SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
Howiler215
Howiler215 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
Default 5 speed swap no spark

I swapped in a 5 speed into my 92 sl1 and now have no spark. I have good fuel pressure but no spark at all. Following the Haynes manual it led me to the ignition control module. I ordered a used ICM on eBay popped it on and the car fired right up. Battery is charged and reading 12.6V

I put the battery tray etc. back together to test drive it and same problem came back. Cranks over healthy but no spark. I replaced the crank sensor already even tho it ohmed 800. Also replaced coolant temp sensor twice and connector.
I checked all the fuses and wiring from the crank sensor to the icm and checked continuity from the icm to the pcm. I tried a different pcm and still no spark. Iím at the end of my rope, I went thru all the trouble of swapping to manual after I couldnít get my auto working and havenít even got to test drive it. The car ran great before pulling the transmission, although Iíve barely driven it I bought it with issues, and donít know any history on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Howiler215's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Howiler215 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Howiler215 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 5 speed swap no spark

If the ICM is good then the problem is in the connectors, usually the one with the 6X signal. Did I direct you to the gen-1 DIS info in my photo gallery? Car will not start without that 6x signal and the connector gets old and fails. Junkyard and pull a clean used one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:00 AM   #3
Howiler215
Howiler215 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
Default Re: 5 speed swap no spark

I will go to a junkyard and grab some new connectors I know I spread them open a bit sticking my meter ends in there. One other thing I just noticed is the Haynes manual says to check the black and white wire for resistance it says it should be 200 ohms. The other end of that wire goes into a splice with some other black and white wires. I have continuity on that wire but my meter says 001. Iím not sure if Iím doing this test wrong but the wire seems fine itís only maybe 5 inches long I have all the tape and plastic peeled back from it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Howiler215's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Howiler215 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Howiler215 is offline   Reply With Quote