SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #1
Lightfoot2002
Lightfoot2002 has a spectacular aura aboutLightfoot2002 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
Default Exhaust manifold questions.

Hello All. For quite some time my 2002 SC2 5 speed with 195k has been running progressively worse. It stumbles and hesitates upon acceleration. The engine heats up to the point of the electric cooling fan coming on. And there is an occasional smell of rotten eggs. And lower mpg.
I saw a rather large crack in the after-market exhaust manifold that is on the car. Could the computer be reading a lean condition and putting more fuel in thus clogging the CAT? I want to replace the after-market exhaust with an original cast iron one. Are there different types of original exhaust manifolds for this year? I see ones with an integrated cylinder CAT, and some without that feature. My engine is a DOHC type. Did it originally come with a integrated CAT?
The previous owner modified the secondary air tube that runs between the diverter valve and the exhaust manifold. Where can I find and original tube that will fit an original exhaust manifold? What year did Saturn start putting in the secondary air pump system and related parts? Thanks for all your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lightfoot2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lightfoot2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lightfoot2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Exhaust manifold questions.

All 2001-2002 (and some 2000) S Series came with a pre-cat built into the manifold. Since it sounds like you need the secondary air injection parts, you're going to need to go to a junk yard and pull all of those parts off. Buying them separately on ebay would be too expensive.

Do yourself a favor and drill out the catalyst on the OEM maifold before putting it back on. As the average mileage increases on these S series, the honeycomb is usually in bad shape or clogged as our engines burn oil like crazy. This won't set a check engine light as long as the air injection pump does it's 30 second power on when the engine is cold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
Lightfoot2002
Lightfoot2002 has a spectacular aura aboutLightfoot2002 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2

Thanks for your info. Could you explain in further detail about drilling out the catalyst on the pre-cat? Is there a hole that gets clogged over time from carbon deposits? Can a used OEM exhaust manifold pre-cat be cleaned with penetrating solvent?
Concerning the secondary air system, all I need is the metal air tube that runs between the diverter valve and the exhaust manifold itself. Does this metal air tube differ in shape and length between a SC1 and a SC2?
Thanks for all your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lightfoot2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lightfoot2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lightfoot2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #4
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot2002 View Post
Thanks for your info. Could you explain in further detail about drilling out the catalyst on the pre-cat? Is there a hole that gets clogged over time from carbon deposits? Can a used OEM exhaust manifold pre-cat be cleaned with penetrating solvent?
If you look up into the coffee can shaped bottom piece of the exhaust manifold you'll see that it is filled with a honeycomb like material; this is the catalyst he is talking about. It gets clogged and to resolve you hack it out so that it is free flowing. Since you have it off doing it now is a proactive measure so you don't have to deal with it in the future.

2001 SL1 MT (428,500 km @ 01/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (272,500 km @ 01/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (120,506 km @ 01/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I removed it from mine when I rebuilt the engine.

Here is the before picture.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote