SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
cjhsa
cjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Bad Front Axle Bearing (Not wheel bearing) ?

Thought I had a wheel bearing go bad again. Turns out its the bearing on the other end of the axle, where it mates to the (front differential?). Passenger side. Shop says this part is no longer made (no surprise there) and that it must a similar part must be special ordered. At least they will have it by Wednesday.

Anyone ever experienced this failure? It sounded exactly like a wheel bearing.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjhsa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjhsa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cjhsa is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: Bad Front Axle Bearing (Not wheel bearing) ?

Cj,
Look here. I did a full write up on how to rebuild/replace that bearing, with all parts numbers and tools needed.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204332

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

Last edited by lord_varon; 07-31-2017 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: typo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
cjhsa
cjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the roughcjhsa is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L

Thanks John!

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cjhsa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
Cavell
Cavell has a spectacular aura aboutCavell has a spectacular aura aboutCavell has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 3.0L
2003 VUE 3.0L

thats the axle intermediate shaft bearing assy? my new vue has a new pass side axle. and caliper. i didnt look to closely to see if the inner bearing assy had been touched. vue seems pretty smooth now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:41 AM   #5
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Cj,
I messaged you with my response already... Let us know how it turns out.

Cabell,

Those parts rarely go bad I have found... in fact, mine was not the issue at that point. So if you have new C/V axle and brakes, you should be fine. If it does go bad, my write up is the answer.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #6
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

Their first attempt did not go well. They called me yesterday and said it was still making the noise, and they had ordered another part to try again today. This is crazy to me. I own a 33-year old BMW that I can still get any part for. Why would this part be unavailable when it's so critical?

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2017, 06:19 AM   #7
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

It's hard to tell where a front wheel bearing noise is coming from. I too had replaced the passenger wheel bearing only to have the same noise as before. If you have AWD I would remove the driveshaft to make certain it's not drivetrain related. I checked the intermediate bearing by looking for slop or play and found nothing. Replaced the driver side bearing and the noise stopped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:58 AM   #8
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

I am very lucky to have a shop willing to try. I feel bad for them though. No parts available? What is this, a 1967 Studebaker?

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:01 AM   #9
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
It's hard to tell where a front wheel bearing noise is coming from. I too had replaced the passenger wheel bearing only to have the same noise as before. If you have AWD I would remove the driveshaft to make certain it's not drivetrain related. I checked the intermediate bearing by looking for slop or play and found nothing. Replaced the driver side bearing and the noise stopped.
I asked about replacing the entire CV shaft assembly. They said there is nothing wrong with it. Yes to AWD. Are you saying disconnect the rear driveshaft?

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
atikovi
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsa View Post
Are you saying disconnect the rear driveshaft?
Yes, to rule out the center support bearing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:06 AM   #11
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Yes, to rule out the center support bearing.
I've replaced that part before. It's very different (sound) when that bearing goes bad, but it could be possible.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #12
lord_varon
Advanced Member

2008 VUE 3.6L

Cj,
Did they actually find a matching intermediate shaft, or just swap out the bearing? If not the actual shaft, might want to take them my write up and have them follow the instructions. I will say though, my issue was actually not the intermediate shaft.... despite four or five different mechanics telling me that it was, My REAL issue was actually the center support bearing on the rear drive shaft, which all those same techs told me was just fine. So, try dropping the drive shaft and drive the vehicle without it for a while....you might be surprised.

John

aka
Lord_Varon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #13
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

They just swapped out the bearing. Twice. Waiting on take #2 results. If still bad, I will have them drop the rear driveshaft and take it for a spin. I owe them nothing but a diagnostic fee, if that, at this point.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #14
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

And btw, I swapped the center support bearing not once but twice. The second time I had the driveshaft rebalanced as well. Unfortunately that shop no longer exists, so I'm out of luck with any possible warranty.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

So, they are now saying the bearing the took off is fine, and feel the issue is in the transmission. They also said the carrier bearing is fine as are the wheel bearings. So, is this car headed to the scrapyard?

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #16
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

Too quiet in here!

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #17
atikovi

Drive it til it blows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #18
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Drive it til it blows.
Lol! Was thinking that. Not really but a little.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #19
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

Outside of this the vehicle is in very good shape. Would folks here consider fixing it? And up to what cost? I'm asking what you would do in my shoes.

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #20
cjhsa

2007 VUE 3.5L

Turned out to be the DRIVERS side front wheel bearing. smh...

2007 VUE AWD V6 3.5L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!