SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
rfisher
rfisher will become famous soon enough

Default can car painters be shysters too?

hi sages- haven't seen a paint question on the forum since I started in 08. twice in the last 5 years I had a recommended body shop painter, match and paint the silver metallic paint on the hood of my L!00 sedan. the paint was peeling off the center of the hood then proceeded to rust. inquired carefully if he knew what to do. told me he could do it and it would be permanent. clipped me for 300 . after a year it started peeling/ rusting again. took it back and he wanted another 100 to correct it. permanence was denied. gave him a 2d chance. a year later the job recrapped. no 3d chance. fed up with his shop. either a chump or a scammer. anyway not wanting the rust patch to grow and perforate the hood, decided to ask another painter to match and mix me a pint of the right paint(how much can that be- $35?) , then chip, sand, prime and brush paint the job myself. what think? your cherished advice sought if you have experience with this on a Saturn. thanks tons bob f . -ps hiring out car repairs seems to be as risky and hellacious as ever. sorry for the bad attitude.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: can car painters be shysters too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
hi sages- haven't seen a paint question on the forum since I started in 08. twice in the last 5 years I had a recommended body shop painter, match and paint the silver metallic paint on the hood of my L!00 sedan. the paint was peeling off the center of the hood then proceeded to rust. inquired carefully if he knew what to do. told me he could do it and it would be permanent. clipped me for 300 . after a year it started peeling/ rusting again. took it back and he wanted another 100 to correct it. permanence was denied. gave him a 2d chance. a year later the job recrapped. no 3d chance. fed up with his shop. either a chump or a scammer. anyway not wanting the rust patch to grow and perforate the hood, decided to ask another painter to match and mix me a pint of the right paint(how much can that be- $35?) , then chip, sand, prime and brush paint the job myself. what think? your cherished advice sought if you have experience with this on a Saturn. thanks tons bob f . -ps hiring out car repairs seems to be as risky and hellacious as ever. sorry for the bad attitude.
^^ I have seen some Youtube videos that show some excellent results with brushed paint AFTER a lot of wet sanding and buffing. However, these were non metallic paints. You will not be pleased with a brushed metallic paint.

Metallic paints require them to be sprayed.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Once rust is in the metal it will continue to decay. Have you looked under the hood to see if its rusting from the inside?

I used to be very careful with out Saturn's paint, but in the last couple of years we have gotten little rivers of rust at various points and I realize it's inevitable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rj 2000 LS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rj 2000 LS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rj 2000 LS2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Car painting can be an art or paint brushed. Professionally for new car looks or a Rustoleum can of paint applied with a paint brush for diy ok looks. Other than the two door coupes, Saturns aren't beauty queens. A pint of custom paint will probably cover the entire car once when done by a pro.

You probably paid more for labor than paint as it takes preparation (labor) to sand off all paint and rust to bare metal, spray primer so it sticks to metal then paint to stick to primer. Masking is labor intensive too. Then after a coat or two, sealer may or may not be sprayed. After this, polishing. Unless you know who did the actual painting, watched the process or trust the person performing the job, there are always short cuts anyone can do to save time and make a profit. Was the entire hood repainted or just part of it? Matching factory paint is another area requiring talent as old paint fades and talent can tell how to match up paint so it won't stand out as off color.

If the new paint peeled and rust burst thru, the preparation wasn't done correctly. That was the giveaway to a less than professional paint job. My low brow touch up paint using nail brushes lasts years on all the scratches collected over the years. Zero rust thru. NYC salted roads challenging every paint job.

If you get custom paint matched for diy painting, you're now into diy painting needing a sprayer, masking tape, paper, various sanding grades, sanding tools, primer and some time on a dry day. Indoors requires consideration of over spray painting things that shouldn't be painted. Outdoors requires a windless day as dust and debris will stick to fresh paint. Metallic paints may be easier than solid colors that show dirt specks needing polishing. As always, the more you put into a project the more you'll get out of it. In this case, a better paint job if everything is done right.

Last edited by fdryer; 04-17-2019 at 03:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:14 AM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Yes, painters can be bad just as some mechanics might be. One must find people they can trust to get a good recommendation for such work. As for me, I found that a national body and paint shop nearby has a fine painter and who's color matching is excellent. The company is Caliber Collision Center.

Just a reminder: if the paint job is to be done right it will also include the clear coat on top of the colored paint. It all depends upon what quality level you're seeking.

304,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote