It could also have been an incorrectly seated plug wire. Those plug wire hold down clips are of minimal value and they can be removed and the bolts replaced with the older short ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
silverslp

2002 SC1
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The brass strip you can see is a part of the RFI suppression system. If you changed out the entire module and the car runs now then most likely the ICM is what failed. It could also have been an incorrectly seated plug wire. Those plug wire hold down clips are of minimal value and they can be removed and the bolts replaced with the older short ones.
Yesterday, everything was running great. Now today on my way home, I had another major misfire. The only thing I have replaced is the plugs (NGK) wires (ACDELCO) and the coil pack on the right side. Does this sound like the icm?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes it does. Go to your local pick and pull and collect the entire module from a 96,97,98, or 99 Saturn, that is both coils, ICM, and the bolts. Aftermarket is just wat too expensive for what you get.

You did not install platinum plugs did you? They will cause that kind of problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
silverslp

2002 SC1
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Yes it does. Go to your local pick and pull and collect the entire module from a 96,97,98, or 99 Saturn, that is both coils, ICM, and the bolts. Aftermarket is just wat too expensive for what you get.

You did not install platinum plugs did you? They will cause that kind of problem.
Thanks for the advice! The plus I installed are the recommended copper ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
silverslp

2002 SC1
1998 SL2

Just wanted to give an update; I replaced the ICM, went for a drive and all is good. I just find it strange that both the right coil pack and the ICM would coincidently go bad at the same time I was doing plugs and wires. Thanks to all who contributed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The gen-3 ICM is know to cause that problem all too often. That is why I told you to go find an older one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!