SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 12:59 AM   #1
lowespitt
lowespitt is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Take a look at my EGR code P1404

Well the car is 3 days old to me and the SES light came on and went off 3 or 4 times already. Last time it came on I stopped at Autozone and they pulled P1404 which is

"An exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system is used in order to lower oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emission levels caused by high combustion temperatures. The EGR accomplishes this by feeding small amounts of exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber. When the air/fuel mixture is diluted with the exhaust gases, combustion temperatures are reduced.

A linear EGR valve is used on this system. The linear EGR valve is designed in order to accurately supply exhaust gases to the engine without the use of intake manifold vacuum. The valve controls exhaust flow going into the intake manifold from the exhaust manifold through an orifice with a control module controlled pintle valve. The control module commands the EGR by applying a 12 volt duty cycle to the EGR valve. This can be monitored on a scan tool as desired EGR position.

The control module can monitor the pintle position with the EGR pintle position signal. This sensor uses a variable resistor with a 5 volt reference, a signal circuit, and a ground. The signal circuit monitors changes in voltage on the variable resistor as the pintle moves.

This diagnostic will detect the EGR pintle position not returning to the learned closed position due to foreign material lodged in the pintle seating area, or due to a defective EGR valve. The VCM will command the EGR valve fully open to attempt to clear the valve of any foreign material, although the vehicle must be at cruising speed for this to occur. If the third attempt to clear the valve is unsuccessful, the code P1404 will set."

I pulled the EGR off and this is what I see:

Now I assume the pintle is that thing in the middle. It is spring loaded, has some carbon build up on it. And sticks alil to open. Do you think cleaner will take car of that carbon or should I get a new egr valve. Anyone know how much that is as I have a 100 deductible on the warrenty. It probably wont make sense to take it back to the dealer. Any clues.

Thanks,

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lowespitt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lowespitt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2003, 01:57 AM   #2
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

The pintle usually sticks in the open position due to carbon. Often cleaning it while working the pintle in and out gets rids of the egr code.

If you have had the car for only 3 days, take it back to where you bought it and scream. you may well get the valve replaced without having to pay the deductible. If not, I would try cleaning it. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2003, 02:03 AM   #3
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I will only add, DO NOT just chunk the valve in a bucket of solvent! Clean the pintle seat and shaft CAREFULLY with an old toothbrush and some carb/throttle body cleaner. (If you are carefull, you can use Varsol, kerosine, charcoal starter fluid, or even gasoline)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
Bsmith
Bsmith is on a distinguished road

If it uses the same EGR valve as mine the part was gonna be around a $100 from saturn plus labor. You already know how to do the work so I'd just buy the part from Saturn if the cleaning doesn't suffice. I too have a $100 deductible so I did it myself on my 95 SC2.
BTW welcome to the board.

Sold it when I moved. sniff... sniff....
'95 SC2 funky rootbeer color. Yes I know black gold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bsmith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bsmith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2003, 04:23 PM   #5
lowespitt

Follow-Up

Been 50 miles since the cleaning and still no light. The cleaner definitly made the pintle easier to move. Appears this will become a 3000 mile ritual since its so quick and easy. Also I think a seafoam cleaning and some fuel injector cleaner is in order. Thanks for the input. I had used car dealers.

-Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lowespitt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2003, 07:16 PM   #6
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

What state are you in? Many have a smog warranty or "passes state inspection" warranty the used car dealers have to follow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2003, 11:47 AM   #7
lowespitt

Well I'm in Pittsburgh PA which does have emission testing. Whenever we picked up the car it had a new emission sticker good til 12/04 along with the regular inspection. This was a used car dealer who when we called about the EGR being under warrenty asked if Autozone had the part we needed. I prefer to keep the car out of anyones hands but my own. Hopefully the cleaning will take care of it. Dealers are a PITA!! Thanks for your help guys.

-Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2003, 02:28 PM   #8
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

While you are in a cleaning mood I would give the throttle body a good bath those two parts seem to be what need regular cleaning that is often overlook in maintenance

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:19 AM   #9
Scout238
Scout238 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
1996 SL1
Default Re: Take a look at my EGR code P1404

My EGR was a sticky one... and I would clean it and every couple thousand miles I would have to clean it again. The little piston would get stuck in the closed position.... I went to a pick and pull and found one that worked so much better and got it for $15. No problems since.
87 SL1 101K
-Nathan
Cheap way of doing it :P
(college student)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scout238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scout238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread